PDA

View Full Version : Using TS12 on XP post-support

alexl102
June 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I'm well aware that Microsoft support for Win XP has ended and so I really should upgrade my PC (which can hardly handle trainz anyway) but I've simply not got the cash right now. Anyway, I've just tried to run Trainz for the first time since support ended, and following a database whateveritis that happens every now and again, when I click start I get an error message saying

'Unable to open a 3D graphics window.
Please ensure that you have:
- Installed all Windows updates.
- Tried both OpenGL and DirectX settings
- Selected an appropriate resolution in the Trainz Launcher settings.

If the above does not work, please consult your manual or visit technical support at [auran website]'

Any suggestions?

Zeldaboy14
June 16th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Let me guess, Integrated Graphics? I have XP as well, so I'm no dummy at it. If your PC is from 2002, it will have integrated graphics, but if your computer is from 2004/5, then it should maybe have a Nivida graphic card. 2002 one's = low ram. 2004/5 = more ram then the 2002 release.

alexl102
June 16th, 2014, 12:11 PM
It always worked fine before. I'm not sure of the exact date of this pc; I'll try and find out. I'd imagine it's later than 2002 though.

I fiddled with some settings and it worked but things didn't look right - particularly text. Plus, every time I go back into the settings menu it's switched back to the default settings for some reason.

alexl102
June 16th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I've messed about a bit more - it's working ok up to the menu! Will report back once I've had chance to do further testing.

Zeldaboy14
June 16th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Did you run the game as Admin? You need to run it as admin on XP, because it won't save what you changed if it's not running as admin.

alexl102
June 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
That explains a lot. I was running on a user profile as I tend to avoid logging onto admin if I'm doing anything on the internet for security reasons!

Lendorf
June 16th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I am running TS12 61388 on WinXP SP3 and it works perfect. Just because M$ is not supporting WinXP anymore, does not mean it will stop operating. Perhaps you have to install the latest/last WinXP graphic driver that applies to your graphic card or internal graphic chip. These XP graphic drivers can be found on AMD/NVidia web sides under "older drivers". Plus fiddle with Trainz's settings too.

Lennard

johnwhelan
June 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
That explains a lot. I was running on a user profile as I tend to avoid logging onto admin if I'm doing anything on the internet for security reasons!

If you install it to something like \n3v\ts12 you don't need admin. You only need admin if it installs to the default location of program files. Just because MS has stopped support doesn't mean it will stop working but I suggest you stop using Internet Explorer and use something like Chrome or firefox with noscript for security reasons.

Cheerio John

NSWGR_46Class
June 16th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Let me guess, Integrated Graphics? I have XP as well, so I'm no dummy at it. If your PC is from 2002, it will have integrated graphics, but if your computer is from 2004/5, then it should maybe have a Nivida graphic card. 2002 one's = low ram. 2004/5 = more ram then the 2002 release.

This is so wrong

Intergrated Graphics is when the video procressor chips are on the motherboard and also share the same system RAM with the main processor. Like on most low price PC's or laptops.

Dedicated Graphics in a desk top is when its has an addin or plug in graphics / video card - Some high end laptops also have this. And has its own graphics memory not shared with the main processor - hence the name.

The age of the PC has nothing to with the type of the video card it has or the maker of the chipset it uses. In fact all early PC only had decicated garphics cards, intergrathed graphics is newer thing. Think I have owned PC's longer than you have been on this earth .

All the 8080 and 8086 processser systems I owned only ever came with add on Video cards.

Please once again I beg you to do a bit of research before you give advise.

LNERlover5
June 16th, 2014, 07:09 PM
This is so wrong

Intergrated Graphics is when the video procressor chips are on the motherboard and also share the same system RAM with the main processor. Like on most low price PC's or laptops.

Dedicated Graphics in a desk top is when its has an addin or plug in graphics / video card - Some high end laptops also have this. And has its own graphics memory not shared with the main processor - hence the name.

The age of the PC has nothing to with the type of the video card it has or the maker of the chipset it uses. In fact all early PC only had decicated garphics cards, intergrathed graphics is newer thing. Think I have owned PC's longer than you have been on this earth .

All the 8080 and 8086 processser systems I owned only ever came with add on Video cards.

Please once again I beg you to do a bit of research before you give advise.

Yeah, the original statement left me somewhat head in hands. This is quite a nice explanation for those who want to know.

BuilderBob
June 16th, 2014, 07:54 PM
'Unable to open a 3D graphics window.'

Any suggestions?

I have fixed this in the past by opening Trainz.EXE directly from a shortcut rather than through the Launcher. No promises, because I suspect this error has a large number of possible causes.

shaneturner12
June 17th, 2014, 02:09 AM
There are 4 reasons I'm aware of that can cause the error in the first post:

1. DirectX is not installed/up to date.
2. The graphics card drivers are not up to date enough or it's using the Microsoft ones.
3. The graphics card is not suitable for Trainz - could be due to it's age or lack of OpenGL support.
4. The settings under Options are incorrect for your system. The most common incorrect settings are resolution and Disable Hardware TL.

Shane