PDA

View Full Version : Wish list for T:ane CM

narrowgauge
June 11th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Chris

This is for your information, not a sly dig about doing something to CM. It is really a combination of a bug list in bold and a wish list below, compiled from a variety of posts on the main forum.

1: Copy/Version in My Content menu. This creates identical copy and increments the version number. Done
2: 'AssetID; column width should be freely adjustable, not restricted as at present-Done
3: 'Category' heading needed in main menu.-TS12
4:"Download" dialog window does not show asset size at the start of the download.-TS12
5: No display for daily cumulative download. -TS12
6: Shortcut (hot keys)\keys non-functional.-TS12
7: Clicking a selected item in the list should unselect all other selected items. -Done
8: "Import Content Folder" defaults to 'Documents' instead of remembering last used folder. -Done
9: "Invert Selection" missing from Edit menu option. -TS12
10: Picklist transfer between CM and Surveyor. Open Picklist in CM. -TS12
11: Would be nice to switch between icon view and text view in the CM window itself (and on a per-window basis), rather than changing it in the settings; closing all the windows, then re-opening them. -TS12
12: Scrolling speed too slow when using up and down button. -TS12
13: Fix An option to 'Hide Selected Assets from Surveyor Listings'. -TS12
14: Copy/Clone. in Main menu. Clones original, copies original Username and assigns default AssetId. -TS12
15: Star rating facility for sorting. -TS12
16: Copy/New Version. Copies original, increments AssetId Version number only. Opens for edit. -Done
17: 'Make CDP' defaults to TS12 and spawns one copy for each CDP. Refer thread 'Export to CDP Bug' -Done

21: Background colours give insufficient contrast. -New
22: "Download" dialog displays KUID for some messages and Names for others. This makes tracking progress nearly impossible. It should be one or the other, or preferably both for every message. -New
23: Search text box should be anchored to the Save button, not to the right margin. -New
24: Asset Preview window should have right-click option to adjust shade of background (from black to white via gray). -New
25: Multiple pick list for different types of content. -New
26: "Hover" help where appropriate. -New
27: Review Error/Fault messages to more accurately convey the problem in 'user' language. -New
28: Identify error/fault type by colour. -New
29: Insert blank line between each message. -New
30: Naming Custom filters so they're not called "custom" when active. -New
31: The ability to save the contents of a CM window to a plain text file. -New
32. The ability to populate a CM window from such a file. -New

Peter

ianwoodmore
June 11th, 2015, 09:37 PM
CM Custom search filters

Custom search filters need to be saved outside of assets.tdx so that they survive a crash or upgrade of Trainz version. New

New custom filter "Not_in_Use". About a third of assets on DLS have never been used in any DLS hosted Route or Session.

New custom filter "kind". The current category filter has some composites where kinds are lumped together eg Track Object. In others such as Train Component it hides kind pantograph and includes mesh and texture not env some of which are not related to train components. Whereas Splines is really a technique and includes flora, scenery and building assets that are already in those categories.

A series of new filters to sub-divide faulty and has warnings. These are far too large. This is in order to assist in repair and upgrading as well as creation.

Some suggestions:

ALIAS
MESH_IM
MESH_LM
MESH_LOD
MESH_PM
NIGHTMODE
PAINTSHED
RUNNING NUMBERS
SPEEDTREE
UNIFORM COLOR

I'm assuming that

AND NOT
Authorised

Takes care of "Locked" assets. This one is needed on assets "Available to Download".

ianwoodmore
June 11th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Category-era needs to be extended for next decade and for futuristic assets such as MARSZ. Add 2020s.

Category-region needs revision to include additional countries in accordance with ISO-3166 Country Code. Possible additions are:

Gaza Strip GZ
Guernsey GG
Isle of Man IM
Jersey JE
Macau MO
Midway Islands UM
Saint Lucia LC
South Sudan unknown
Wake Island UM
West Bank WE

Category-Class

Has some classes that are quite extensive such as "Locos" and "Rolling Stock", but probably needs extending to cover new techniques such as Maglev.

Whereas Vehicles is very limited essentially generic land, sea, air. What about space, undersea and fantasy.

