PDA

View Full Version : one for the techies

AntonyVW
December 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Im suspicious that one of my hard drives is going down. so I want to transfer TS12 onto one of the other drives. Is there a way of just copying it across and making alterations to the registry to see it in its new location? If so can someone give me a refresher course please on the registry and what needs altering? Or would it just be simpler to spend the hours required to reinstall from scratch and copy across the userdata folder?

fran1
December 24th, 2013, 09:23 AM
You can copy the whole folder over (others will say not) but it works for me.
You might as well try now and see.
Locate your present TS12 folder. r/click, copy. Go to your new location, re/click paste. You'll have to put a new shortcut on the desktop.
If your old TS 12 is in C drive it may be more difficult.

AntonyVW
December 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks. Its currently on F: drive so hopefully that wont be a problem. I'll give that.

RRSignal
December 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Just to confirm, yes, this works. I've moved Trainz across three computers already. Trainz creates most of the necessary registry entries. However, if you want to be able to double-click a CDP file and CMP to automatically start, Shaneturner has a tool to fix that up. Otherwise, Trainz is very, very portable.

JCitron
December 24th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Smart move! :)

Back ups are good to have anyway - you don't want to lose all your hard work and all your downloads and DLC if you have any. It's not that you can't get a lot of the downloads and DLC back, it's the pain of repairing, organizing and downloading all over again which wastes time.

You might want to try Seatools from www.seagate.com (http://www.seagate.com) This is a series of both destructive (careful) and non-destructive disk diagnostics that can help determine if your drive is heading for the bin.

John

shaneturner12
December 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Most of the time it's a case of copying the whole folder over but you will need to re-set the file associations (which my Trainz Protocol Changer tool can help with).

Shane

fran1
December 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Most of the time it's a case of copying the whole folder over but you will need to re-set the file associations (which my Trainz Protocol Changer tool can help with).

Shane

Re set file association ? Enlighten me, I've only had to put a new shortcut on desktop.

shaneturner12
December 24th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Certainly - most of the time, the associations for CDP/CDP2/CMPA files and the trainz:// addresses do not seem to carry over to the new location and need re-setting as a result.

Shane

clam1952
December 24th, 2013, 10:37 AM
That's only a problem if you want content manager to open cdp's when clicking on them, importing works if you need to download by means other than content manager as does drag and drop for me.

AntonyVW
December 24th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys. An hour or 2 copying the folder over is a darn sight quicker than what I thought I might have to. I wasn't sure if the registry would hold all the key bits - Im glad to hear its not. Its been a few years since I messed with the registry and the other alternative was just as bad to consider. In about 5 mins I should know how its worked.

pdkoester
December 24th, 2013, 11:12 AM
i moved mine, then looked in registry for everything "auran", adjusted anything from original drive (C) to the new one (D) and this also fixed the sounds not playing in content manager, downloading/finished/queued, etc...

clam1952
December 24th, 2013, 11:53 AM
i moved mine, then looked in registry for everything "auran", adjusted anything from original drive (C) to the new one (D) and this also fixed the sounds not playing in content manager, downloading/finished/queued, etc...

That reminds me of one of the features of Norton utilities before Symantec messed everything up. You could move a program and Norton would fix the registry and shortcuts to reflect the change, worked most of the time.