PDA

View Full Version : Sounds, sounds, sounds... How to deal with them?

TRam__
June 10th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Propose to discuss the ways of setting and controlling sounds.

First, that i do not like most of all, that in TANE hotfix the script function "World.Playsound" was broken. In pre-release and release versions it work very close to the way it work in TS12, but now it apears completly unstable. May it be because it was set a lower priority for the sound thread? And will that be fixed or a newer way of "sound launch" will be proposed?

Next. What exactly tags "max-distance" and "min-distance" mean? The parametres of "Exponential Distance Clamped Model" in OpenAL? Or something else?

And the key question. Any possibilites of script volume control of looped sound-script sounds in future? And any ablilty to create a sound library for soundscripts as a separate asset?

RPearson
June 10th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Yes something happened to loco sounds - particularly steam loco sounds - with the release of the hotfix. Steam locos starting up with sounds, particle effects and wheel animation all sync'd together worked as well as could be expected in TS12 and TANE-prehotfix. I currently don't see/hear the sound part of all that until the drive wheels have completed several rotations and the number varies and the sound can fade in and out. I consider that as broken.

As TRam suggest maybe engine sound thread was set at a lower priority in which case I suspect this may only show up as a problem on lower power pc's. I definitely see it on mine and I don't like it at all.

Bob Pearson

WindWalkr
June 10th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys. Could you let me know

* Whether this happens in a simple test route, or only in a larger route?
* Which loco(s) you're using which exhibit sound problems?

A short video would also be great, if you can capture sound.

I would assume that this is related to attachment points, but a trivial test didn't seem to show anything.

chris

TRam__
June 11th, 2015, 03:22 AM
Download any "2TE116" locomotive from DLS and check the sound. The diesel sound in my case is unstable and pauses (yes, the script don't uses the value of World.Playsound, it gets the sound lenghts from config.txt, there are pauses even in continuous sounds). In some cases all sounds dissapear. In case of 1 loco there should be a mix of 4 -6 sounds, in case of 2 locos as on the video = a mix of 8-12 sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4IjqogOpro

WindWalkr
June 28th, 2015, 08:57 PM
I suspect that this is now fixed. Please let me know if you continue to have problems after the next patch.

chris