Scenery is a pot pouri that is inadequate and tends to be a dumping ground when creators don't know what to classify as.
To this end a new class for unclassified needs to be generated so that assets without a cat-class such as much of Auran legacy assets , can be grouped until classification is determined. Some people are temporarily using ZX which is now obsolete. I suggest UNC.

ianwoodmore
June 11th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Kinds without Category-Class

Gameplaymenu
Procedural-track
Servlet
Tracksound

andi06
June 12th, 2015, 02:46 AM
1. The ability to save the contents of a CM window to a plain text file.
2. The ability to populate a CM window from such a file.
3. Access to the Picklist in CM.

As an example this would make it possible to save the enabled/disabled state of local assets and to restore it following a crash or reinstallation.

4. As Ian notes, the ability to filter by asset Kind remains essential.

WindWalkr
June 13th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Hi all,

I won't reply to this on a point-by-point basis at the moment. Just wanted to duck in and say: please keep the suggestions coming. Many of these are already on our short list. Some of them are already resolved in internal builds. But the more feedback we have, the better we can tune our future development efforts.

chris

Dinorius_Redundicus
June 13th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Would be nice to have a filter that detects seasonal assets. I guess this could be done by looking for the presence of a season-selector tag in config.txt.

Dap
June 14th, 2015, 01:02 AM
I'd like to have a way to sort assets by category-class. When planning freight operations, knowing the category-class of a rail car asset is essential. A sort is much easier than opening every asset you are considering to make sure it has the correct category-class. I liked the feature in TS12 that allows you to view the config file without opening and closing the asset. Any chance we can bring that back?

David

Mike10
June 15th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Since CM must know the poly count of the lowest LOD meshes in order to tell us they are over 500, perhaps it could tell us the actual value..... I would find that useful.
For example;
! The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance.
becomes
! The low-detail meshes total xxx polygons. As this is more than 500 polygons this may have a negative impact on performance.

If it were 501 polys, I wouldn't be too concerned, but if it were 2,000 I'd have a lot more work to do on that asset.
As it stands I have to go digging into the dependencies to find all the bits used and check the poly counts individually to get a total (once I've actually located all the source files of course).

Mike.

andi06
June 16th, 2015, 05:37 AM
It may already exist but I can't find a CM method to filter on speed-tree assets.

clam1952
June 16th, 2015, 06:53 AM
I have one for SpeedTrees Andi, search Speedtree library > list dependants then save as SpeedTrees.
seems to be holding ok after closing TANE down and restarting.

clam1952
June 16th, 2015, 06:56 AM
One I can't find is any way of adding keywords?

andi06
June 16th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I have one for SpeedTrees Andi, search Speedtree library > list dependants then save as SpeedTrees.
seems to be holding ok after closing TANE down and restarting.
It does indeed do the job, so the wishlist item becomes:

- Custom filters such as this to be available in Surveyor via the filter box.

JCitron
June 16th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Naming Custom filters so they're not called "custom" when active. :)

We create a custom filter such as Obsolete AND NOT Built-in and save it.

Later on we need to choose that filter from the list, which we do fine.

The problem is the filter now shows Custom as the name instead of the one we've called it. This makes figuring out who is who, and which filer is doing what difficult if there is more than one search window active. Now this brings up the next item as they're somewhat related, though indirectly....

----

There is no overwrite prompt or option when saving a modified filter. We've created a filter and wish to modify it later and save. Since it's called "custom filter" we have to remember what we called it and type the name exactly, otherwise, we end up with more than one version of the same filter.

John

narrowgauge
June 16th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Currently, when we need to edit a session in Surveyor, we are required to work on a clone of the original session. This presents no problem but is lacking in two areas.

#1: the clone produced has the same username as the original making it difficult to identify the modified session in the game menu.
I suggest that the username should have a number appended as "username-1". This number should be incremented when further work is carried out

#2: The clone is assigned an AssetI number based on the default number series which is illogical.
I suggest that the original AssetId should be applied with an incremented version number. If this is implemented it could make #1 unnecessary as the new AssetId will obsolete the original and thus the game menu will show only the modified one

It would be preferable to have both.

Further recommendations related to the above.

We currently have a Clone Function, we really need two.

3# In the Main menu - Copy/Clone. This clones an original, copies the Username of the original and assigns a default KUID.

