PDA

View Full Version : Cant install GMax

joshmeister
June 28th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I downloaded gmax and for some reason it wont install, maybe I just dont know what Im doing or Im stupid but I keep getting this error.

C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Temp\PROPSYS.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error

I Need a program that I can use to add goggle earth images onto a route Im working on and I have no clue what Im doing wrong. Again maybe Im just stupid or something?:(

gary6204
June 28th, 2014, 11:19 PM
What operating system are you trying to put it on? You have to remember that Gmax is designed for Windows XP maybe even Windows 2000 and probably will not work right on newer OS's (like Windows 7 & 8)

davesnow
June 28th, 2014, 11:40 PM
What operating system are you trying to put it on? You have to remember that Gmax is designed for Windows XP maybe even Windows 2000 and probably will not work right on newer OS's (like Windows 7 & 8)

It works wonderful for me on Windows 7!

joshmeister
June 28th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Im running windows 7 64 bit. Not sure what I can do to get it to work.

JCitron
June 28th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Im running windows 7 64 bit. Not sure what I can do to get it to work.

Did you try installing as administrator the second time? That usually works for programs that have issues installing.

John

9000DOLLAR
June 29th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Do you have a copy of UTC? UTC had the install files for GMAX hidden on the install disk, it, unfortunatly, didn't have the game pack required for creating .IM files.

Also, if you havn't used GMAX before, WATCH OUT, it's really hard to learn. That's why I quit trying to use it. I decided to try brushing up on driving trainz instead.

Sketch Up is easier to learn, but it requires a plug in and I don't trust Google.

joshmeister
June 29th, 2014, 12:19 AM
I just have the disk that has Trainz 09 and 10 on it. All Im trying to do is take images from Google Earth and place them on map tiles in game to help with laying track and placing buildings.

davesnow
June 29th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Also, if you havn't used GMAX before, WATCH OUT, it's really hard to learn.

Oh Baloney! It's very easy to learn! A LOT easier than MindBlender.

IMHO of course.

And 9000DOLLAR, if you don't watch it you're gonna get in trouble on these forums. Please (I said please) stop starting meaningless threads and answering questions if you don't know the correct answer.

Cheers,

Dave Snow

trainman7616
June 29th, 2014, 01:46 AM
Gmax is fairly easy to learn. Blender isnt hard, just has a slightly harder and different learning curve. Sketchup is not a worthy program because it can bring trainz to its knees if you dont know what you are doing.

joshmeister
June 29th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Well, until I can figure out why Gmax wont install Im alittle stuck for the moment as far as that goes, I mean, I can still free hand track and things like that but it does make working on this OR&L route that much harder in some places :P

pcas1986
June 29th, 2014, 03:38 AM
GMax installs into and runs in Win 8.1. I suggest you try installing GMax into its own folder such as C:\GMax or preferably on another drive.

But, looking at the reason you want GMax, you are probably better off looking into TransDem. See this post (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?108393-TransDEM-2-5-now-available&p=1241158#post1241158).

PEV
June 29th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I have Gmax with TACS working on Win 7 64bit. I used the default install locations and have not had any problems. I did set TACS and GMAX to run as admin.
I have set myself as sole user and admin on my PC.

johnwhelan
June 29th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Well, until I can figure out why Gmax wont install Im alittle stuck for the moment as far as that goes, I mean, I can still free hand track and things like that but it does make working on this OR&L route that much harder in some places :P

You should be able to use Blender to do what you're trying to do. The advantage to you is there are a number of tutorials that will help you through the basics including installation. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Blender#Newcomers_start_here for example.

If you're starting from scratch then I suggest Blender, if you have lots of experience in GMAX carry on using GMAX.

Cheerio John