PDA

View Full Version : Can't edit assets in explorer

Trainsimmer07
September 21st, 2014, 05:43 PM
I'm new to Trainz. I have Trainz 12. The build number for my version is 48249. I have not been able to update past 48249. Further attempts come back saying the update is incompatible with Windows 7.

Anyhow, here's my problem. I can't edit any asset when I'm in the content manger.... I can't get the asset to come up in wordpad The screen always goes to whatever the last item was I had opened. (IE documents). Running the CM as administrator also fails to open the file in wordpad. Using creator plus also will not edit a file even though I'm pretty sure I've done everything correct. After saving and clicking on "commit", it does not change the file even though a message said within creator plus I had made a successful change.

I have the sim installed in the programs(86) folder which might be the problem..... Does Trainz act up when it's in this folder like MSTS does?????

My friend also has Trainz 12 and has no issues. He can edit stuff just fine and does not need to run the thing as administrator to do so. From what he has read online, it's possible I may have a script error within my computer not associated with any part of Trainz.

Any further ideas on what's wrong????

Thanks

rivethed
September 21st, 2014, 08:00 PM
Disclaimer: although I get paid to work on and maintain PC's to a certain standard of operability, the following are suggestions only, as I do not have access to your particular Machine. I will not be responsible if you mess something up.

That Said, My experiences: My install is also in the default Program Files (X86) folder, no issues. My Default Text editor is set to notepad, though, not wordpad. I think Notepad or a dedicated text code editor (notepad++, TextEdit) is recommended. I am trying to remember if Wordpad , but did see this snippet "This is because Wordpad is not a text editor in the same sense as Notepad" on a html coding page. There is a way to make Wordpad save without extra markup, but why bother, just go to Control Panel, Default Programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a program, scroll down and highlight .txt, and set notepad as the program to edit them.

Also, make sure you or another program, did not mistakingly change or restrict permission from "modify" or "full" in that folder (UAC can sometimes interfere with permission).

If you think there may be a problem with your Windows install (esp with how it may handles certain scripts), try running the "system File checker": type "sfc /scannow" in the start menu search field, and hit enter. It may ask for your installation disc, hopefully you have it or the manufacturer's restore disk. 8 times out of 10 it will correct an issue without one.

Just a suggestion.

BuilderBob
September 21st, 2014, 09:52 PM
My friend also has Trainz 12 and has no issues. He can edit stuff just fine and does not need to run the thing as administrator to do so. From what he has read online, it's possible I may have a script error within my computer not associated with any part of Trainz.

If you are editing the asset by selecting from the Open With ... option of the context (right-click) menu, then that's likely.

If that's not what you are doing then you should describe the steps that you go through when you attempt to edit an asset. You mention opening in Explorer, but you give no indication of what you do after that.

shaneturner12
September 22nd, 2014, 02:37 AM
Regarding running the game as administrator, this is essential if you've installed the game in the default Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder.

Shane

Trainsimmer07
September 22nd, 2014, 03:10 AM
Well, I moved the folder out of the Programs(x86) folder to the programs folder and I can now edit without any issues. Being new to Trainz, I may not be right on this, but it would appear like MSTS, Trainz DOES NOT like the Programs(x86) folder. Mind you, there is very serious debate within the MSTS community is this is truly the case. At any rate problem solved.

Pencil42
September 22nd, 2014, 09:29 AM
There's something funny going on here with Trainz, also. I don't run as administrator, UAC is enabled, my install is in the default program files (x86) folder, and I have no problems on any build / OS since TC3 on Vista. However, I know there are other people who do have issues, and running as administrator fixes the problem for them.

I'm glad your problem is fixed!

Curtis