PDA

View Full Version : Where am I?

phimat
June 17th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Just noticed that I now reside in Iran. Unusually fine weather here suggests that this might be so, but I can't see any minarets. Pity though, I could have caught up on my Zoroastrian studies...

Can the person at 'everfail who made this change please revert it. And can someone tell him to catch on to himself.

nicky9499
June 17th, 2014, 05:18 AM
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/profile.php?do=editprofile

deneban
June 17th, 2014, 06:33 PM
So your profile moved very quickly and you are now exclaiming "I ran" ?

Sourdough
June 17th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Can the person at 'everfail who made this change please revert it....

Why don't you just revert it yourself?.....You're smart enough to know for sure who changed it so you should be able to figure out how to change it back....nicky9499 even gave you a hint....

deneban
June 18th, 2014, 06:19 AM
He's smart enough, I think his post was made to show dismay to the community that this could even happen. A ticket may answer the question.

phimat
June 19th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Good idea who did it and why - petty spite. Dismayed more by the fact that this could happen - indicating the poor discipline in 'everfail management - than that it did happen (actually some schadenfreude here, to be honest).

btw (wct?) = (who changed this?). This will remain until reverted by the culprit.

cascaderailroad
June 19th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Where were you from originally ?

Whoever changed it may not be able to remember what location to enter into your profile (which you can do yourself, and nobody else should be able to do it for you).

rickf77
June 19th, 2014, 07:13 AM
I know this sort of thing can happen. I think within a couple of months after joining, somehow I went from train spotter (whatever the default is) to trainz veteran. I thought someone gave me a promotion!

Cheers....Rick

deneban
June 19th, 2014, 08:15 AM
comment deleted

oknotsen
June 19th, 2014, 10:07 AM
So you were drunk one night and thought it was funny to change your location and now you cant remember.
Or you left your PC on and your brother/sister/friend/husband/wife considered it funny to change your location.

And now you are blaming N3V? Because you think they really do not have anything better to do?

Is it really so much more likely that someone from N3V did it than any of the other above scenario's?

ZecMurphy
June 19th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Good Morning Phimat
I have checked into this, and none of our team have changed the location setting in your forum profile, nor would we do so or have any reason to do so. Either you have accidentally changed this whilst updating other information, or someone else has accessed your account and changed the location in your profile.

I would recommend that you change your password just in case someone has accessed your account without your permission.

You can change the location in your profile back to your desired location by clicking on 'settings' on the top toolbar, and then click on 'Edit Profile' on the left hand list. You can then enter your desired location into the 'location' box, then click on 'save changes'.

Regards

phimat
June 20th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Good Morning Phimat
I have checked into this, and none of our team have changed the location setting in your forum profile, nor would we do so or have any reason to do so. Either you have accidentally changed this whilst updating other information, or someone else has accessed your account and changed the location in your profile.

I would recommend that you change your password just in case someone has accessed your account without your permission.

You can change the location in your profile back to your desired location by clicking on 'settings' on the top toolbar, and then click on 'Edit Profile' on the left hand list. You can then enter your desired location into the 'location' box, then click on 'save changes'.

Regards

How casual you are about this. I still claim that the change was made from within 'everfail itself and that it was malicious. That someone within 'everfail could do this says alot about security within the company. Can any member of the staff access all our personal information on a whim?

Once again, I ask that the person who changed the location revert it. I don't intend doing it.

amigacooke
June 20th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Seeing as none of the rest of us have any method of deciding who is telling the truth here, wouldn't this be best sorted out in private?

cascaderailroad
June 20th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Well ... Then if you don't change it back yourself ... You will probably remain forever in Iran(wct?) ... along with Cat Stevens :hehe:

deneban
June 20th, 2014, 05:44 PM
He ran to I ran.

rjhowie
June 20th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I think ZecMurphy gave a reasonable answer and certainly isn't some laid back reply. The matter can be obviously sorted without a serious protraction of a routine matter.

