PDA

View Full Version : TS12 SP1 HF4 - Is it worth upgrading?

ThePoliceman009
September 27th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Hello there.

I currently have Trainz 12 Build 49922. As you have seen, I have been quite hesitant over TS12 SP1, as my current signature states. However, with support for earlier versions being dropped by N3V and (soon to be) JointedRail, content is starting to be released for SP1 only, I have been thinking of upgrading. Problem is, I'm not quite sure if it would be worth it, considering all of the hate towards it, and the bugs associated with it. Now before you go on and say "no stay with sp0" or "you should upgrade", I want to know the reasons why I should upgrade or not.

As for what I have, I currently have some Jointed Rail locomotives bought from SimulatorCentral (sigh), and I've been hearing reports that they become built-in content once you update. Is that true? Because it would be a pain in the *** if that were to happen. I also have a TON of content (100,000+) that I can't delete otherwise it might affect an asset or route in some shape or form. Most of the content is from earlier versions (TS2009 and earlier).

So, I want your answer. Is SP1 worth getting, is it a bunch of baloney, or should I just wait for Trainz ANE?

pware
September 27th, 2014, 05:27 PM
From your tag line it looks like you have already made up your mind so you would not be swayed by any opinions that disagreed with that! So I will concentrate on some of the claims in your post.

... considering all of the hate towards it, and the bugs associated with it.

Every new version or upgrade of Trainz has generated heat and "hate mail" and that includes Trainz 12 SP0 - there are those who considered it to be inferior to TS10 or TS09. According to some, every new release since Trainz 2004 was a step backwards. These people are far more likely to complain and post rants on the forums that those who, like myself, had no problems.

I want to know the reasons why I should upgrade or not. ... or should I just wait for Trainz ANE?

In your case do not upgrade. Why? You will clearly be unhappy with anything other that your current set up. As for T:ANE, forget it - the better graphics, better physics, additional features and experiences, all of which promises to make most of your current setup look like cr@p, will make you even more miserable. Stay with what you have and know, always avoid the future!

RRSignal
September 27th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Here's hopefully more a helpful answer. Based on what I can tell (esp. based on your sig) then there is no point in upgrading. Even that aside, it's probably not worth it at this point: T:ANE will be out in a few months. No point in breaking what's working fine. You might find that, even after T:ANE comes out, you may want to stick with what you have for awhile, in the case of the inevitable teething pains and also the fact that there just isn't a whole lot of content that can take full advantage of it yet.

Bear in mind that the support being dropped has nothing whatsoever to do with your version or service pack. TS12 is good for another two years and then that ends, regardless of what version you are at. By then, the content may or may not have caught up for T:ANE although, of course, hopefully it will have.

Edit: Keep in mind that you can have a SP1/HF4 installation as well as your current, existing one, and migrate at a later date. I doubt there is much point in doing so, especially if you've been buying your content through the SimCentral store - you probably won't be very happy. And, moving content between multiple installations can be time-consuming and annoying. But, it's an option, in any case.

pware
September 27th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Here's a helpful answer

Ah, RRSignal, you have spoiled all the fun!:)

Kennilworth
September 27th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Hi

Why not leave your current installation as it is and make a second installation that you can patch up to SP1. That way you can try it out without risking any of your current content.

As to whether it is worth doing, only you can answer that as everybodys opinion will differ in some way. Personally I have had few issues with SP1 once I got used to it.

Regards

Brian

clam1952
September 27th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I did the same as Brian, kept a 49922 install and did a clean install and patches to 61388 Sp1 HF4, actually I have two, one with the DLC and one without. Not had any major problems with either of them, that may be due to the fact I do not have any faulty content. What I can't fix, which isn't much gets binned.

ryanstrains
September 27th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I would say make a second install for SP1 and figure out what does and doesn't work so if/when you upgrade to TANE, there will be much less of a headache if you do need to repair some content.

