PDA

View Full Version : Locomotives of The S&C

chris2001trainz2010
October 18th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Hello, all. Chris here.

Does anyone know what locomotives (besides the locos in the pack and the LNER V2) ran normally on the Settle and Carlisle in the late 1950's and early 60's? I'd like my sessions to be at least somewhat prototypical.

BTW: Google has been no help.

Keep on truckin',

paulhobbs
October 18th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Hello, all. Chris here.

Does anyone know what locomotives (besides the locos in the pack and the LNER V2) ran normally on the Settle and Carlisle in the late 1950's and early 60's? I'd like my sessions to be at least somewhat prototypical.

BTW: Google has been no help.

Keep on truckin',
Let me Google that for you (enters 'Locomotives of the S&C' in Google...). The first link is this thread, the second is a link to a pdf document on the trainzclassics site giving you exactly what you asked for.

Paul

Kennilworth
October 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Hi

There would be former LMS 4-6-0s - rebuilt Royal Scots, Patriots (both rebuilt and original) and Jubilees. 2-6-0 Hughes Crabs, 2-8-0 WD Austerity, BR 2-6-0s, 4-6-0s Standard class 5 and Clan class 4-6-2s which were based at Carlisle and regularly turned up at Leeds. You would also see 2-6-4 and 2-6-2 tanks on the line.

The Royal Scots, Patriots (both versions), Jubilees and crabs are all available as payware from http://www.gplocomotives.com/ , the WD is on the DLS as is a BR standard class 4 2-6-0.

There would be many other locos that put in occasional appearances such as former LNER class B1, B16 etc. I don't recall the V2 being a regular on the line but they would put in an occasional appearance and could be seen regularly at Carlisle on both passenger and freight trains to and from Newcastle and over the Waverley route. At Carlisle you would also see ex LMS 4-6-2s Duchesses and Princess classes, also available at the link above and there is also a Princess on the DLS. Other locos would be ex LMS 4-4-0s both Classes 2P and 4Ps(midland compounds) both on the DLS or available from the link above.

In the mid 60s you could see locos from most regions on enthusiasts specials and I recall seeing a rebuilt Merchant Navy at Leeds (Clan Line) during this period.

Regards

Brian

chris2001trainz2010
October 18th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Thank you both. That will most certainly help.

Keep on truckin',