Sourdough
June 20th, 2014, 08:49 PM
... I still claim that the change was made from within 'everfail itself and that it was malicious.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you....:cool:

Tony_Hilliam
June 20th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Can any member of the staff access all our personal information on a whim?

No. Some of the support staff and admin staff have admin rights to view profiles, but in checking the admin controls, it is actually impossible for us to change a user's Location.

Furthermore, I can't figure out how anyone can actually get the location "Iran(wct)" at all. Your user profile says Country = Iran and the country field is not editable (you can only choose from a dropdown list). You could manually add a State as (wct) but that would then show as Iran,(wct) with a comma automatically inserted. So to have Iran(wct) without a comma is puzzling and seemingly impossible. Even adding the State as Iran(wct) would show as ,Iran(wct). And what on earth is (wct) anyway?).

Since something very strange is happening with your account for this to happen, I will check how this is possible with our web team on Monday.

Please be assured that while you love to hate us, we try our best to look after our customers (since to not do so makes no commercial sense at all).

phimat
June 23rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
No. Some of the support staff and admin staff have admin rights to view profiles, but in checking the admin controls, it is actually impossible for us to change a user's Location.

Furthermore, I can't figure out how anyone can actually get the location "Iran(wct)" at all. Your user profile says Country = Iran and the country field is not editable (you can only choose from a dropdown list). You could manually add a State as (wct) but that would then show as Iran,(wct) with a comma automatically inserted. So to have Iran(wct) without a comma is puzzling and seemingly impossible. Even adding the State as Iran(wct) would show as ,Iran(wct). And what on earth is (wct) anyway?).

Since something very strange is happening with your account for this to happen, I will check how this is possible with our web team on Monday.

Please be assured that while you love to hate us, we try our best to look after our customers (since to not do so makes no commercial sense at all).

Actually, that location field is editable. Someone changed my original location to "Iran", and I added "(wct?)" (= "who changed this?" - as explained previously) in order to draw attention to the change. I assume the choice of location was deliberate and malicious, given its political and security sensitivity.

It's not likely that anyone would take the trouble to steal my password (not easily cracked by an amateur) simply to change location. I can only conclude that someone at 'everfail did it. I'm not too concerned about why this was done, just that 1) the change is reverted and 2) it should not be allowed happen again - more generally, that access to members' private information be better controlled.

nicky9499
June 23rd, 2014, 05:46 AM
No need to check with the web team Tony. Under Edit Profile (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/profile.php?do=editprofile), the location field is actually a text box instead of a drop-down list. Which is probably why some members can enter funny stuff like "Bottom Of The World", "Why Do You Care?", or their full address and telephone number if we're talking about the not-so-bright ones.

Phimat, whatever happened may be an error, glitch or accident but I'm pretty sure it isn't intentional or malicious. You can continue insisting it is and leave your location at WCT in which case you're even safer since nobody knows where you live now. No need to get up in arms over something so trivial.

deneban
June 23rd, 2014, 05:13 PM
Perhaps he is holding out for a book deal?

http://media.giphy.com/media/HQFZyZ5ogVBa8/giphy.gifhttp://giphy.com/gifs/HQFZyZ5ogVBa8

cascaderailroad
June 23rd, 2014, 11:27 PM
Untill you change it back ... I will be on summer vacation in the tiny country of: Duchy of Grand Fenwick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMuJDajujc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMuJDajujc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZFEvbhZMY

Its is near: Ubetcha'Stan

phimat
June 27th, 2014, 05:32 AM

And?......

deneban
June 27th, 2014, 06:02 AM
And?......

and its not Monday yet.

Tony_Hilliam
June 27th, 2014, 07:29 AM
And?......
And... Since you identified that the field was editable there wasn't anything left to check. I had thought only the drop down list options were possible which was what I was going to check.

Since there is no reason, motivation, inclination nor inspiration for any of our staff to make such a change I can only assume that the change was a strange aberration that doesn't appear to be widespread and [hopefully] unlikely to be repeated.

