PDA

View Full Version : whistles & questions

M60
September 5th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Does anyone know how to make a NSW whistle fade over distance not have it full volume where ever you are.
Can someone please help me design and create a headboard for my route, I do have a rough design that I drew that I can send anyone who's willing to help.

Thanks

NSWGR_46Class
September 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I have made headboards using 3 different methods

1) As a mesh based texture replacement which can only be done on a assets at base mesh level using superscript - you would have to a reskin one of the existing headboards on every locomotive you wanted to add your headboard to and would only ever be for personal use only.

2) As a stand alone trainz vehicle very hard to set up the attachment points as it needs invisible bogies. - as it would be your own work no limit on releasing it

3) As a pantograph which was the easiest for me but as far as I know I am only the second person to do this, the down side of this is it means that you need to add a attachment mesh to each loco you wish to add the headboard to and this method is only suitable for vehicles that do not have a pantograph function already in use. You could reskin one of the existing pantograph headboards and seek the creators permission to release. (this methods downfall is that you would have to re-release every loco you added the attachment mesh with creators permission or limited to locos that already have the needed attachment pointed fitted and instruct people how to change the panto kuid in the config to use your headboard)

Sound is a real issue - TS10 and TS12 handle sounds complete different, sounds that works in TS10 will often not work in TS12 and needs to be completely different - got caught out with that with the 38 class - fading whistle in TS10 is possible but hard due to soundcards with a built in 3D function. Your worst issue here as what sounds ok on one PC will sound terrible on another. TS12 forget it as it already has a built in doppler effect already.

Best advice is set up the whistle so they sound the best to suit you and your machine.

Edit all wave file with audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Does anyone know how to make a NSW whistle fade over distance not have it full volume where ever you are.
Can someone please help me design and create a headboard for my route, I do have a rough design that I drew that I can send anyone who's willing to help.

Thanks

M60
September 5th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Option 2 with the headboards sounds best as I could just re-skin the Newcastle flyer headboard you made if that's ok by you since my headboard takes mostly from the same design. With the whistle I have made them using audacity but they wont fade, even when I'm on the other side of my route which is almost 30 km away it sounds like I'm next to the locomotive.

I have made headboards using 3 different methods

1) As a mesh based texture replacement which can only be done on a assets at base mesh level using superscript - you would have to a reskin one of the existing headboards on every locomotive you wanted to add your headboard to and would only ever be for personal use only.

2) As a stand alone trainz vehicle very hard to set up the attachment points as it needs invisible bogies. - as it would be your own work no limit on releasing it

3) As a pantograph which was the easiest for me but as far as I know I am only the second person to do this, the down side of this is it means that you need to add a attachment mesh to each loco you wish to add the headboard to and this method is only suitable for vehicles that do not have a pantograph function already in use. You could reskin one of the existing pantograph headboards and seek the creators permission to release. (this methods downfall is that you would have to re-release every loco you added the attachment mesh with creators permission or limited to locos that already have the needed attachment pointed fitted and instruct people how to change the panto kuid in the config to use your headboard)

Sound is a real issue - TS10 and TS12 handle sounds complete different, sounds that works in TS10 will often not work in TS12 and needs to be completely different - got caught out with that with the 38 class - fading whistle in TS10 is possible but hard due to soundcards with a built in 3D function. Your worst issue here as what sounds ok on one PC will sound terrible on another. TS12 forget it as it already has a built in doppler effect already.

Best advice is set up the whistle so they sound the best to suit you and your machine.

Edit all wave file with audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

NSWGR_46Class
September 5th, 2014, 11:04 PM
You can do what ever you like on your own PC - as to the sound which trainz version as you have 2 listed - and it is known sound bug - turning the 3D sound option off on your sound card and in trainz may help in ts10 - no cure for it in ts12

Poor trainz sound is often due to the on Motherboard sound chips are not of a high quality and also there is a lot of digital hash from the MB involved as well.

I get decent sound from a USB sound card and a decent pair of $100 speakers - the best sound I get from trainz is using a Roland Rap 10 sound card but one of those is going to set you back at least $500 if you can find someone who will part with it as they are like rocking horse poo and a pair of Yamaha HS5 speakers - but it gives me a 47 class horn that will give you a brown trouser moment.

Option 2 with the headboards sounds best as I could just re-skin the Newcastle flyer headboard you made if that's ok by you since my headboard takes mostly from the same design. With the whistle I have made them using audacity but they wont fade, even when I'm on the other side of my route which is almost 30 km away it sounds like I'm next to the locomotive.

M60
September 5th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I'm running TS12, build 61388

You can do what ever you like on your own PC - as to the sound which trainz version as you have 2 listed - and it is known sound bug - turning the 3D sound option off on your sound card and in trainz may help in ts10 - no cure for it in ts12

Poor trainz sound is often due to the on Motherboard sound chips are not of a high quality and also there is a lot of digital hash from the MB involved as well.

I get decent sound from a USB sound card and a decent pair of $100 speakers - the best sound I get from trainz is using a Roland Rap 10 sound card but one of those is going to set you back at least $500 if you can find someone who will part with it as they are like rocking horse poo and a pair of Yamaha HS5 speakers - but it gives me a 47 class horn that will give you a brown trouser moment.

M60
September 6th, 2014, 06:21 AM
I have made the headboard but it sits to low and to far back by a fraction, Is there anyway i can raise and move it so it will sit just right

NSWGR_46Class
September 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM
if its a re skin no
I have made the headboard but it sits to low and to far back by a fraction, Is there anyway i can raise and move it so it will sit just right

M60
September 6th, 2014, 09:47 PM
so if i was to make it from scratch then i could adjust how it would sit on the locomotive ?

M60
September 6th, 2014, 10:31 PM
if i was to send you my headboard could you add it to one of your or davido's 38's I'v tried but its a bit to advanced for me

NSWGR_46Class
September 6th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Would not be able to do it with DavidO's 38, as to Peters I know how much work goes into to doing something like that and getting it work in TS12 and frankly I am to lazy.
if i was to send you my headboard could you add it to one of your or davido's 38's I'v tried but its a bit to advanced for me

M60
September 6th, 2014, 11:03 PM
ok well if you know anyone who can attach a headboard to a locomotive via the CCP send them my way please

Would not be able to do it with DavidO's 38, as to Peters I know how much work goes into to doing something like that and getting it work in TS12 and frankly I am to lazy.