PDA

View Full Version : NKP Freight Set: Is it worth it?

Bluewater
November 13th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Hi all.

I was looking at the NKP Freight Set and I was thinking of getting it because the classic PM 1225 will be included, not to mention it is high quality.

However, is it worth getting?

Thanks!

RRSignal
November 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I'm sure most who actually have it will say yes, but K&L is apparently working on one as a commission and it won't (presumably) be a part of the onerous DLC system, if that's an issue for you.

http://www.kltrainz.com/projects.html

oknotsen
November 13th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I was looking at the NKP Freight Set and I was thinking of getting itNot 100% sure, but I assume you mean the "Nickel Plate Road High Speed Fright"?

If you are also considering taking part in the Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/426668601/trainz-simulator-a-new-era-create-drive-operate-sh?ref=category), consider any pledge (except for the $5 and $25, but including the $20); they all include a reward that allows you to select that DLC. Maybe kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

nickelplateroad
November 13th, 2013, 10:07 PM
oknotsen, About Caboose for misspell?

pdkoester
November 13th, 2013, 10:08 PM
oknotsen, About Caboose for misspell?

There's been an update, believe it or not, and now that is not misspelled anymore.

Paul

cascaderailroad
November 13th, 2013, 10:22 PM
If you have TS12 SP1 ... it is a great asset !

Going out to the movies, and popcorn will blow $20 in one night ... The NKP Berkshire is great ... I'm going to have to get it one day ... when I eventually buy TS12 (which I don't have yet) !

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I purchased the NKP Berkshire using a major Credit Card, (as it is now on sale for $14.93) and it says the order is complete ... As with other previous orders, they were available immediately, within seconds of payment, and they are showing as available downloads on my SimCentral account ... But with the NKP Berkshire this is not showing at all as available for download ... I suppose that the asset automatically downloads into the TS12-SP1 installation when you start the game up ? This is DRM at its finest ... no available download ... and no downloaded file to back up on a hard drive. Just the hope and the promise that the NKP Bershire might automatically show up, if and when N3V decides that the DRM will let the asset, that I paid for, into the game installation. If N3V would close up shop, or be down, or offline, indefinitely ... I would never receive my download, nor could I re-download the asset that I paid for.

I really can not fathom why the asset does not come as a download package file, that one can back up on a hard drive or disc ?

OMG ... Do I hate DRM !

RRSignal
February 26th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I purchased the NKP Berkshire using a major Credit Card, (as it is now on sale for $14.95) and it says the order is complete ... As with other previous orders, they were available immediately, within seconds of payment, and they are showing as available downloads on my SimCentral account ... But with the NKP Berkshire this is not showing at all as available for download ... I suppose that the asset automaticly downloads into the TS12-SP1 installation when you start the game up ? This is DRM at its finest ... no available download ... and no downloaded file to back up on a hard drive. Just the hope and the promise that the NKP Bershire might automaticly show up, if and when N3V decides that the DRM will let thev asset that I paid for, into the game installation. If N3V would close up shop, or be down, or offline, indefinately ... I would never recieve my download, nor could I re-download the asset that I paid for.

Well, in that case, you wouldn't even be able to use it if you had it. :hehe:

I still have a free NKP DLC to give away if anyone wants it.

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I have TS12 ... But I have not installed it on my desktop PC, as it is in mothballs, as I don't use my desktop PC for laying tracks in Surveyor.

If I had the downloaded file ... I could rest assured that I had received the asset that I paid for ... but until I install TS12, and spend 4 days patching up to SP1 ... My NKP Berkshire (that I paid for) is being held captive by N3V ... until my game is installed.

And if my Desktop PC shorted out, and my laptop PC could not install and play TS12-SP1 ... I would "NEVER" receive the NKP Bershire file !

By the way, I bought TS12 (non-SP1) boxed disc from Jointed Rail for $9.95, and got a free $20 loco thrown in with the deal (I think the boxed discs are "Sold Out" at JR, and that they now only have digital downloads (whether they are non-SP1 is unknown to me).

How long does N3V save my unclaimed NKP Berkshire download ... If I can't claim it for a week, or a month ?

Highly unfair purchase practice !

Trainz In Game Downloadable Content
This DLC requires Trainz Simulator 12 SP1. After purchase the DLC will be automatically downloaded into Trainz when you next start the game.
Please ensure that you purchase the DLC with the account you use in Trainz Simulator 12 SP1.

So being that I purchased the NKP Bershire, without having TS12- installed, and not patched up to SP1 ... I greatly fear that I have thrown my money to the wind ... And I will never revceive the NKP Bershire, that I paid good money for !

