PDA

View Full Version : Problem Identification Guide no1 - Problem Commodities (potentially large images)

shaneturner12
April 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Moderators - if the images are too large, please let me know, as they can be adjusted if needed

Hi Trainzers,

This is the first guide in what I hope to be many in how to identify specific problem assets. Today's topic, as stated in the title, is problem commodities.

The assets in question are the ones that cause any list that displays products in-game to appear blank, usually with a red dot or red bug icon at the bottom right of the screen.

I will cover the three methods of identifying such assets. The solution in each case will be covered as well.

Important - screenshots are from TS12 SP1 (Content Manager 3.7). For users of lower versions, replace Installed=True with Location=Local. They are also in thumbnail form - clicking them will make them larger.

In all cases, this will involve the search pane. This can be found in the following location in Content Manager:

Setting up the commodity filter

In all cases, you will need to be searching for commodities. To do this:

1. In the search pane, click the + icon to add a search term.
2. You will then get a pair of boxes with the first one labelled 'Name'. Click the down arrow next to the box labelled 'Name' to change it to 'Category'. You should have something similar to the below image.
3. Click the down arrow next to 'Routes' and change it to 'Commodity'. The image below will show you what it should look like:
4. Click the + icon again, changing the new 'Name' entry to 'Installed' (Location in TS12 pre-SP1 and earlier versions).

You can now proceed on each of the methods.

Method 1 - Faulty Commodities

To identify a faulty commodity, follow the following steps:
1. If you have just done either Method 2 or 3, click the Clear button then re-do the Setting up the Commodity Filter section.
2. In the search pane, click the + icon to add a search term.
3. Change the new entry from 'Name' to 'Faulty' and leave the second box at 'True'. The image below will show you what the search should now look like:

If you get any results with this search - you will need to either delete the problem assets or fix the faults in order to use the assets. Right-click and use View Errors (and Warnings) to find out what errors are affecting the asset(s).

Method 2 - Commodities with Missing Dependencies

To identify commodities with missing dependencies, follow the following steps:
1. If you have just done either Method 1 or 3, click the Clear button then re-do the Setting up the Commodity Filter section.
3. Change the new entry from 'Name' to 'Missing Dependencies' and leave the second box at 'True'. The image below will show you what the search should now look like:

If you get any results - right-click the asset and click View Dependencies to find out what the dependencies are. If they are on the Download Station, click View in Main List then right-click said dependency and click Download. If it's a KUID that is listed, you will need to manually search for the asset, or you can delete the offending commodity.

Method 3 - Specific Problem Commodities
To identify specific commodities, follow the following steps:
1. If you have just done either Method 1 or 3, click the Clear button then re-do the Setting up the Commodity Filter section.
3. In the name next to 'Name' enter the name of the commodity (see http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?99356-Listing-of-known-problematic-commodities-(TRS2006-)&highlight=problematic+commodities for my list)

If you do not get any results, simply repeat with the next one.

If you get any results - delete the offending assets (if there is an update for them though, install the update before deleting the original), then repeat with the next on the list.

Comments/Questions?
Comments/questions on this are appreciated. If you are wondering why the images are small though, this is due to the way the new image upload system works.

Shane

DaveL
April 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Hi Shane,

Sorry to be a bother, but your images are much TOO SMALL to read on my screen (22") hi-res.

Yes, I clicked on them.......

Dave

shaneturner12
April 15th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I've noticed that myself. It's a fault with N3V's new upload system. The original images are 1366x768.

I will see if I can upload the relevant images onto my tutorial site and reference them that way.

Shane