PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Installation

wolfguy100
November 22nd, 2013, 10:09 PM
Hello! I'm new here and eager to try out new Trainz 2012. But sadly, I ran into a problem...since I bought it and is a digital form, it asked me to install disk 1 for it to continue. I have no idea what that is and also, I tried to open setup1a.bin from my download page (see picture below, outlined in red box), it came up as a blank page and I have 3 remaining downloads. I tried to open setup1a.bin but it came up as a blank page. Anyone know what's going on? Is it missing a file?

EDIT: Forgot to blur out my numbers....sorry!
http://i.imgur.com/mytv4HD.png

cascaderailroad
November 22nd, 2013, 10:18 PM
installing overnight is recommended, without using your PC, with antivirus turned off, and never cancel an installation or patch that appears stuck ... some installations and patchs take 8 hours or more ... and may seem stuck ... but they are still silently writing a multitude of things on your PC .

JCitron
November 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
Hello Wolfguy1,

Welcome to the forums and to Trainz. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but once you get things straightened out, I'm sure you'll be off and running.

You need to download all the files and place them in a single folder. When you download the setup, ensure that that is named with an .exe on the end. Once all the downloads are complete, turn off you antivirus program first and to run the trainz setup program as administrator. Right-click on the installer and choose that from the list. Browse to a location where you want to install the program. A location outside of C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V\TS12 is recommended as this not only helps you manage your content later, but also ensures that Trainz will have proper access to the folders for writing data.

Good luck, and feel free to post additional questions.

Regards,

John

wolfguy100
November 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
Hello Wolfguy1,

Welcome to the forums and to Trainz. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but once you get things straightened out, I'm sure you'll be off and running.

You need to download all the files and place them in a single folder. When you download the setup, ensure that that is named with an .exe on the end. Once all the downloads are complete, turn off you antivirus program first and to run the trainz setup program as administrator. Right-click on the installer and choose that from the list. Browse to a location where you want to install the program. A location outside of C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V\TS12 is recommended as this not only helps you manage your content later, but also ensures that Trainz will have proper access to the folders for writing data.

Good luck, and feel free to post additional questions.

Regards,

John

When you say outside of "C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V\TS12" does that mean I can put it in my document? Or something? Thanks

JCitron
November 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
When you say outside of "C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V\TS12" does that mean I can put it in my document? Or something? Thanks

No, sorry I should have been clearer on that... my 2-year old nephew walked into my room to touch something while I was typing your post and I thought I got that detail in there!

C:\N3V\TS12 would be ideal.

John

wolfguy100
November 24th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Well, I'm still having problem...I tried to open Trainz Simulator 12 - setup-1a link in that page, it opens up in a new tab, just a blank page and nothing happened. No download, no nothing. And I'm running out of remaining downloads. I honestly am getting frustrated right now, I just want to play this program so I'd drive a tram on a customized route, etc but I HAD to face this mind baffling problem.

clam1952
November 24th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Well, I'm still having problem...I tried to open Trainz Simulator 12 - setup-1a link in that page, it opens up in a new tab, just a blank page and nothing happened. No download, no nothing. And I'm running out of remaining downloads. I honestly am getting frustrated right now, I just want to play this program so I'd drive a tram on a customized route, etc but I HAD to face this mind baffling problem.
They will reset the downloads if you can't get all the files and raise a helpdesk ticket, at a guess there may be a server problem, if you haven't got the rest I'd try them first and come back to that one later. If you are using IE try Firefox or Chrome, IE for some does strange things to downloads like strip the extensions off the files.

jbaxter1964
November 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Wolfguy,
You are not alone. I am attempting to download the same file from simulator central and having the exact same issues. Have been successful with the other five, but just have two attempts left on this one. Kinda glad to see it is not just me! :-)

I have submitted a help ticket and hope to hear from them soon.

Good luck, and hang in there!

jbaxter1964
November 25th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Wolfguy,
N3V fixed the link! Try it again!

dnevans8
November 26th, 2013, 07:06 AM

If you are running setup-1a then you are trying to run the wrong setup file. The one you should run is the last one on the list in your first post. Ensure that it has the .exe extension and add it if it is not present. This is because as mentioned a number of times above some browsers delete the extension for unnecessary safety reasons.

If you do not see any extensions on your files go into Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and make sure the "Hide extensions for known file types" box is unticked.

wolfguy100
November 27th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Ok, new problem I JUST encountered. I clicked on it and now I was faced that it is a "link not found" and took me to a yahoo search result. Now I got one download left and I'm getting paranoid if I clicked on it again. How do I reset my numbers of downloads?

JCitron
November 27th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Ok, new problem I JUST encountered. I clicked on it and now I was faced that it is a "link not found" and took me to a yahoo search result. Now I got one download left and I'm getting paranoid if I clicked on it again. How do I reset my numbers of downloads?

Contact the helpdesk. They can reset your file download count.

John

wolfguy100
December 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM
Well! How about that? I got a good news, a friendly person at customer service re-ordered my Train Simulator 2012 with no charge because of the problem with the original file! Of course, I am very happy about that and even more happier that setup-1a.bin link is working again! I may or may not have time to re-download all of them due to the size of it, but still happy nonetheless. I'll be sure and try to update you with news once I get them again!

Forgive me for lack of updates lately, I work at a retail and I was just getting over a horrible, stressful week, hopefully this week goes good. Have a good day/night!

curmudgeon66
December 4th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks to those folks who replied to the OP of this thread, I followed the advice as given, and last night when I finally broke down and spent the $$ to buy TS12, I had a successful download and installation on the first try.

Steps which I followed, and which I believe helped:
- I used Firefox browser, not IE.
- I used a download manager, DownThenAll! version 2.0.16.
- I saved the download files to a separate directory, not my normal "downloads" directory.
- I turned off my anti-virus checking programs, Norton Internet Security. ( I stopped all of it's functions until "next restart", as I did not know how long the install process would take. - - Following the full install of TS12, I rebooted my pc.)
- I created a directory at the root level of drive C: as follows \N3V\TS12

The only issue that I had was that at the end of installation the program immediately launched and got the error about not having sufficient authority to update the new directory. A quick search of this forum for that message told me to run as administrator. I then had to do a google search to learn how to run the program as administrator. Having learned that, I then ran TS12 as administrator and no longer received the error about authority.

This forum, and this thread in particular, were, I believe, critical to allowing me to have a successful initial installation of TS12.

THANK YOU
Curmudgeon66