PDA

View Full Version : KIND Resource

andi06
June 9th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Looking at the 500 poly issue and Chris's suggestion that a specific asset kind might need to be created for mesh-libraries, it occurs to me that idea this might be expanded slightly.

Having produced a mesh-library for tracks I know that at some point in the future I'm going to want to access those same textures for rendering fixed-track assets, probably by way of texture-replacement. This could have been done in the past by creating a texture-group asset and simply dropping all of my meshes into it along with the images (complying with the original idea that any asset could be a mesh library). This may or may not still work but I know that you won't like it. At the same time it would not be very sensible to copy the images over to a separate texture-group which would then leave me with two very large assets to update whenever a texture gets altered.

Would there be a case for a new asset kind, say Kind-Resource, which would essentially be a depository for any type of file, meshes, textures, icons, sounds, html etc, which are to be made available for use by client assets.

Hence a resource asset would contain, optionally, a mesh-table and a textures-table together with whatever additional listing tables are appropriate.

As I see it this would have several advantages:

1. Validation routines would know that, whilst the files themselves would need to be verified, there would be no chance of them being used together in a single object instance and hence there would be no need to check things like LOD and no benefit in doing so.

2. Validation would also know that any unlisted resources are 'foreign' and could be flagged as such.

3. There would potentially be an increase in flexibility and a reduction in the number of dependencies for more complex assets since everything could be in one place.

4. Files accessed by script could be required to specify the source which would ensure that these have been validated in some way.

5. In view of their potential use as attachments it might be appropriate to reapply LOD checking to kind mesh because there would be an alternative way of providing a mesh-library.

WindWalkr
June 9th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Seems reasonable.

chris