So let me get this correct ... I install TS12, and I spend 4 days patching up to SP1 ... and the NKP Berkshire might, or might not, automatically install into my game (as I bought the NKP Berkshire prematurely, (without having TS12 registered or pre-installed) ... and when and if N3V goes out of business ... my NKP Berkshire disappears into cyberspace, and when the N3V server can not be connected due to N3V shutdown or bankruptcy, my DLC asset goes AWOL ?

AMTRAKwannabe
February 26th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I still have a free NKP DLC to give away if anyone wants it.

Really? I want it, not sure if it would matter to you though...

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I want my NKP Bershire too ... I paid good money for it ... I no get it, though ! ... It's being held hostage, via DRM !

I'm sure glad that Jointed Rail doesn't do business ... like this ! :cool:

You get what you pay for at JR ... You pay for what you get at N3V !

PBY357
February 26th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I have it, it is a nice DLC, but RR signal is right. the K&L one will be worth the wait. But the choice is truly yours.

ZecMurphy
February 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Good Morning Cascaderailroad
Your purchase for the Nickel Plate High Speed Freight Pack has been fully processed, and will automatically download (via our DLC system) into TS12 SP1 (or newer) next time to run Trainz with an active internet connection on that computer. We do indicate, extremely clearly, that the DLC pack requires Trainz Simulator 12 SP1 to be able to download. You have even quoted this in your previous post...

We do not place any time restrictions on when or how many times you can download a DLC pack via the DLC system. However, it can only be downloaded using the DLC system. Again, this has been made extremely clear to you before you purchased the product.

This is no different to any other minimum requirement. If you do not have TS12 SP1 installed, then your Trainz installation (which ever that may be) does not meet the minimum requirements for the DLC pack. In this case, the minimum requirement is a version that can download using the new DLC system (TS12 SP1 or newer).

It should be noted that the majority of JointedRail's items in the Simulator Central shop are also now available via the new DLC system, as are all other DLC packs listed in the shop. Any new items in the shop will only be available via the DLC system if purchased from simulator central.

Regards

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 08:03 PM
OK looking at the SP Patch page is totally ridiculous, as there are no instructions, not even a clue as to which builds to follow ... All I wanted to be able to do in TS10 was run the Aerotrain and PRR Fleet of Modernizum ... I was totally confused, and had to have personal instructions from someone who knew how to patch TS10 ... patching TS10: 42203 - 44088 - 49933

Now the patch process in TS12 is most confusing !
I want to have 2 stand alone versions of TS12 ... One the next highest, or best suggested build, below TS12-SP1 ... and the other version patched all the way up to SP1, so I can run the NKP Berkshire.
I really do not care about using Multiplayer, or not.

Someone please tell me:
1) the best patch procedure to get TS12 directly up to SP1 (so as to be able to run the NKP Berkshire) Multplayer is not one of my requirements or needs.
2) the best patch procedure to get to the best suggested version below SP1 (as I have heard that some versions have more bugs or glitch's, than others).

I have installed TS12 outside of C\ProgramFiles, my antivirus is disabled, and have not run a train in TS12 prior to patching (as I heard that this is a suggested requirement) ?

Some times I think I am undiagnosed dyslexic with numerals, but I haven't been to a doctor for 30 years, as the last doctor told me: "Get used to it" ... "You are getting old" ... "No one gets out of life alive ... that will cost you $178.00 " ! No DUH, I told him ! Just give me the patch, man ! So he gave me a sample pack of the CQ Patch to quit smoking ! I put it over my mouth ... It dint' taste very good at all ! Schtoopud patch !

ZecMurphy
February 26th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Good Afternoon Cascaderailroad
To work out which update you need, you first need to know what build number your installation of Trainz has. The current build number is shown on the bottom right corner of the launcher screen.

Then match this build number with the first number shown on the links on the service packs page (e.g. if you have build 49922, then download the update for build 49922). When you've found the update, download it and install.

As listed on some updates (mostly TS2010 ones), to avoid any complications while patching, we recommend doing the following:Please clear out the Temp folder on your computer. When you are ready to install the patch, disconnect your internet connection and shut down all programs (including anti-virus and similar). Now run the patch. We recommend that you leave the patch to install overnight, and that you do not use the computer whilst the patch is being installed. You may also want to try installing the patch under Safe Mode in Windows.

As to which update you download and install, this is up to you. If you wish to go direct to the latest Service Pack 1 build, then please select the appropriate update from the 'hotfix 4' list. Note, if you have an older TS12 installer, then you may need to download some of the earlier updates (again, match your build number to the newer patch for that build).

Regards

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I have TS12 46957 which leaves me many confusing paths to 477059 - 48249 - 49922 -
to either 58414 - 57825 - 61388
or 57825 - 58 Arrrgh !

