PDA

View Full Version : CM Joys and Sorrows

narrowgauge
June 3rd, 2015, 12:48 AM
Not many joys but several sorrows.

1: I imported a CDP by drag and drop from TS12, Tane accepts it and tags it as obsolete. Why? It is the only version in existence. I tried to up-version it but we don't have that facility in TaneCM.

2: Almost all my VR content is shown with the AssetID column truncated, losing 6 characters off the end, thus no version numbers. I've been pushing this point since the first version, and while it may seem trivial, it makes working on existing content in Tane most frustrating. Why is it so difficult to make the AssetId column wide enough for the widest potential number or better still, just make it adjustable without limitation. Potentially, we could see the following entry: <kuid2:123456:123456789:123>. 28 characters.

3: Uploading to the DLS. Like most of us, we would like our content on the DLS to download and be error free in TaneCM. Considering that nearly all TS12 items of build 2.9 will be accepted by Tane, why then do we have to write to 3.5 build when updating items. I think that will be a motivational barrier to updating especially now when Tane needs trouble free content as possible. I know it puts me off.

I suggest that new items are expected to be built to 3.5 while updates can be whatever the latest build is for that item on the DLS.

I have several of my items listed as built-in that were made in UTC or Trainz, and transplanted warts and all. If that sort of fudge is acceptable/expedient to get TANE on the market then I suggest my proposal merits consideration.

Peter

WindWalkr
June 4th, 2015, 07:31 AM
1: I imported a CDP by drag and drop from TS12, Tane accepts it and tags it as obsolete. Why? It is the only version in existence.

Right click, "view asset versions". Hopefully that will explain why.

Why is it so difficult to make the AssetId column wide enough..

It's not difficult, it's just one of the many small things we haven't got to yet. It will be fixed.

3: Uploading to the DLS. Like most of us, we would like our content on the DLS to download and be error free in TaneCM. Considering that nearly all TS12 items of build 2.9 will be accepted by Tane, why then do we have to write to 3.5 build when updating items.

3.5 is actually quite a bit more strict than 2.9. It's fair to say that many well-formed assets built at 2.9 can be trivially up-versioned to 3.5, but it's also fair to say that many problems which would be detected at 3.5 will have their errors suppressed at 2.9.

We want the DLS to be as error-free as possible. By ensuring reasonably strict criteria for uploading, we help push it in that direction. Sure, we could take the opposite path and say "anything goes" but I don't feel that this would be very good for our users, even if it makes the content creator's life easier.

I think that will be a motivational barrier to updating especially now when Tane needs trouble free content as possible. I know it puts me off.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here? If you're making new content now, it should ideally be built at v4.2. If you're trying to upload v2.9 content, then that suggests that it's very old content that you've had lying around for ages and have only just gotten around to uploading? I grant that this can occur, but it's not something that I'd expect to be a regular problem. You're obviously seeing a different usage pattern but I'm not sure what? Can you expound on this further?

chris

narrowgauge
June 4th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Chris

Thanks for responding. I will be patient.

You are correct, it is old content that has been through several rebuilds.

The main one is the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway route, almost an antique. It will never be updated to T:ane standards, it contains about 1800 items made especially for it, and the team that built it over a ~3 year period are almost all gone to other hobbies or are involved with family matters.

The other content, 30" Victorian narrow gauge, was made just at the beginning of the 2004 era and has been completely rebuilt to TS12 standards and surprisingly, all but a very few items were accepted by T:ANE and look good. When you manage to fix the problem I am complaining about I will try to up-build them all to 3.5, if possible 4.2. At the moment it is too difficult.

Thanks

Peter

WindWalkr
June 4th, 2015, 08:56 AM
The main one is the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway route, almost an antique. It will never be updated to T:ane standards, it contains about 1800 items made especially for it, and the team that built it over a ~3 year period are almost all gone to other hobbies or are involved with family matters.

Understandable of course, but a shame. From what I have heard over the years, the route sounded pretty awesome, and perhaps something that could really have taken advantage of some of the things that T:ANE brings to the table.

What is the situation with the ownership of the content? Is it something that could be opened up to the wider community, to bring up to date?

chris

narrowgauge
June 4th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Chris

As all the content is on the DLS, it seems that N3V have the right to use it, although I will enquire from the team what their thoughts are. I don't think there would be any difficulty.

Peter

WindWalkr
June 4th, 2015, 09:37 AM
As all the content is on the DLS, it seems that N3V have the right to use it, although I will enquire from the team what their thoughts are. I don't think there would be any difficulty.

Is the route itself available on the DLS? I wasn't aware of this..

chris

RPearson
June 4th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Try this one Chris: Darjeeling Himalayan Ry TS12 Orig, <kuid2:44700:810000:7>. It's at build ver 3.6.

Originally made to run in TRS2004 IIRC.

Ever finish your walk about Peter?

Bob Pearson

narrowgauge
June 4th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Chris,

It is available to N3V on the DLS if they want to pursue your thoughts. Only a handful of items needed fixing

Bob

Long time-no speak. I hope you are well and adjusting to retirement. I think my walkabout days are passed, now I spend my days with Trainz/T:ane and books. T:ane is a bit frustrating at time but I am confident it will become the best yet.

Peter

WindWalkr
June 4th, 2015, 09:41 PM
It is available to N3V on the DLS if they want to pursue your thoughts. Only a handful of items needed fixing

Thanks for the news. I'm a little snowed under right now but i'll definitely chase this up in the not-too-distant future.

chris

BuilderBob
June 4th, 2015, 10:15 PM
3: Uploading to the DLS. Like most of us, we would like our content on the DLS to download and be error free in TaneCM. Considering that nearly all TS12 items of build 2.9 will be accepted by Tane, why then do we have to write to 3.5 build when updating items. I think that will be a motivational barrier to updating especially now when Tane needs trouble free content as possible. I know it puts me off.

This is applicable to a large number of simpler scenery items. There is a way around this which meets some of the requirements, albeit additional work may be required by some users, and there is a lot of testing involved.

If you update/repair to build 2.9 and test in 09/10/12 at 2.9 it is usually possible to get a version that works across those three versions. Then change the build to 3.5, test in T:ANE, and upload to DLS. That upload then works across 4 versions with no change other than the build number for 09/10. There are some exceptions, mainly for 2010 which had some inconsistencies in some tag definitions.

Group/Community effort is suitable for this, as the changes needed are usually common to a range of similar assets, and they can be done in bulk.

WindWalkr
August 14th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Have been doing a bit of testing on this route. It's showing its age, but I do like it a lot. I'm sure that you've discussed this to death previously but i'm still getting up to speed:

Was this built using satellite data, or completely by hand?

ie. If we were to back-fill some of the empty baseboards and missing surrounding mountains from real data, could we expect that it would line up accurately, or is it likely to differ from reality to a moderate degree?

Any idea of how far you can see on a good day? I'm guessing exceeding 50k?

chris