PDA

View Full Version : What software do you use to create 3D models for Trainz?

n3vgames
January 7th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Complete the survey here (http://www.trainzportal.com/product_trainz_3D_tools_survey.php) to tell us what your favourite 3D software package is to model assets for Trainz so that future products of Trainz will help the Trainz community streamline the content creation process.

Please take the survey to help us better understand your 3D modelling needs for Trainz.

It takes less than a minute to complete: Click here to take the Survey (http://www.trainzportal.com/product_trainz_3D_tools_survey.php)

Thank you for your support.
Trainz Team

Lots_Trains
January 7th, 2014, 09:06 PM
How are you gonna differentiate between people who can actually create stuff to people who don't or can't create stuff but decide fill in the survey, you could end up with some skewed results.

Should have been I do create box in there

Cheers

Lots

captainkman
January 7th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I think the last question is rather silly. If someone uses Blender, and would like to continue using Blender, of course they would consider using Blender!

I feel I am unable to complete the survey because of Question 3's conflict with my answer for Question 1 and 2.

Kieran.

H222
January 7th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Can we ignore the sketchup please. Let's not make a game that glorifies programs that makes a super high poly count on a box and horrid textures. Sure, some things look good and aren't too detrimental on performance but they're a rarity rather than the norm.

The last question makes sense if you're not using Blender already Kieran. If someone is using GMax, which is now considered obsolete, (although it does still make a good model) it is a worthwhile question to see if they would move onto Blender, which is much more up to date.

Jamie

captainkman
January 7th, 2014, 09:26 PM
I understand that it makes sense that way, but in my predicament it does not. Maybe an 'Already using Blender' option could be added?

Kieran.

KingConrail76
January 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I think the last question is rather silly. If someone uses Blender, and would like to continue using Blender, of course they would consider using Blender!

I feel I am unable to complete the survey because of Question 3's conflict with my answer for Question 1 and 2.

Kieran.

Then answer "Yes" and move on.

We have enough problems and issues with the Forums and DLS lately, please just read, answer the Survey, and move on...there is no need to turn this in to another pee'ing contest.

martinvk
January 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I agree that having SketchUp in there will just encourage high poly object creation. If someone wants to create objects, taking the easy way might produce the first object quicker but not having learned how to be economical with polys, they will continue to make things detrimental to good Trainz performance.

If you have already indicated a preference for Blender in the first two, no harm in repeating the sentiment in #3. It's only a 3 question survey. Why split hairs?

Azervich
January 8th, 2014, 12:54 AM
I use 3ds max 2009 and in the list it says Max 9, isn't Max 9 and Max 2009 two different programs?

Scitimar
January 8th, 2014, 01:00 AM
I use 3ds max 2009 and in the list it says Max 9, isn't Max 9 and Max 2009 two different programs?

Yes they are, and they missed the current Max 2014 in the list .

:( :confused:

oknotsen
January 8th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Please add an option to question 3, being "I already use Blender, so I am not going to learn it again".

captainkman
January 8th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Please add an option to question 3, being "I already use Blender, so I am not going to learn it again".
Yes please, that's what I'm looking for! :D

Kieran.

pcas1986
January 8th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Yes please, that's what I'm looking for! :D

Kieran.

Well, have you considered that with all the new stuff in T:ANE, you just may need to learn it again. :wave: Or at least learn stuff you hadn't looked at before. Now that would be an interesting outcome and one I would like to see. Didn't we agree the Trainz Blenderheads only use about 5-10% of its capability?

Perhaps the survey could have addressed other tools as well, as I suggest most content creators would have a suite of tools at their disposal.

I'd be curious if anyone answered with Maya.

Lendorf
January 8th, 2014, 05:31 AM

Read this to find the answers:

http://area.autodesk.com/maxturns20/history

After 3DS Max9 came 3DS Max 2008, 2009, 2010 and so on.

Lennard

Scitimar
January 8th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I'd be curious if anyone answered with Maya.

One person did.

davesnow
January 15th, 2014, 06:20 PM
So where do we find out the results of the survey??

mabspc
February 15th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Kieran.

I would like to create content (especially multiple track street crossings) for a layout I'm working on. The only street crossings I have found are straight crossings, that allow for 1 or 2 lanes of traffic and 4 tracks. I have several crossings that are 45 or 315 degree crossings, but only 1 or 2 tracks. I need to create (or find) crossings for other "angled" crossings, and that cover between 1 and 10 tracks, 2 lane, 4 lane, 6 lane and 8 lane crossings.

Many of my "tracks" are at angles of 350, 320, 300, 330, 310, etc., and a 315 or 45 degree crossing does not work for me, when roads are at 90 or 0 degrees, or at other odd angles when they cross my tracks.

I need to create angled road intersections that are the same type of "road" (T-intersections and 4-way) and intersections that are 5 or 6-way intersections (such as many intersections found in Chicago, IL). I need to create corners that are not 45 or 90 degree corners (such as 15 and 30 degree corners) as well as 45 and 90 degree corners and without sidewalks (using different road textures - but mostly using or based on Yarn road textures).