How many patches do you need to install to get 46957 up to TS12 -SP1 ?
================================================== =========================
How many patches do you need to install to get 46957 up to the best suggested patch below SP1 ?
================================================== =========================
As I said I want to have 2 stand alone versions of TS12 on the same PC ... one build SP1 ... and one build non-SP1

ZecMurphy
February 26th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Good Afternoon Cascaderailroad
As per my previous reply, you should look for the latest update that matches your current build number (or the build number of the previous update).

As such, there are three updates that you require:

46957 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/46957_to_48249.exe

48249 to 49922: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/48249_to_49922.exe

49922 to 61388 (this is the service pack 1 update, with all current hotfixes included): http://download2.ts2009.com/49922_to_61388.exe

Since we have progressively released updates for Trainz, there ends up being quite a few different updates available. As such, we recommend looking for the newest updates for each build, as I've listed above.

Regards

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 09:10 PM
46957 to 48249 ... 48249 to 49922 ... 49922 to 61388 ... and this will bring me up to TRS12 -SP1 so I can run the NKP Berkshire ... Thank you for your prompt reply !
================================================== ================================================== =========================
Now for my second stand alone version of TS12 I will need several forum members to suggest the best, non glitch, non bug, non-SP1 version to patch up to, so as to be below SP1

As I said, I have: 46957 I want to have 2 stand alone builds of TS12 ... one build SP1 ... and one build non-SP1

When I first saw this NKP Berkshire, I was chomping at the bit ... and knew that I just have to have TS12 - SP1

clam1952
February 26th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Has to be 49922 for pre SP1, pretty much problem free.

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I see: 49922 it should be for the best suggested Pre-SP1 ... Thank you sir !

Any other recommendations beside 49922, for the best, most bug and glitch free, pre-SP 1 build ? Anyone else have any suggested builds ?

nicky9499
February 26th, 2014, 09:35 PM
49922. Hasn't given me problems at all, no database repair for almost half a year now and still chugging along.

On another note, way to hijack a thread dude.

cascaderailroad
February 26th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Hijack is not really true ... For the NKP Berkshire you need the best path to patch to SP1

And it is also informative to others to find out the best bug, glitch free, pre-SP1 patch.

I intend to find out exactly what is the best of both worlds.

And to report back: Is the: "NKP Freight Set: Is it worth it" ?

If I know Ocemy ... it is highly worth it !

And I'm going to find out how to speel Nickle ... Nickel ... Ahhhh ... Ferget' the typo ... it looks great !

RRSignal
February 26th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Amtrakwannabe (and anyone else who is interested:

I'll keep you in mind. Do you already have TS12 SP1 or later? Are you planning on getting any other DLC too?

The thing is, my voucher is for two DLC packs for supporting the Kickstarter project, but I don't think I can split it between two people.

pdkoester
February 26th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Couldn't you just download the latest installer files, backup the Userdata folder contents, uninstall TS12, run the installation with the newer install files? They will make it 61388 version when reinstalled. Then just restore your content. Less headache when I did it five times to figure out a problem I was having.

Paul

oknotsen
February 27th, 2014, 04:40 AM
I know it is hidden somewhere in this topic, but in case you overlook it and do not (or did not) receive the newsletter yet:

http://images.auran.com/newsletters/DLC/NKP/npk.png (http://www.simulatorcentral.com/index.php/nkp-high-speed-freight.html)

Reminder (although I think it is made more than clear to you before you buy it): You will need TS12SP1 for it.

cascaderailroad
February 27th, 2014, 07:44 AM
It has been cleared up: that you CAN buy it without having TS12, and without having SP1 ... And when you do buy TS12, and when you do patch up to SP1 ... then the next time you run Trainz TS12-SP1 it will automaticly install into your TS12-SP1 installation.

So you can buy the NKP Berkshire, even if you only have TRS2004 or UTC ... and months, or a year, down the road, it will be activated once you purchase TS12, and patch up to SP1.

So even if you don't own Trainz, at all ... You can still buy it !

So it's sort of like buying a diamond engagement ring, while you are still incarcerated a prison penal colony ... You can buy it ... You just can't use it ... but when you do get out, and finally get a GF ... You can get hitched up, and have little chilren's !

AMTRAKwannabe
February 27th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Amtrakwannabe (and anyone else who is interested:

I'll keep you in mind. Do you already have TS12 SP1 or later? Are you planning on getting any other DLC too?

The thing is, my voucher is for two DLC packs for supporting the Kickstarter project, but I don't think I can split it between two people.

