PDA

View Full Version : This is a question/comment about Missing Content frustration.....

dwgibson
January 8th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I have been a TRAINZ follower from the first SP3 version. I have posted (although not very often) on this forum...... I'm sure that I'll get flamed by someone or a group of you for this entry....... I realize that probably most individuals that use this program are not programmers and neither am I, but I have taken several programming classes.

The point I'd like to bring up is that fact that individuals seem to not be able to upload content w/o missing KUID files and or missing items in their content. I have over 4Gb of files that I have had to edit the config file to either delete the missing content or the content that is missing items within the content. I have spent many hours fixing that which was uploaded broken.

I have been away from here for about a year because of my frustration on not being able to obtain a clean download of most items on the DL station. TRAINZ is an excellent product but if there was anyway individuals could test their uploads before it's placed on the DL Station or is that not possible?

Just asking and waiting for the flames to begin...........

shaneturner12
January 8th, 2014, 12:10 PM
To be fair to those uploaders, some content that they require is either payware or are on third-party sites.

Shane

clam1952
January 8th, 2014, 12:55 PM
No flame, many complain about this.
The secret of success in not uploading stuff with missing dependencies, for content creators is to firstly use an install that only includes Builtins and DLS items, nothing from third party sites. That would mostly solve the problem. If for some reason they must use a dependency from somewhere else it should ideally say what it is and where to get it in the assets description.

johnwhelan
January 8th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I have been a TRAINZ follower from the first SP3 version. I have posted (although not very often) on this forum...... I'm sure that I'll get flamed by someone or a group of you for this entry....... I realize that probably most individuals that use this program are not programmers and neither am I, but I have taken several programming classes.

The point I'd like to bring up is that fact that individuals seem to not be able to upload content w/o missing KUID files and or missing items in their content. I have over 4Gb of files that I have had to edit the config file to either delete the missing content or the content that is missing items within the content. I have spent many hours fixing that which was uploaded broken.

I have been away from here for about a year because of my frustration on not being able to obtain a clean download of most items on the DL station. TRAINZ is an excellent product but if there was anyway individuals could test their uploads before it's placed on the DL Station or is that not possible?

Just asking and waiting for the flames to begin...........

It depends on what the content creator has installed. I don't think there is a setting in Trainz that would disable everything not on the DLS so that means you are asking content creators to have multiple installations of Trainz on their machine. Another problem is I develop in TS12 so what is available to my machine is different to what is available to you with TS2010.

Creating content is hard enough without adding additional work to the content creators. The DLS clean up is probably helping, but there is some content that will never be made available on the DLS because of the N3V licensing requirements that seem to have evolved over the years. Some where there is a thread which I thought was a sticky that lists only routes where all the content is on the DLS, this might be of interest to you.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?9437-***-All-assets-in-this-layout-are-on-the-DLS-as-confirmed-by-the-TRS-community-***

Cheerio John

Vern
January 8th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Some content isn't necessarily missing dependencies. It's just that CMP doesn't get them on the first run. In the case of a route, just show all the dependent assets again, scroll down the list adding the ones listed as missing dependencies to Download Helper and they should download again correctly. If that doesn't work you can go to the individual item, show dependencies and add to Download Helper from there and download.

However I have encountered the situation where some items (usually rolling stock) is missing a small but vital component which has proved impossible to track down.

In my purely personal opinion, in the absence of N3V having a policy restricting uploads to the DLS of items that only use DLS assets (or reference from official DLC), authors need to state clearly in the descriptive text what external assets they are using together with a web link to find same.

philskene
January 8th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Malc --

"The secret of success in not uploading stuff with missing dependencies, for content creators is to firstly use an install that only includes Builtins and DLS items, nothing from third party sites. That would mostly solve the problem. If for some reason they must use a dependency from somewhere else it should ideally say what it is and where to get it in the assets description."

I agree. Absolutely.

haddock56
January 8th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Malc --

"The secret of success in not uploading stuff with missing dependencies, for content creators is to firstly use an install that only includes Builtins and DLS items, nothing from third party sites. That would mostly solve the problem. If for some reason they must use a dependency from somewhere else it should ideally say what it is and where to get it in the assets description."

I agree. Absolutely.

I also agree. Many's the time i have tried for hours to track things down, often not remembering the location of everything.