Please contact me offline (at mastertype@mabspc.com) if you can be of any assistance here. Thanks.

clam1952
February 15th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Blender? http://www.blender.org/

You may want to remove your email address before the spam bots get it.

martinvk
February 15th, 2014, 03:40 PM
As clam1952 mentioned, ditch the open email address. If Trainers need to contact you, they can easily do so via your Trainz profile.

That's a mighty long shopping list. Good to know what you ultimately need for your route. Most should be pretty easy to make. Once you've done one, it's then a matter of making a copy and just doing the required modifications. Some like the 10 track crossing and the 8 lane crossing might be a problem. I seem to recall having difficulty getting trainz to control these wide crossing using the built-in kind mocrossing. Once some of the elements were beyond a certain distance from the center-line, they didn't respond to the control commands anymore. That was back in 2004, perhaps that has been resolved since then, I haven't tested it recently.

Roads and associated intersections are fun to make. Once you start, adding another variation to the set is relatively easy. Unless you are planning to have a seamless integration with existing roads, you don't have to worry too much about them joining correctly with other sets. If need be, a few transition pieces can be made to cover those cases. Five and 6 way intersection are no harder than 3 or 4 way types. As in all object creation, the texture is what will make or break the object. Being in the neighborhood, you have direct access to the real thing. Digital cameras are a great way to build up a library of appropriate textures.

I was in Chicago for a week last fall, admiring the architecture and your famous and fabulous L. Is that what you're working on? Hope to see a few screen shots when you're ready.

mabspc
February 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Where can I get a program to create the content?

As clam1952 mentioned, ditch the open email address. If Trainers need to contact you, they can easily do so via your Trainz profile.

That's a mighty long shopping list. Good to know what you ultimately need for your route. Most should be pretty easy to make. Once you've done one, it's then a matter of making a copy and just doing the required modifications. Some like the 10 track crossing and the 8 lane crossing might be a problem. I seem to recall having difficulty getting trainz to control these wide crossing using the built-in kind mocrossing. Once some of the elements were beyond a certain distance from the center-line, they didn't respond to the control commands anymore. That was back in 2004, perhaps that has been resolved since then, I haven't tested it recently.

Roads and associated intersections are fun to make. Once you start, adding another variation to the set is relatively easy. Unless you are planning to have a seamless integration with existing roads, you don't have to worry too much about them joining correctly with other sets. If need be, a few transition pieces can be made to cover those cases. Five and 6 way intersection are no harder than 3 or 4 way types. As in all object creation, the texture is what will make or break the object. Being in the neighborhood, you have direct access to the real thing. Digital cameras are a great way to build up a library of appropriate textures.

I was in Chicago for a week last fall, admiring the architecture and your famous and fabulous L. Is that what you're working on? Hope to see a few screen shots when you're ready.

oknotsen
February 15th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Where can I get a program to create the content?How about reading the reply to the previous time you asked that question?

BuzzKillington
March 7th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Yeah but if you knowingly download Sketchup models from DLS, you sort of deserve to get hosed on the poly count. It's much more beneficial to just go to the source and download from Sketchup's 3DWarehouse. I use 3DWarehouse almost exclusively for buildings, cars and people. If you have a working knowledge of Sketchup you can easily dumb down most models to work in Trainz. i.e. houses. It's not that difficult to edit a house with a full interior down to just the basic shell (which is all you will see most of the time anyway) and take a rather large poly count down to something more manageable to use on your layout. And texturing them to suit your taste is much more easily done in Sketchup than working in CM edit, which I find tedious at best and frankly have come to avoid with a passion. Through the process of learning how to edit other peoples incredible models I have almost learned enough about Sketchup to begin creating my own models. Of course, the models that I downloaded and edited from Sketchup will never be made public because they are not my models and are used for my personal layout only. But I have a '58 Plymouth on my layout that was well over 200,000 poly and I dumbed it down to less than 30,000 which makes it useable and looks great parked in front of my old McDonalds restaurant, which I "kitbashed" from several models. I'm sure that when I become more confident in my own ability to create my own models, and upload them to Sketchup, I will do so with the average Trainz user in mind who may not have the computer resource for a billion faces...but I really don't understand the Sketchup bashing except for the people who upload 400,000 poly models to DLS. I think it's great software and you don't need a BA in autocad to understand what you're doing.

YellowDoor
May 1st, 2015, 05:04 AM
Can we ignore the sketchup please. Let's not make a game that glorifies programs that makes a super high poly count on a box and horrid textures. Sure, some things look good and aren't too detrimental on performance but they're a rarity rather than the norm.

The last question makes sense if you're not using Blender already Kieran. If someone is using GMax, which is now considered obsolete, (although it does still make a good model) it is a worthwhile question to see if they would move onto Blender, which is much more up to date.

Jamie

all users that import high poly to trainz can only be a beginner.
sketchup have plugins for UV etc.,too.

all user tell others, ignore Sketchup...dont´know Sketchup really.

