PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Lights

RRSignal
June 6th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Hi Chris and the Community,

A little over a year ago, the subject of dynamic lighting in T:ANE was brought up. I understand that these could provide realistic lighting effects via, say, street lights or yard lights, but there were some concerns potential issues with performance and/or hardware limitations. Can we get an update on this?

Another user's question reminded me about this. I tend to use a lot of streetlights - among other things - in my SEPTA route as it's primarily very urban and suburban, and have even created many of my own using the older alpha/light pool method. It's conceivable that I might have dozens - perhaps over 100 - in a single night scene at any given time. Also, how will this affect general nightmoding e.g. lighting in windows of houses, etc.?

Old thread:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?112019-Lighting-Pre-T2-Routes-Existing-Light-Assets&p=1293792&highlight=dynamic+light#post1293792

WindWalkr
June 6th, 2015, 02:46 AM
A little over a year ago, the subject of dynamic lighting in T:ANE was brought up. I understand that these could provide realistic lighting effects via, say, street lights or yard lights, but there were some concerns potential issues with performance and/or hardware limitations. Can we get an update on this?

Being able to do this kind of thing is one of the end goals of the T:ANE project. It's strictly capable of throwing around a lot of lights right now (we've tested this) but performance does definitely suffer as a result. There are a few things that need to happen before we can release this to the developer community:

* We will probably want to switch to deferred shading. This one has always been on the cards but it is a lesser priority to TS12 content compatibility. E2 is architected to take advantage of this approach, and it will buy as substantially more dynamic lights than we can run with the current forward-rendering path.

* We introduce some substantial optimisations to dynamic light rendering (in terms of efficiently selecting which objects are affected by which lights, etc.)

* Given that there will always be upper limits on how many dynamic lights can be in place, we may also need to introduce logic to control which of the lights are active in a given scene, with user controls for performance vs graphical detail, and content-creator controls over priority, etc.

Short version, still on the cards, still a while off.

chris

RRSignal
June 8th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.

And, for all the work you do on Trainz. Warts and all, it's still a great sim! :)

WindWalkr
June 8th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.

And, for all the work you do on Trainz. Warts and all, it's still a great sim! :)

.. and wouldn't be without you guys. So thank you also.

chris