4# In the My Content menu - Copy/Version. This creates an identical copy and increments the version number.

Finally, all the functions listed on the main menu should be available under the My Content menu heading.

Peter

WindWalkr
June 16th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Currently, when we need to edit a session in Surveyor, we are required to work on a clone of the original route.

You are required to work on a clone of the session, not the route. You're fine to work with a locked route, you just can't modify it without cloning.

(Your other points are good ones, just don't want any confusion over the above.)

chris

BuilderBob
June 16th, 2015, 09:40 PM
#2: The clone is assigned an AssetI number based on the default number series which is illogical.
I suggest that the original AssetId should be applied with an incremented version number. If this is implemented it could make #1 unnecessary as the new AssetId will obsolete the original and thus the game menu will show only the modified one

How would that be different than opening the route for edit then saving?

Note that under the current route management procedures when the asset ID version number is incremented the original asset is deleted, which is probably not what people would expect a 'clone' procedure to do. Cloning should preserve the original, and that means that a new asset ID should always be created.

narrowgauge
June 17th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Builderbob

Note that 'route' was an error of mine, it should have been 'session'. If you want to edit a session in Surveyor, CM requires you to work on a clone, no problem except that the clone applies a completely new default KUID, and an exact copy of the UserName which is confusing in the game menu. What I am asking is that that new session should have the same name as the original with a 'signal' number appended so that it can be found in the game menu and it should have a new number based on the UserId and the current next user default number. This allows it to co-exist with the original session

About 'clone' versus 'new version'.

When you clone a asset it is most likely that you want to create a copy of another users asset for editing and use on your machine. In which case you will want to assign it a new AssetId. Hence it seems logical to give it a new number but repeat the Username with an incremented 'signal' to identify it.

New 'version' is different. Here you want to edit your own content. It is not possible to save that newly edited version unless you change the 'version number' which you can't do currently without without making a separate copy, finding where CM put it, changing the version number then importing the folder. as soon as you do that the old version is obsolete (but not deleted) anyway. I am suggesting that all this can be condensed to a single click.

I forsee that fixing content faults is going to occupy a lot of people for some time, there is no reason to make it tedious or cumbersome, if processes can be streamlined, after all that is what computers are supposed to do.

Peter

BuilderBob
June 17th, 2015, 01:00 AM
Yes - Session versioning is a very different thing than route versioning.

New 'version' is different. Here you want to edit your own content. It is not possible to save that newly edited version unless you change the 'version number' which you can't do currently without without making a separate copy, finding where CM put it, changing the version number then importing the folder. as soon as you do that the old version is obsolete (but not deleted) anyway. I am suggesting that all this can be condensed to a single click.

I forsee that fixing content faults is going to occupy a lot of people for some time, there is no reason to make it tedious or cumbersome, if processes can be streamlined, after all that is what computers are supposed to do.

While it is certainly possible to reduce that process to one click, I can't really see it as a priority item.

It is very seldom that the ID version is incremented without making other changes. So it is just as easy to up the version number while the asset is open for editing as it is to invoke an 'UpVersion' Command and then re-open the new asset and make the other changes. I actually created an UpVersion routine, but find that I now only use it when there are more than about 3 or 4 assets to be upversioned at once - doing it as part of the other edits is just as easy.

Then instead of right-click and Submit, it's File / Import Contents Folder / Select and OK. You have to initially set CM to find the asset at the correct location, but once that's done it seems to remember it OK.

narrowgauge
June 17th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Builderbob.

When I was young, more than 80 odd years ago I was taught a very useful lesson "If you don't ask - you don't get"

Chris will give us whatever he can when he tackles the code changes for CM. In the meantime, I don't understand why you are trying to water down our attempts to make CM the best possible adjunct to T:ane that it can be. I have used your method, yes, it does the job and would suffice for occasional use, but CM is not just an occasional tool, it can often be a full time tool and deserves to be treated as such. As I see it, saving multiple key strokes by a onetime code change is a worthwhile target.

Peter

andi06
June 17th, 2015, 06:37 AM
An option to 'Hide Selected Assets from Surveyor Listings'
Equivalent to opening the selected assets and adding 'privileges/permit-listing 0'.