Falcus
September 27th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I remember one person on this forum already "Upgrading" to Build 61388, and an hour later his next post was "Ooop! Lost too much content, reverting now, be off for a day or two"...... Seriously, unless you're willing to give things a chance, maybe figure out *why* its different or *what* the specific issues are, and do it with an open mind, just stick with what you have...... There were, and still are, alot of little issues when you upgrade from 49922 to 61388... Just the way it is. But some of them are so SIMPLE to fix its ridiculous, but if you don't take the time to figure that out, or just assume its not worth your time, you'll still be stuck where you are anyway.....

That said, I applaud your opening your mind at least enough to ask.... Still, you might get better reception if you didn't couch everything with an attitude that didn't scream "God I really don't want to do this".....

Personally, I've been on 61388 since release. Most "Broken" Content is easily repairable (Like 5 minutes or less for the more complicated things, 2 seconds for alot, and there are tools available to make this cake). There are some things that are gone forever from a 61388 install, but not much that I've found.

Bugs? What bugs? Please list any concerns you have about 61388 Bugs, and Im sure many here will be happy to address them..... I personally know of NO bugs that are specific to 61388 (Not that I KNOW none exist, but I don't currently KNOW of any). I will say that in my experience the CM and TADDAEMON are far more stable in 61388 then they ever were for me in the previous builds or games....

Finally, I personally couldn't be bothered to keep multiple installs. I'd only do it if I was a content creator and I wanted to make sure that content would run in multiple versions.... I have enough trouble tracking down assets once, much less making sure more then one DB is up to date..... Not to mention Disk Space. I already have a 1TB Drive dedicated to my current install, and I have neither the money nor the inclination to get another.....

You're going to do what you want to do, regardless, but good luck anyway,
Falcus

trainz321
September 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
or try making a restore point on your comp. then install the update. if you hate it go back to the restore point easy as that.

~zack

ThePoliceman009
September 27th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Alright, well, I can't really do a second install due to the size of my disk, however, the replies here seem to be positive. Maybe when my disk gets cleared up then I can do a second install and see how it goes.

I'm just worried that the DRM is going to make some of the content I have restricted. I sometimes change out horn sounds on locomotives and seeing as I bought some from Simulator Central, that's going to be a problem. And since I have a TON of content in my game (last time I checked it exceeded 150GB !!! ) it could take a loooooong time to fix all of the faulty content.

pware
September 27th, 2014, 08:20 PM
<Serious Mode ON>

My understanding of the DRM issue is that it only applies to content from the Trainz DLC. I have Murcheson 2, Settle and Carlisle, Blue Comet, some VR wagons and D Class locos; from the DLC and have had no problems with using or access any of them. I do not have an JR content so cannot give advice or the benefit of any experience there. I have never attempted to alter any of the DLC assets anyway.

While a second install would be a possible solution, like Falcus, I tend to agree that it would only be of use to a content creator.

Vern
September 28th, 2014, 02:14 AM
I have gone several times in the last few months from 49922 to 61388, regretted it, uninstalled (often with the loss of WIP) then reinstalled back to 49922.

Main reason? The ghastly mess of CMP 3.7 which freezes at the slightest misplaced mouse click and, despite what the N3V cheerleaders might say, does not suddenly start working again after a few minutes or a few hours.
Secondary - other factors are the inability in Surveyor to trim surplus tiles from a "God" view to check what you're doing, severe difficulty in deleting rulers etc.

Disadvantages in staying with 49922:-
There are already some TS12 assets on the DLS which have been created or upgraded and only work in 61388. In addition some assets which work okay in 49922 show up red in 61388 so there's a danger when you come to run your route in 61388 it might not load everything, or work at all.
To ensure maximum forward compatibility into T:ANE, it's therefore probably best to create routes at least in the latest version of TS12 rather than the older one.

Even when T:ANE does emerge, be it December or if the release over-runs into January/February there are still going to be people working in TS12. My advice would therefore be, if you're using Trainz purely for driving or your use of the DLS and CMP is fairly limited, probably worth upgrading to 61388. Likewise if you want your routes to have maximum compatibility in TS12 and going forward, you need to eliminate assets which are going to appear red in 61388. However if you're a DLS or CMP addict, then it might be worth sticking with 49922, at least for now.

pware
September 28th, 2014, 02:21 AM
The ghastly mess of CMP 3.7 which freezes at the slightest misplaced mouse click and, despite what the N3V cheerleaders might say, does not suddenly start working again after a few minutes or a few hours.

