PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Computer

JackieG
August 27th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hello all,

In the recent months I have been looking at building a new computer. I'm not very good at the hardware side of computers and was wonder what your

computer specs are. So I was wondering if you could post a picture with the frame rates in it and your specs so I can make a good decision.

Thanks,

JackieG

*Mods if this is in the wrong section please move it*

Enzo1
August 27th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I would recommend NVIDIA Graphics, most likely for TANE, I'd say for a good price, GTX 780. I would also recommend Intel processors. AMD's are crap. Intel I5 or I7 (I would personally go with any guy in the I7 family, but I'm stuck with an I5, but its awesome) are good. I would go anywhere from 8-12 GB of RAM. That should be able to run TANE 64 bit pretty easily. I would also say if you could get Win 7 64 bit, I'd get it and not even give an eye to Windows 8.

LNERlover5
August 27th, 2014, 06:08 PM
See my signature, this build is very budget friendly and provides excellent performance in pretty much any game. AMD are not crap, far from it, as they provide options at price points that may make much more sense to people on a budget, such as their FX-8320 processor which can be had for roughly 100 or your regional equivalent.

pware
August 27th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I would agree with every point that Chris has made except the last one (but I don't know about Intel vs AMD). I just recently bought an ultrabook laptop with an i7 Haswell processor, a touch screen, 8G of memory and Win 8.1 (64 bit) specifically to run TANE "on the move" - plus other uses of course. My next purchase will be a 64 bit Win 8.1 desktop to replace my current (and aging) 32 bit Win 7 desktop. Opinions on Win 7 vs Win 8 vary, just as opinions on XP vs Win 7 varied, but I fall firmly in the Win 8 camp.

JackieG
August 27th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the tips LNER! I was wonder also what type of case you have, also cooling? I'm working with a pretty tight budget, but i want maximum power and capability. As

Jeremy Clarkson would say, "Yes Power SPEED!"

LNERlover5
August 28th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the tips LNER! I was wonder also what type of case you have, also cooling? I'm working with a pretty tight budget, but i want maximum power and capability. As

Jeremy Clarkson would say, "Yes Power SPEED!"

Personally I'm using an Enermax Ostrog for the case since it is fairly cheap and provides several cooling options as well as a look that I'm fond of. Aesthetics are a personal choice mind you, so take your time when choosing. For CPU cooling I'm using a Gelid GX7 tower heatsink since this again isn't too expensive, looks great and keeps my FX-6300 cool even when overclocked to 4.3GHz. However there are numerous options such as 120mm all in one watercooling options for around the same price as well. For fans I've opted to replace the fan that comes with the Gelid GX7 with a Silverstone AP123 as it is designed for increased static pressure, which is a key factor to consider if a fan is to be placed against a restrictive surface such as a heatsink. For the case I've chosen Bitfenix Spectre fans for their cost and simple looks, plus the fact that they can be undervolted gracefully and are quiet as a result.

As price to performance goes, you can't go wrong with a build based on the Radeon R9 270X and the FX-6300. It isn't the fastest, far from it, but it won't cost an arm and a leg.

constar261
August 28th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Running Corsair 750CX Power supply, AMD FX 8350 CPU, Asrock 990 Extreme9 Motherboard, 2 Ripjaw 4GB Ram sticks at 1600, Thermaltake Chaser A71 Full tower air cooled, 750GB HD, 1TB HD, 3TB WD external HD, MSI Geforce Nividia 4GB GTX 760 graphics card, and I have a GIGABYTE Model GC-WB867D-I Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Card inside my tower

JackieG
August 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Ok, after looking at cases I have picked this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353039 Will this work with your conponents LNER?

davesnow
August 28th, 2014, 02:05 PM
You can't go wrong with a Falcon Northwest system.

stouthm
August 28th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Jackie G are you in luck. Right around the corner from where you live there is a company that builds computers. They have built the last three for me and I have had no problems with them. There was nothing wrong with the computers except they became out of date and I wanted to update my system just for TRS12. Check out their web site @ www.jncs.com (http://www.jncs.com). You pick out what you want and they build it for you. Good luck.