Sketchup have the same power like blender.

if you would look in the

https://extensions.sketchup.com

or http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore

registration required

you will find so many plugins..you will never find in blender
the most plugins is freeware
sketchup is for architectures and game developer, too.

if i find a high-poly file in the

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/ registration required

than i must make a lowpoly from this mesh or i design a lowpoly by my self.

you can design hight AND lowpoly in sketchup.
if users will tell you, sketchup make only high polys..this is not true.

the user is the bad boy. without knowledge about game development you will ever find highpoly in games. i can produce highpoly in Max or blender,too and i have the same result... bad framerate and other thinks.

Please dont ignore Sketchup..

sketchup is the easiest 3d enviroment i know. this is so easy, kids could be use this. any schools in the U.S.A. use Sketchup for teaching and edjucation.

the learning curve is very flate.

if you search via google picture..search for Sketchup and you will see what possible in Sketchup.

go to youtube and search for sketchup...this will open your eyes.

best regards

captainkman
May 1st, 2015, 05:11 AM
I would like to create content (especially multiple track street crossings) for a layout I'm working on. The only street crossings I have found are straight crossings, that allow for 1 or 2 lanes of traffic and 4 tracks. I have several crossings that are 45 or 315 degree crossings, but only 1 or 2 tracks. I need to create (or find) crossings for other "angled" crossings, and that cover between 1 and 10 tracks, 2 lane, 4 lane, 6 lane and 8 lane crossings.

Many of my "tracks" are at angles of 350, 320, 300, 330, 310, etc., and a 315 or 45 degree crossing does not work for me, when roads are at 90 or 0 degrees, or at other odd angles when they cross my tracks.

I need to create angled road intersections that are the same type of "road" (T-intersections and 4-way) and intersections that are 5 or 6-way intersections (such as many intersections found in Chicago, IL). I need to create corners that are not 45 or 90 degree corners (such as 15 and 30 degree corners) as well as 45 and 90 degree corners and without sidewalks (using different road textures - but mostly using or based on Yarn road textures).

Please contact me offline (at *removed*) if you can be of any assistance here. Thanks.
Hello,

This may not be seen by mabspc, but if it is, I am curious to know why an earlier post of mine was quoted in the post I have just quoted above.

Was mabspc directly asking me for assistance with the level crossings? Because I sure as heck can't provide that kind of assistance! :hehe: :D

Kieran.

pcas1986
May 1st, 2015, 08:08 AM
Hello,

This may not be seen by mabspc, but if it is, I am curious to know why an earlier post of mine was quoted in the post I have just quoted above.

Was mabspc directly asking me for assistance with the level crossings? Because I sure as heck can't provide that kind of assistance! :hehe: :D

Kieran.

Beats me, but the question was asked back in February 2014 so I wouldn't worry about it.

Threads that are dormant for more than six months should automatically be closed. It just confuses people. Especially me when I read a post I made 15 months ago and cannot recall what it was all about. :eek:

bnsf50
May 1st, 2015, 08:44 AM

Please contact me offline if you can be of any assistance here. Thanks.

Look for my crossings with the name NRC in it. These can be used for crossings of any angle and any number of tracks. You cannot make a crossing that has a road hookup for more than 4 tracks anyway, as the crossing would not stop the cars on the road that you attached to it. Its just the way the games crossing .gs is setup. So your best choice is the NRC crossings along with a thing called a car stopper. If you search the forum for ATLS, you'll find plenty of information about it.

Zeldaboy14
May 1st, 2015, 10:24 AM
Since this post began back in 2014 when I still used Sketchup, I now say to newbies to learn Blender fully. You can do so much more with Blender, and you can create to your hearts content. (That is, once you fully learn blender) You can bake texture's in Blender, you can do animations, and you can also do proper UV mapping. It will take time to fully learn Blender, but once you do, it will help by a longshot (Zelda pun intended).

n8phu
May 1st, 2015, 10:55 AM
As a 3dsmax user, I would actually tell new modelers to get Blender....

Then later if they wished, to learn 3ds max

Having two programs to model in isn't a bad thing at all.

As for Sketchup... for making models for a game, you need to be an EXPERT user to keep down the poly count. You need to know how Sketchup produces shapes to keep the poly counts low. New users DO NOT have that knowledge, nor does it have the mechanics to keep polys low. Additionally, the way people model in Sketchup, they use MULTIPLE graphics files instead of consolidating them.. these multiple graphics files means more processing is needed and slows the program way down.

captainkman
May 1st, 2015, 04:19 PM
Beats me, but the question was asked back in February 2014 so I wouldn't worry about it.

Threads that are dormant for more than six months should automatically be closed. It just confuses people. Especially me when I read a post I made 15 months ago and cannot recall what it was all about. :eek:
Yes, I do realise the time it was posted. But, there's always a small chance. Plus, I only saw the reply yesterday.

But did you see the post above mine? ;)

Kieran.