PDA

View Full Version : Maps

gooner28
December 7th, 2014, 10:23 AM
As you may have read some of my recent threads, you may know that I have recently purchased trainz mac 2. I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a feature (like on the microsoft train sims) where you can load up maps on to the layout and place track over the track on the map, and things like that.
Hope you can understand my badly worded help request,
Chris.

JCitron
December 7th, 2014, 11:31 AM
You can do this using what are called basemaps. These are actual objects in Surveyor which are 1000 x 1000 meters. You edit the objects and place your own OS map or aerial view on them, by replacing the image. Once they are edited and committed (I'm not going through all the details now), you'll have a basemap of your map which you now load up into TSMAC.

In Surveyor you then place the object, which is usually just below the surface, and should be locked on another layer. You can now trace over the map with your tracks and place other objects in their place. Keep in mind that these are flat images so you will need to adjust the height of the land on the surface.

Hope this helps.

gooner28
December 7th, 2014, 12:39 PM
but how do you get the maps up in the first place?

Falcus
December 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Jcitron, hes looking for DEM maps and the like. MSTS actually shipped with an engine to make Topo maps.

@Gooner
Look into TransDEM or MicroDEM. TransDEM is a program that you can buy for about $30 that will generate high quality Topo maps for Trainz, and even texture the map in a variety of ways to make accurate re-creation of a given area possible.

Falcus

cascaderailroad
December 7th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Basemaps are the el' cheepo'doro' way to do it, and if you PM me, I can explain better, and help you make a map, I could even make you a free 1 dimensional map.

What exactly are you trying to reproduce ? What specific area, or interest ?

JCitron
December 7th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Jcitron, hes looking for DEM maps and the like. MSTS actually shipped with an engine to make Topo maps.

@Gooner
Look into TransDEM or MicroDEM. TransDEM is a program that you can buy for about $30 that will generate high quality Topo maps for Trainz, and even texture the map in a variety of ways to make accurate re-creation of a given area possible.

Falcus

I realize this.. However, he's using a MAC. There might be a way of importing the Ordinance Survey DEM information and maps into that version using some utility, but I don't know. He would need to have Boot Camp, Parallels running Windows 7 64-bit or up, or some other PC he can load TransDEM on to in order to process the data into Trainz format if he wants to go that way.

@Gooner - to bring the map images into a basemap, you need to download or scan them. Once they are tga images, they can be placed on the surface since they are now texture files.

John

Chris750
December 7th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I used base maps at first but found them cumbersome and a pain getting everything lined up correctly etc, so I gave in and got Transdem and was able to easily (once I found the correct tutorials in the included pdf) set up a 250km route and a 80km route with track already laid and terrain heights already created. Can't do that with base maps. Just my opinion of course, do what you think is best for you.

mjolnir
December 8th, 2014, 12:03 AM
There are a number of assets on the DLS which are similar to what you describe, basically a bare DEM map which can be imported, with lines for track and roads in the surface of the map. I forget the name of them, as it has been some years since I discovered them, and I decided at the time that they were not quite to my interest.

I myself use a couple of other techniques. First, if I am looking to produce something related to an actual location, I find a map of that location, cut it up into 720 x 720 unit bits, which I map to a 720 x 720 unit plane surface in Blender, and export as a Trainz asset. I then adjust the height of this as needed, and use it as a template to lay tracks, and other features. If I'm doing something imaginary, then I just start with a baseboard in Trainz and use various spline objects (usually different types of fences, power / telegraph poles &c) to mark the contour lines on the base board, then use various of the spline and landscape adjustment tools to raise and lower the terrain as needed.

ns

gooner28
December 8th, 2014, 11:44 AM
How do I PM (I'm guessing that means private message)?

oknotsen
December 8th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Think you can run a windows schell or emulator on a Mac and run windows applications on it.
Thats how some of our consultants run our (windows based) software on them.

How do I PM (I'm guessing that means private message)?Click on someone's username and select Private Message from the tiny window that shows up.

JCitron
December 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Think you can run a windows schell or emulator on a Mac and run windows applications on it.
Thats how some of our consultants run our (windows based) software on them.

Click on someone's username and select Private Message from the tiny window that shows up.

That will work... They have a very nice VM called Parallels which handles graphics and performance quite well for a virtual machine. The alternative would dual boot the machine using Boot Camp which sets up a separate partition which can hold another OS. In this case, of course it's Windows.

I believe I mentioned this in my post above. See post #6.

John