Meanwhile, I assume n3v will remain deemed guilty until proven innocent

deneban
June 28th, 2014, 08:58 AM
And... Since you identified that the field was editable there wasn't anything left to check. I had thought only the drop down list options were possible which was what I was going to check.

It was established very early on that Phimat inserted ",wct" (post #6), so that does not add to the inquiry:

btw (wct?) = (who changed this?). This will remain until reverted by the culprit.

Subsequently, post #18 did say the web staff would be consulted for possibilities, so the thread is owed that much

phimat
July 1st, 2014, 05:53 AM

Since there is no reason, motivation, inclination nor inspiration for any of our staff to make such a change I can only assume that the change was a strange aberration that doesn't appear to be widespread and [hopefully] unlikely to be repeated.

Meanwhile, I assume n3v will remain deemed guilty until proven innocent

A strange aberration that chose a politically sensitive location for me?

I don't expect anyone at 'everfail to own up to what was a pretty stupid impulse. If you had done it, would you? Of course not, you couldn't let yourself down like that. Those who might have the integrity to own up would probably also have the good sense not to do it in the first place.

Your next line of reasoning should be to ask: was there motivation? Then you check recent posts where I was involved and see if any member of the 'everfail staff was - at least - embarrassed there. Then you can ask yourself if that person was likely to do something so silly on blind impulse. That person would most likely be impressionable - even gullible - somewhat detached from the real world of real consequences. Such a person would not find it difficult to pretend to himself that he didn't do such a silly thing.

Then, of course, seeing that no one at 'everfail is going to admit to it (or even indicate who most likely did it), it falls to 'everfail as a body to accept responsibility for correcting the prank on two grounds: 1) that 'everfail is ultimately responsible for the actions of its staff within the workplace and 2) that 'everfail is responsible for the lax security surrounding access to the members' private information that allowed this prank to occur.

No need to thank me for reasoning this out for you: just get on with it. This nonsense has gone on long enough.

deneban
July 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
@Phimat - Although I believe you are at least owed the feedback from the "web team" inquiry as promised, it is likely your overall request would have been handled more thoroughly and quickly if the N3V team was not referred to with the negative nickname assigned from the OP onward. I empathize your case but cannot condone the name calling.

cascaderailroad
July 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Who else lives in your household ... I think they did it :hehe:

I am continuing my summer vacation in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, until you change it back, yourself ... I doubt anyone will ever own up to the shenanigans, so you might as well remain in Iran ... or change back it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMuJDajujc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZFEvbhZMY

judahGrice
July 2nd, 2014, 03:43 PM
... Which is probably why some members can enter funny stuff like "Bottom Of The World", "Why Do You Care?"...
I "Live" in liechtenstein (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=liechtenstein&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)....

deneban
July 2nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
Who else lives in your household ... I think they did it :hehe:

How about that Phimat - does your browser autocomplete the password entry into forums.auran? Does anyone know your password? Can it be readily guessed by someone who knows you? Could you have left the pute unattended while logged in?

If it was done on his pute, it is a harmless enough change that someone local to him may own up at some point.

cascaderailroad
July 2nd, 2014, 06:37 PM
In the Service, someone "cut the chez", in formation ... The Sgt shouted: "OK ... Who did that" ... "No one ?" "OK last chance ... Who did it ?" ... One guy stepped forward: "I did it", then 2 more stepped forward: "No we did it" ... Soon everyone stepped forward: "We all did it" ... "OK, all you 105 Privates ... drop and give me 100 push ups" !

CaptEngland
July 3rd, 2014, 01:42 PM
What a strange thread. I'm going to go back to the dark side of the moon. :eek:

Regards.
CaptEngland.

Cratey
July 4th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Hi phimat,

We've recently been sending out emails asking people to update their details to ensure our records are correct. A link in the email sends you to a form where you can confirm your account details. The form is pre-filled with country based on geolocation of your IP address.

