PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Track

stouthm
June 10th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I just saw some track by bnsf50 intended for use in tunnels that had guard rails which got me thinking. Do tracks in tunnels use/need ballast? I use the concrete tunnels and have been using rails only in the tunnels. I run locos that are in use today so the tunnels are more modern than older tunnels. Thanks.

cascaderailroad
June 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM
http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS.php MP-Tunneltrack dark , by josefpav <KUID:46162:38013>

I lay the track independent, slightly higher (+0.02m) than the built in track in the tunnel

Guard rails are not generally used in tunnels, and track is ballast, I prefer wooden ties, but this track goes well with concrete track

bnsf50
June 11th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I just saw some track by bnsf50 intended for use in tunnels that had guard rails which got me thinking. Do tracks in tunnels use/need ballast? I use the concrete tunnels and have been using rails only in the tunnels. I run locos that are in use today so the tunnels are more modern than older tunnels. Thanks.

That track was actually made for the Shaughnessy bridge that I made for Caydens Canadian route. Bridges usually do have guard rails on them. Tunnels usually do not since a derailment in a tunnel would not cause the train to plunge over the side.

JCitron
June 11th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Tracks are generally ballasted inside a tunnel as well because they ballast is what helps with the drainage cushioning of the tracks.

stouthm
June 11th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone for replying. I guess from now on my tunnel tracks will ballasted. I might even change some of my tunnels now. Always something to do.