Vern, I must be one of the N3V cheerleaders because I have never had that problem.

... other factors are the inability in Surveyor to trim surplus tiles from a "God" view to check what you're doing, severe difficulty in deleting rulers etc.

I don't know what you mean by your first point (the surplus tiles in "God" view) but I did experience the ruler issue until either the SP1 or the HF4 update - since then it has not been an issue.

pfx
September 28th, 2014, 02:26 AM
I had delayed installing TS12 SP1 but after buying a new drive, decided there was no harm in doing the installation totally seperately of my existing TS12. So far, I have been fortunate enough not to encounter any problems and everything seems to work fine (touch wood). I've downloaded a massive amount of assets via CM. Otherwise, I haven't made much use of it thus far so my opinion may change at a later date.

Vern
September 28th, 2014, 05:01 AM
I don't know what you mean by your first point (the surplus tiles in "God" view) but I did experience the ruler issue until either the SP1 or the HF4 update - since then it has not been an issue

Deleting unwanted "tiles" (or baseboards if you prefer)... In 49922 you can zoom the view right out to an overview of the whole route, RMB click to centre on a tile and then from the terrain menu delete it. In SP1 HF4 you can only delete at the normal working height for placement etc. Not a jobstopper, true but less convenient certainly.

The other right PITA in going from 49922 to 61388 (actually I'm doing it now against my better judgement) is the time it takes, with 49922 >> 57720 and 58414 >>> 61388 breaking down and rebuilding all the ja files in the Built-In folder.

boleyd
September 28th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I did not know that 61388 was the nasty thing that forced you to the closer view to delete things. That really is a pain.

I have no problems I can blame on the 61388 release otherwise. I am grabbing DLS stuff all the time with no issues. The Content Manager runs the best of any so far. I have seen where more than one person continues to have CMP issues. Since it is just a big database N3V probably uses Microsoft products to manage it. There may lay some of the problems with broken or out-dated Microsoft stuff. I was having some grief on other things and I found that my Ownership settings had changed, blocking access to a few things. Even now, if I load a new program, I sometime have to go in and change the access permissions. Trainz 61388 upgrade was hit with this. Fortunately had seen it enough to fix it.

22alpha
September 28th, 2014, 10:19 AM
If it helps I didn't actually go through the patching process which seems to be where all the not-so-fun stuff is happening. I just grabbed my userdata folder and moved that someplace safe. I removed the old TS12, complete uninstall and then I just installed the 61388 build direct. Once it was in I moved my userdata folder back and did an EDR. I was back up and running within an hour or two.

Mike

* Also I keep TRS on it's own SSD drive. Certainly makes things easier when it comes to moving/upgrading/backing up etc.

RRSignal
September 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM
That's basically how I patch these days. It's fast and if the patch glitches, it's little time lost and little time to repeat the process.

Falcus
September 28th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Alright, well, I can't really do a second install due to the size of my disk, however, the replies here seem to be positive. Maybe when my disk gets cleared up then I can do a second install and see how it goes.

I'm just worried that the DRM is going to make some of the content I have restricted. I sometimes change out horn sounds on locomotives and seeing as I bought some from Simulator Central, that's going to be a problem. And since I have a TON of content in my game (last time I checked it exceeded 150GB !!! ) it could take a loooooong time to fix all of the faulty content.

Actually N3V In all of its infinite wisdom, WILL Keep DRM content Current with their latest Build.... You're more likely to lose out on it on older builds at some point (Yes, even though the older versions don't do Mothership Checks the way 61388 does. All it would take would be for them to update the build Numbers on it in a few certain ways....). You don't sell $120 worth of DRM Content to someone that just plunked out $60 for you latest version, just or it to not work to the tune of "Sorry, that only works with the previous version".... N3V has a vested interest in keeping their DLContent working the way they want it to (Recent Server hiccups aside, *Glares @ Zec*).

