PDA

View Full Version : Changing "renamable" signs.

jeff1959
June 12th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I have downloaded a couple of industry and station signs that are listed as "renamable." However, I can't find a line in the config file or anything that allows me to change the sign.

For example, from TPR Depot "sign wood long" Kuid: 347185:1109 and "sign wood short" kuid:347185:1110

I am trying to make station signs for the three main communities on my fictional route. Any assistance would be appreciated.

oknotsen
June 12th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Usually just naming the asset (in surveyor) will make a name show up. Did you try that?

johnwhelan
June 12th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Signs are fairly easy to reskin, http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Basic_Reskinning_for_beginners the wiki book has a couple of other software programs such as paint.net tutorials as well I think. I did one in .bmp which is even easier to reskin, you don't need to worry about the compression in .TGA files.

Cheerio John

Racn
June 12th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Perhaps I dont understand but for a renameable sign, I just place it then edit the properties, name it whatever, even swears, lol.

cascaderailroad
June 12th, 2014, 07:11 PM
If in surveyor by clicking the "?" KB key and renaming the sign, does not work .... sometimes there is a changeable Name line in the config file:
}
mesh-table {
default {
mesh "Part_1.im"
auto-create 1
effects {
0 {
kind "name"
fontsize 0.15
fontcolor 0,0,0
att "a.name0"
name "C O L E S"
}
}
}
}

clam1952
June 12th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Of course changing it in the config or as I suspect in this case editing the image used for the name texture which I have seen in supposed re-namable items, isn't a lot of use if you intend uploading the route.

johnwhelan
June 12th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Looking at the signs in question they use a couple of texture files so fairly inefficient. Give me the size of signs you'd like and I'll knock something up for you. I assume you want two posts and a top and bottom rail. Do you have definite names you want on them? Email me jwhelan0112 gmail.com

Thanks

Cheerio John

jeff1959
June 12th, 2014, 08:36 PM
First, I am NOT planning to release the route for others to use. It's simply for my own purpose. The signs in question don't have a jpg or bmp file to actually change. I've given up on them. I've asked John for his assistance.

I appreciate all the replies and assistance.