PDA

View Full Version : Developing Preview Asset Viewer

ianwoodmore
June 5th, 2015, 01:46 AM
I quite like the Preview Asset Viewer available from TANE Content Manager.

It covers a much wider range of assets than RailYard.

But I feel it could be a far more useful tool for creators and repairers.

Currently you can only view an asset that doesn't have any problems.

If CM shows the asset has Faulty Dependencies, Missing Dependencies, or is faulty a message is displayed:

"Could not find or could not load asset: < kuid:...>"

How much better if you could view the defective asset.

While beta testing the viewer I saw a good example where a bogey was offset vertically from the rolling stock.

ianwoodmore
June 5th, 2015, 01:51 AM
IDEA Number 2

Provide a print and/or screenshot function

paulhobbs
June 5th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Even better, create a thumbnail directly from the viewer.

Paul

narrowgauge
June 5th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Another thought. Change the background to transparent, black details on a black background is not a good look.

Peter

BuilderBob
June 5th, 2015, 02:38 AM
Provide a print and/or screenshot function

Alt + PrtScn works just fine from the preview window.

WindWalkr
June 5th, 2015, 02:45 AM
Another thought. Change the background to transparent, black details on a black background is not a good look.

What do you mean by "transparent" exactly?

chris

narrowgauge
June 5th, 2015, 03:34 AM
My bad choice of words. Meaning a background that does not hide any details regardless of their colour. Meaning any colour that will provde contrast for any asset component from white to black. same process that T:ane uses with a mask. When the preview image is currently displayed, masked items are shown with a transparent background. I thought the same process could be applied to the background.

Peter

clam1952
June 5th, 2015, 04:50 AM
I feel it could do with some lighting? so you can see the effects of lighting on an asset, meaning it may look fine in the viewer but not as good when viewed in Game say at midday.

andi06
June 5th, 2015, 05:42 AM
I agree with Ian that this is an excellent tool.
I would like to see:

1. An error box 'Cant view this asset' rather than a blank screen.
2. User-definable background.
3. A control (middle mouse button?) to move the centre of view, particularly when looking at consists and at objects with an off-centre origin.
4. Correction of behaviour when FOV is changed via Control-MouseWheel.
5. Command line access, along the lines of ...\TANE.exe -preview <kuid> or trainzutil.exe -preview <kuid>

narrowgauge
June 5th, 2015, 06:25 AM
I withdraw my comment and agree with Andi.

Peter

WindWalkr
June 5th, 2015, 06:41 AM
4. Correction of behaviour when FOV is changed via Control-MouseWheel.

I think you'll find that it's a zoom rather than an FoV change, but.. can you clarify what 'correction' you're talking about here?

chris

andi06
June 5th, 2015, 06:58 AM
In game unshifted mouse-wheel performs a zoom, control-mousewheel changes the FOV.

In the preview window the same thing seems to be true but a single click of control-mousewheel causes a huge shift in FOV and the asset almost disappears. The answer my be as simple as disableing control-mousewheel in preview.

pcas1986
June 5th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I'd like to see the LOD levels change. It always seems to show LOD0.

WindWalkr
June 5th, 2015, 07:59 AM
I'd like to see the LOD levels change. It always seems to show LOD0.

This is really something that should be controlled manually, rather than automatically as it is in game (possibly with an "automatic" option as well..)

chris

paulhobbs
June 5th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Excellent idea - the ability to manually change the LODs in the preview plus a poly count display.

Paul

pcas1986
June 5th, 2015, 09:07 AM
This is really something that should be controlled manually, rather than automatically as it is in game (possibly with an "automatic" option as well..)

chris

If you are suggesting a control such as a button onscreen to select LOD levels then I think that would be great. Plus, I imagine it would be easier to code.

The preview asset is really one of the better things to come out of TANE in my view. However, I agree that it is more a tool for creators. The ability to zoom in and out at any angle is fantastic. I do have trouble getting the rotation to stop at times.

ianwoodmore
June 9th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Further testing in Preview Asset Viewer I discovered that I can view a route or session like a 3D minimap.

BUT first you need to stop rotation and click thumbnail to "zoom" in and out, as some opening shots are below ground.

You can only do this for assets that are:

a. not Faulty
b. not have Faulty Dependencies
c. are not Payware

However, seems to work with Missing Dependencies.

One of Arraial's is interesting - TRAINZ CHESZ SIMULATER V2 kuid 524343:100197. It shows a chess board and chess pieces, and is accompanied by some nice music.

Also look at Philskene's Bidye Traction Railroad, Port Lolita, and Port Ogden. Smoke, shadows, animations and water reflections are good. But note lack of sky in Port Ogden where sky is black except at horizon.

pcas1986
June 9th, 2015, 10:31 PM
If you peek at <kuid2:523:1972872:1> LMS Duchess Crew03 then you might think the crew fallen foul of the bad guys in Game of Thrones.

rumour3
June 9th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Excellent idea - the ability to manually change the LODs in the preview plus a poly count display.

Paul
Perhaps this kind of function could be part of a 'developer mode' for the preview window, accessible only when the settings option to enable developer tools (I'm on the iPad so can't remember the exact option) check box is chosen.

You could simply port across the performance information display into the preview.

R3

BuilderBob
June 9th, 2015, 11:52 PM
You could simply port across the performance information display into the preview.

The profiler already works just fine with the preview window.

andi06
July 20th, 2015, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the additional camera control in Preview Asset (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:AssetPreview)

(http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:AssetPreview)However the key assignments are not in the least bit intuitive. Could these be duplicated, perhaps to Control+cursor keys and Control+Pageup/Pagedown. Better still to middle button drag which would be consistent with other 3d software such as Max, Autocad, AssetX.

pcas1986
July 20th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the additional camera control in Preview Asset ....

If you move the viewed asset sideways using the A and D keys then the rotation pivot point moves as well. Is that intended?