Your installation is only 150MB? Nice, bet it loads up in less then a second.... Mines in the Triple Digits GBs (I let the indexing get up to 113GB before I took a screenshot and stopped it)..... I run CM3.7, and have no issues with it that I didn't have in other installs, except that I have far fewer of them.... I remember TRS'06 - "Open CM, go make a sammich, and come back in time for the Gear Kerchunk sound so you know its ready!" (And no, CM3.7 does not do this). CM3.7 has been nothing but an improvement in my experience. Can you Still Freeze it? Yes, particularly if you have a large TAD and you tell it to do too many things at once when your computer doesn't have enough RAM or Processor Power under the hood to deal with it. But for my part, I have it DLing off the DLS, Installing off FTP Black Pages, and installing 3rd party content (To the tune of up to 10 install windows open at a time) all at the same time. Now, keep in mind I'm running an i5 with 8GB Ram, so when either TAD, CM, or Trainz freezes or crashes, my computer doesnt even sneeze, just goes to Desktop and asks me if I'd like a drink with that..... From what I've seen, 80% of operational issues with CM and TAD, regardless of build, are due to a lack of *SYSTEM RESOURCES*, not the (Admittedly out of date, and cumbersome) programming that went into them. Alot of people that run this Simulator simply do not have enough Ram or Processor Power to accomodate the TADDaemon..... And you will have problems when you do that.....

After that, Follow Alpha22's advice about patching, I've never done it that way, but it makes sense to me. I'll have to remember that for TANE.

Falcus

Vern
September 28th, 2014, 11:34 AM
One other advantage of 61388. The non-rail spline pullout has its own straighten tool, negating the need to keep popping next door to the track menu and borrowing that one.

JCitron
September 28th, 2014, 12:11 PM
As someone who had those awful freezes, long validation sessions, and other ghastly problems with 61388, I'll say go for it. Yes, go for it. There are some great features such as merging finally working after all these years with TS12, splines you can straighten from the splines pull-out - the one Vern mentioned, and other little tweaks.

There are many causes of data validation not including the network problems, and are related to the local install. With the help of the community, I did some really hard system and soul searching to find the underlying causes of my system and program failures. It turns out that my problems stemmed from many other sources outside of TS12 61388. I'm not saying that server issues didn't help matters and caused some issues at the same time, which only confused things more. I had some corrupted assets caused by a marginal hard drive. After replacing the hard disk, and reinstalling Trainz and my data, I cleaned up the corrupted data by redownloading or installing from backups the assets that I had to replace. Now I am able to remain up and running with no problems. Since that time, outside of the big server glitch, I have had no database validation sessions to speak of other than those caused by installing third-party assets, and then they're pretty short.

Having said this though, I highly recommend backing up everything somewhere else before upgrading. There are external USB 3.0 backup drives available for well under $100.00 now at BestBuy and other retail outlets. These drives are worth their weight in gold and then some when it comes to stuff like this. Just keep in mind that no data is really safe anywhere, and having multiple copies of it lessens the chances of losing everything. Having an external copy in another safe location lessens the total loss even more, but asking someone to archive Trainz data offsite is a bit over the top I would think unless they do this for a living.

John

pdkoester
September 28th, 2014, 12:15 PM
If it helps I didn't actually go through the patching process which seems to be where all the not-so-fun stuff is happening. I just grabbed my userdata folder and moved that someplace safe. I removed the old TS12, complete uninstall and then I just installed the 61388 build direct. Once it was in I moved my userdata folder back and did an EDR. I was back up and running within an hour or two.

Mike

* Also I keep TRS on it's own SSD drive. Certainly makes things easier when it comes to moving/upgrading/backing up etc.
This is exactly the way I do it, move user's data, remove TS12, install it with 61388 build (not upgrade old), move user's data back. After the EDR, you will want to check for some content that will need minor tweaking, like the .WAV files in some items that were not up to compliance.

