PDA

View Full Version : Freight route building help

monkeytrainz
September 9th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I recently started making a Route, and I know how to construct a passenger line. Although, I'm not very familiar with ways to make a freight route. Does anyone have some good starter tips?

Falcus
September 9th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Welll, assuming you're going Fictional, Figure out what type of freight you want to move, and how you want to do it. Then come up with a back story. Though these 2 steps can be interchanged. Someone else recently made an outstanding (And succinct) explanation about why railroads come about in the first place, and how heavily that affects the creation of simulated rails. Or should anyway, its the difference between the end user feeling like "Gee, this is a great route, look at all the stuff I've accomplished!" and "Why am I driving a train that can't go anywhere but forward and backward through this boring countryside again?"

The why matters in alot of ways more then the how, where, or what....

Falcus

BryanMar3046
September 9th, 2014, 11:58 PM
It's really not that hard. Honestly, it's like building a passenger line but except you would include abandoned sidings, train yards, and multiple branches. (That's if you want freight in an industrial location.)
For me, I mostly do half passenger, half freight line, but the 3 tips should at least help a little..

JCitron
September 10th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Building a freight route isn't much different than building a passenger route. As Falcus says, come up with a backstory and a purpose to run your railroad. I have a rather large complicated one for my own very large fictional route. Every time I've added a branch to it, there's a backstory - a reason for it to exist. This is true even for lines that have been abandoned - I always leave some bridges, and rusty rail where it can be seen, and where there is no track I've stripped the ballast back to some dark cinders so the rail line is now a dark path surrounded with grass and trees. On one route, I even made a trail and put some static rail cars at a station like they do now for the Yuppies to see what used to run on the trail that they jog on.

Keeping this in mind, you have to understand which commodities are carried. Steel plates and sheets, for example can be used for automobiles, railcars, and even regular construction. A concrete plant, for example, can be used for making pipes and cinder blocks. These industries also need incoming materials which would be iron ore and coke for the steel mill for example. A lumber mill would take full trees and produce board lumber which can be brought to a factory to make furniture and other goods.

My suggestion is you look at maps and overhead photos such as those on Google Earth or Bing. This will give you an idea about how the industries are laid out.

John

philskene
September 10th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I suspect that I've done more freight orientated routes for Trainz that most.

If you want a few ideas, search the Download Station for routes by me, "philskene".

"Does anyone have some good starter tips?" Just one - make it interesting.

Phil

Falcus
September 10th, 2014, 10:03 PM
.....a reason for it to exist.....

Keeping this in mind, you have to understand which commodities are carried. Steel plates and sheets, for example can be used for automobiles, railcars, and even regular construction. A concrete plant, for example, can be used for making pipes and cinder blocks. These industries also need incoming materials which would be iron ore and coke for the steel mill for example. A lumber mill would take full trees and produce board lumber which can be brought to a factory to make furniture and other goods.

Another thing I'd suggest, start small. If you really wanted to have a steel mill for instance, to do it justice, you'd want to research the correct proportions of Coke, Iron, and other less ingredients, and the amount of slag and other by products you're likely to have, and then plan your track accordingly. To not do this much would be to follow others that just thew Auran's "Steel Foundry" Building down with a multi industry and called it good (a.k.a. boring and done to death). Pick simple industries to start. Something that *Just* Produces or Consumes. Most minerals are great for this (Coal for instance), because generally areas that have one Coal mine, have at least half a dozen spread around. Logging is another one. Oil is one that's a cake walk, don't even have to have a refinery, just a couple trans-load points.

Also decide how prototype/fictional you're going. Are you moving Wheat across a short line in Nebraska? Oil over the "My Minds Eye RR" in Neverthere Mississippi? or Dolphins between Colonies on Mars (This is actually doable with assets available on the DLS).

Hope that helps,
Falcus