The code that calculates the geolocation wasn’t working properly! It had incorrect data ISO country codes and was getting confused when similarities popped up. For example "IR" = Ireland" and "Iran", “Austria” became “Australia”. About 1% or less of respondents seems to have been effected by this bug. And without you bringing it up, we wouldn't have noticed, so thanks for that!

We’re sorry for any inconvenience of confusion caused, but there was no malicious intent intended. If you're experiencing any other problems, please just PM me here on the forums and we'll look into those for you.

amigacooke
July 4th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Well N3V have apologised, I wonder if there will be an apology for apparently false accusations of misconduct based on circumstantial evidence?

oknotsen
July 4th, 2014, 05:39 AM
I also wonder if he would be able to actually spell the name of the company correct for a change :hehe:.

.... And I also wonder what the weather is like in Iran :hehe:.

deneban
July 4th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Thats great that we have an explanation that absolves both parties and brings this issue to closure.

Sourdough
July 4th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Thats great that we have an explanation that absolves both parties and brings this issue to closure.

You know better than that.....:cool:

haddock57
July 4th, 2014, 09:36 PM
The code that calculates the geolocation wasn’t working properly! It had incorrect data ISO country codes and was getting confused when similarities popped up. For example "IR" = Ireland" and "Iran", “Austria” became “Australia”. About 1% or less of respondents seems to have been effected by this bug. And without you bringing it up, we wouldn't have noticed, so thanks for that!
Well now that is something new. Isn't it a bit funny how technology is supposed to make things easier, yet it continually keeps us on our toes?

deneban
July 5th, 2014, 01:41 PM
The code that calculates the geolocation wasn’t working properly! It had incorrect data ISO country codes and was getting confused when similarities popped up. For example "IR" = Ireland" and "Iran", “Austria” became “Australia”.

That's enough to IRe us. :cool:

phimat
July 7th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Hi phimat,

We've recently been sending out emails asking people to update their details to ensure our records are correct. A link in the email sends you to a form where you can confirm your account details. The form is pre-filled with country based on geolocation of your IP address.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience of confusion caused, but there was no malicious intent intended. If you're experiencing any other problems, please just PM me here on the forums and we'll look into those for you.

What a remarkably circuitous explanation! I assume you are referring to the emails that involved the US tracking setup? (Incidentally, a pretty nasty stunt, yes?) That was last April, so the error should have shown up back then.

A lot of time and energy no doubt has gone into dreaming up this excuse. Would be a lot more sensible to simply accept responsibility one way or the other and revert the location entry.

You know the saying about what to do if you find yourself in a hole...

nicky9499
July 7th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Will somebody hack this dude's account and change it back so that we can put this lame issue to sleep once and for all.

deneban
July 7th, 2014, 08:19 AM
What a remarkably circuitous explanation! I assume you are referring to the emails that involved the US tracking setup? (Incidentally, a pretty nasty stunt, yes?) That was last April, so the error should have shown up back then.

A lot of time and energy no doubt has gone into dreaming up this excuse. Would be a lot more sensible to simply accept responsibility one way or the other and revert the location entry.

You know the saying about what to do if you find yourself in a hole...

Their explanation appears to be more reasonable than yours of "petty spite" in post #6. If that was really the case, that you have an idea who did it (per that post), the appropriate avenue would have been to identify the individual in a letter sent by you to them rather than this complaint in a public forum. Complaining in this manner reduces the credibility of your claim.

You did not report when you last knew the location to be as you set it, so you have not completed your attempt to rule out their explanation after the April mailing, which places this complaint in a whimsical rather than the factual light.

CaptEngland
July 7th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Sorry phimat, but you now deserve a http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/) for still wanting someone's blood for a simple mistake. :'(

Regards.
CaptEngland.

ZecMurphy
July 7th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Hi All
The cause of the location change was located, as outlined in Cratey's post. This thread need not go any further.

Regards