Paul

ex-railwayman
September 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM
If it helps I didn't actually go through the patching process which seems to be where all the not-so-fun stuff is happening. I just grabbed my userdata folder and moved that someplace safe. I removed the old TS12, complete uninstall and then I just installed the 61388 build direct. Mike

So, don't we have to install all the other patches that we've collected over the years as well then, from 46957 to 47059 to 48249 to 49922 to 57720 to 61388, I never knew that, why didn't someone tell us, we've all been doing it wrong.....:o

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

JCitron
September 28th, 2014, 07:06 PM
So, don't we have to install all the other patches that we've collected over the years as well then, from 46957 to 47059 to 48249 to 49922 to 57720 to 61388, I never knew that, why didn't someone tell us, we've all been doing it wrong.....:o

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

If you have an older install and did incremental upgrades, yes this is the way it's done. But... If you purchased a new download version, it comes with 61388 already inclusive, meaning that all the incremental patches are in there, right to the present version. Recently I did that and no longer use my boxed set to do the install. With the one-click, well almost a one-click, the install goes in, I then copy my data over from my previous install, or backup in my case, and then do an EDR overnight.

John

ZecMurphy
September 28th, 2014, 07:19 PM
As a few others have noted, installing TS12 SP1 separately is generally a good way to go. At a minimum, it allows you to progressively import the content that you want, rather than have a large chunk of content to go through (note, copying the 'original' and 'local' folders between installs is NOT recommended :) ).

Please ensure that you have at least 1-2GB of free space for the TS12 SP1 installer to run, it needs to unpack and copy the large 'ja' files for the built-in content. If you have the digital download edition from simulator central, then your download links will already be providing the TS12 installer with SP1 as well.

Also, Vern, the ability to delete baseboards from Satellite view was a bug that was repaired in SP1 (albeit a handy bug), and was repaired due to issues that it could cause (keep in mind that there is an issue with accuracy of many tools when you are zoomed too far out as well).

REgards

Vern
September 29th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Also, Vern, the ability to delete baseboards from Satellite view was a bug that was repaired in SP1 (albeit a handy bug), and was repaired due to issues that it could cause (keep in mind that there is an issue with accuracy of many tools when you are zoomed too far out as well).

Bug, or useful feature? It already comes with a warning that a rogue delete can't be undone (well strictly you could exit without saving) but I personally found it much more useful and easier to orientate when zoomed out in overview than trying to delete tiles from the normal working view.

One other disadvantage of SP1 HF4 though, is erratic spline behaviour if you split a section - either track or road. It doesn't maintain the relative gradient either side of the new spline point, but places it back at ground level.

Falcus
September 29th, 2014, 07:51 AM
@Zec

Yea, I'd have to second Vern's opinion on the Baseboard Deletion "Bug".... If that was a bug, can I ask to go back to organic please? I mean, we can merge routes now and far better then before, but have you seen some of the C-Rap that DEM (At least the older versions) likes to throw at us? I have 2 Maps, Tacoma to Everett WA, and another title Everett to Blaine but is actually Edmonds to Blaine, so I ended up with something like 50-100 square miles of Overlap, and to make it more confusing the second map is shifted by half a base board (E-W)...... I tried for a couple weeks at one point to merge those in some kind of way that made sense, the second week was spent entirely deleting Baseboards by hand, and at one point I looked at the Overview and gave up because I had barely scratched what had to be deleted.....

Tack on that the map Im currently working on could use roughly a third of its (Guesstimating here) roughly 3-4000 baseboards trimmed to streamline it, and this gets to be a ridiculous proposition doing it Ground level Line of sight.......

Falcus

JCitron
September 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I agree that removing baseboards from a far distance is helpful, I also got bit a couple of times with the bug too and ended up deleting what I didn't want to in error. This meant I had to go back to my most recent save and pickup where I left off. Luckily I was smart and remembered to save after clipping out a section and not have to start over.

@Falcus,

I have run into situations like this as well even with NGS generated DEM downloads. I had to do the same with a bit of trimming. I created a bit map image (screen snapshot) of the overview map in the merge, and then traced off what I wanted to clip. on the image.

Then I went into the candidate map and marked off, using some brightly-colored textures (I think I chose purple or something really bright like it) and traced along the edges of the baseboards that needed trimming. It took quite a bit of time as I retested the fit periodically as I trimmed boards. There's nothing like measuring a gazillion times then cutting once.

John

ex-railwayman
September 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM
If you have an older install and did incremental upgrades, yes this is the way it's done. But... If you purchased a new download version, it comes with 61388 already inclusive, meaning that all the incremental patches are in there, right to the present version. Recently I did that and no longer use my boxed set to do the install. With the one-click, well almost a one-click, the install goes in, I then copy my data over from my previous install, or backup in my case, and then do an EDR overnight.
John

Ahhh, righto, thanks for that info. John, much obliged.

Cheerz. ex.

ZecMurphy
September 29th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Hi All
We may look at re-introducing it in future to some degree if we can improve the precision and ensure that it will be stable. However as noted before, it was actually a bug that needed to be resolved (it was linked to several other issues related to attempting to use various tools in satellite view).

Regards

Falcus
September 29th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Well, let me know when its reintroduced.... Because, Hardware Gods permitting, I'd love to make a Seattle Sub-Division Map..... I could actually just about do that if I merged the two Maps I mentioned, though I'd be missing probably some 50-100 miles or so south of Tacoma..... I currently have Track from Tukwila to Edmonds, though the only scenicing I've done is in Seattle Proper at this point (Bar the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, I just HAD to see how Ben's Model fit the DEM, lol).

Falcus

pfx
October 1st, 2014, 04:01 AM
Main reason? The ghastly mess of CMP 3.7 which freezes at the slightest misplaced mouse click and, despite what the N3V cheerleaders might say, does not suddenly start working again after a few minutes or a few hours.

I had delayed installing TS12 SP1 but after buying a new drive, decided there was no harm in doing the installation totally seperately of my existing TS12. So far, I have been fortunate enough not to encounter any problems and everything seems to work fine (touch wood). I've downloaded a massive amount of assets via CM. Otherwise, I haven't made much use of it thus far so my opinion may change at a later date.

That phrase, being made to eat your own words now springs to mind. Having used TS12 SP1 for a couple of weeks, I've now discovered that CM 3.7 appears to crash almost consistently, for various reasons. Otherwise, things are fine but that's not much use when I can't add any content. I'm not giving up though.

Scottish
October 1st, 2014, 05:17 AM
If you have the digital download edition from simulator central, then your download links will already be providing the TS12 installer with SP1 as well.

Does this mean that I can download for a second time my legacy order for TS12 (which was before any service packs) from the download links in my Auran Profile pages? Will this download be free of charge and will it already contain SP1 + hotfixes?

If this is correct, then I think I will do a clean install and only add some of the content I have.

Scottish

ZecMurphy
October 1st, 2014, 07:43 PM
Good Morning Scottish
That's correct, if the order is in the 'legacy order history' (the old auran.com shop's order history), then you'll have full access to the digital download here. If you have issues with this, please contact the helpdesk so as we can look into your order for you (we may need to recreate it in simulator central for you).

Regards

Scottish
October 2nd, 2014, 08:34 AM
Good Morning Scottish
That's correct, if the order is in the 'legacy order history' (the old auran.com shop's order history), then you'll have full access to the digital download here. If you have issues with this, please contact the helpdesk so as we can look into your order for you (we may need to recreate it in simulator central for you).

Regards

Thanks Zec,

I will try to download it from the 'legacy order history' links in my Planet Auran profile pages. I will post the result in this thread for everybody's information and if I have any problems I will contact the helpdesk.

Scottish

Scottish
October 3rd, 2014, 05:18 AM
Thanks Zec,

I will try to download it from the 'legacy order history' links in my Planet Auran profile pages. I will post the result in this thread for everybody's information and if I have any problems I will contact the helpdesk.

Scottish

For information, the download links in the 'legacy order history' in the Planet Auran profile pages are still operational.

However they install build 46957 which was the original build at the time of my order. Therefore it is still necessary to download and install all the patches and hotfixes to bring TS12 up to build 61388.

I was hoping that it would be 61388 to avoid all the time it takes to run through all the patches.

Scottish

Lataxe
October 4th, 2014, 04:44 AM
For information, the download links in the 'legacy order history' in the Planet Auran profile pages are still operational.

However they install build 46957 which was the original build at the time of my order. Therefore it is still necessary to download and install all the patches and hotfixes to bring TS12 up to build 61388.

I was hoping that it would be 61388 to avoid all the time it takes to run through all the patches.

Scottish

I have the same issue. I'm hoping Mr Murphy will tell us what to do to obtain the latest fully-patched and hotfixed version as a download. Must we all raise a separate help desk ticket? Surely it would make more sense to update the legacy order pages so that all TS12 owners could go straight to the latest version.

Lataxe

ZecMurphy
October 5th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Good Morning All
For the moment, please contact the helpdesk if you wish to receive access to the TS12 digital download that includes the SP1 update in it.

I will speak to our admin tomorrow about seeing if we can update the download in the legacy order history system, however it may take a little time for this to be done.

Regards

BuilderBob
October 5th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I will speak to our admin tomorrow about seeing if we can update the download in the legacy order history system

Considering the number of people who claim that the upgrades are worse than the original, this would have to be optional. However I would certainly take advantage of it, even if I had no immedate need for a 61388 install.

Robert2d6
October 29th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I stopped using Trainz about 2 years ago after SP1 was introduced. I had read so many posts about issues with add on content, and since I had so much of it, I decided to stay with TS12 44922. Then I became hesitant about downloading anything or even updating any content, and finally just decided to quit altogether. So today I decided to fire up Trainz after 2 years, and I started running a session and everything works just as it did before. In reading this thread, I am thinking that if a new version is coming out by the beginning of next year, maybe I should just stay with what I have now because it all works, and run it as is. I have forgotten so much in the 2 years, it would probably be a nightmare for me to try and straighten out problems, if I installed SP1, and ran into them. I guess I will just not update any content either.

My question is, is any content in TS12 going to be compatible with the new version of Trainz when it is released, or is it a whole different animal?

oknotsen
October 29th, 2014, 05:19 PM
My question is, is any content in TS12 going to be compatible with the new version of Trainz when it is released, or is it a whole different animal?They stated that if it works without problems in TS12, it will work in TANE.

mikeaust
October 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I have just installed SP1 hf4 after holding out for a long time. I needed to be able to merge route as in the old days.
I have a separate version and intend keeping my TS12. I found the freezing is a pain, especially on saves, but I know that is the database being updated.
I have had very little trouble with CM. I find the graphics are much better, almost as much as from 2010 to TS12.
I also find it takes a long time to load the startup window.
I have had very little trouble importing assets from earlier versions.
on the whole I think it was worth the trouble but I will still keep my Pre SP1 .
On my machine I have 2004,2006, 3 versions of 2010, TS12 and SP1 HF4, so I have all my bases covered,
Cheers,
Mike

Vern
November 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM
After further issues with CMP at the beginning of the week, have reverted again to 49922. On checking the size of my userdata folder found it well in excess of 20Gb so whether I hit some sort of ceiling I don't know. However all I had to do was just click on a item in the main CMP window to induce a freeze, having got progressively worse.

I've now limited my downloads to stuff I know would work in 61388 so a route built in 49922 should work in that and by extension, T:ANE.

For those running 61388 it is certainly worth keeping an eye on the amount of stuff you have downloaded and consider a cull if it's getting out of hand - the 20Gb "limit" may vary from user to user.

JCitron
November 28th, 2014, 01:57 PM
After further issues with CMP at the beginning of the week, have reverted again to 49922. On checking the size of my userdata folder found it well in excess of 20Gb so whether I hit some sort of ceiling I don't know. However all I had to do was just click on a item in the main CMP window to induce a freeze, having got progressively worse.

I've now limited my downloads to stuff I know would work in 61388 so a route built in 49922 should work in that and by extension, T:ANE.

For those running 61388 it is certainly worth keeping an eye on the amount of stuff you have downloaded and consider a cull if it's getting out of hand - the 20Gb "limit" may vary from user to user.

Vern,

My userdata folder is well more than 7 times that and I don't have that issue. There are odd things that happen with CM though which I can't explain including the inability to connect to the server. The data management overall has been an issue since SP1 with sometimes constant Writedatabase activity which affects performance. The underlying activity might be something else, but this constant data access , no matter what's going on.

John