Yes, I have TS12 SP1 HF4. And I also plan to eventually get the Aerotrain after I get some more money in the upcoming spring and summer months.

Thanks for replying,
AMTRAKwannabe

P.S. I suggest we move this to private messaging.

cascaderailroad
February 28th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I installed TS12-SP1 on an external HD, and connected it to my cheepo integrated graphics laptop ... and it runs choppy (but my laptop is to blame for that).

The first 2 SP patch's completed in @ 15 min each ... the 3rd SP1 patch took a long time overnight, and when I woke up, it was displaying "Trainz.Utilities is not responding ... Close ?" ... I clicked the "Red X on Close Program" to turn the "Close Program" notice off, and I kept running the SP1 patch, and it finally completed ... never cancel a patch, it is always doing something silently, taking a long time to complete.

Anyway ... The NKP Berkshire, Aerotrain, and the rest of my payware DLC installed automatically ... and the NKP Berkshire looks GREAT ! :cool:

psteg
February 28th, 2014, 12:50 PM
To answer your question. I have the NKP Freight set and yes I like it very much. Nice detail and everything works well. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

luvintrainz
February 28th, 2014, 01:12 PM
OK, so I'm sure it's been answered before, but I don't know to much about the patching things and what not, if my TS12 Build is 58414, would it be alright to buy the NKP High Speed Freight Set?

shaneturner12
February 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Your build will support the NKP set, as it's at or above 57720.

Shane

luvintrainz
February 28th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Ok, thank you for the response Shane.

GDennish
February 28th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I apologize for being off topic, but TS12 SP1 does not allow to save the DLC as .cdps right? TS12 lags like crazy on my PC (which has really good specs) and I usually save content as a CDP to run on TRS2009 (which barely any if any lag at all). I did that with the Y6B and a few other TS12 engines on my Pre-SP1 TS12 installation.

shaneturner12
February 28th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I don't think it allows saving as CDPs, but it is possible to back up the Packages folder in the TS12 install folder to another drive to back up the DLC content in TS12 SP1.

Shane

cascaderailroad
February 28th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Even if you could save it as a CDP, it would work in no other version, or build, than TS12-SP1

GDennish
February 28th, 2014, 03:46 PM
It might not by default, but I'm sure you could edit it so it would work.

cascaderailroad
February 28th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Doubtful :o I Don't tink' dat' is possible.

I'm loving TS12-SP1 ... Whether I like it, or not ... And am running the fabulous NKP Berkshire with reckless abandon to safe speed limits ! :cool:

philskene
February 28th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Hi Shane -

" ... but it is possible to back up the Packages folder .. ."

As one who likes to backup what I have purchased, that's exactly what I have done. The folder to backup is N3V Games\TS12\UserData\packages\sc118

When removing or reinstalling this folder, do an Extended Database Repair.

As yet I haven't managed to get it into TS12 unpatched (my prefered version of Trainz) but I'm working on it. If I succeed I'l report back.

I've also had issues with the safety valve popping almost continuously.

It's impossible to alias the locomotives to other enginespecs because editing the files is not allowed - I absolutely HATE the way the content been locked down.

A work around is to take another enginespec and change its kuid to kuid2:276266:100041:2 It then obsoletes the existing one.

Phil

shaneturner12
February 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM
That's correct in terms of doing a DB repair as well. I don't think it's possible to import it into a pre-SP1 build though unless it's a standard asset folder with either a config.chump or config.txt file. I am aware though that the texture files cannot be edited though.

Shane

Zeldaboy14
February 28th, 2014, 04:17 PM
@Shane, as in .texture files, or TGA's? .texture's can be turned into tga's, and tga's can be editied by gimp, Paint.NET, Adobe photoshop, just to name a few.

shaneturner12
February 28th, 2014, 04:19 PM
In terms of .texture files. Images2TGA is not able to convert .texture files that are part of a payware DLC pack in TS12 SP1.

Shane

Zeldaboy14
February 28th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Really? To think that Auran/N3V stopped using .texture files quite some time ago. Well, can't you copy the .textures then use Images2tga on them, or has N3V cast a magic barrier lock on the files?

shaneturner12
February 28th, 2014, 04:24 PM
They've somehow prevented conversion of the files - not sure exactly what method though.

Shane

cascaderailroad
February 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Once locked ... It is almost, or entirely, impossible, for even the content creator that made the original asset, can not open it for edit.

I'm running it "as is" ... And yes, the NKP Berkshire freight set, is worth it !

GDennish
February 28th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Wow, they now use a different form of compression? That's a shame.

nicky9499
March 1st, 2014, 02:01 AM
Welcome to the wonders of bloody DRM. Enjoy!

philskene
March 1st, 2014, 02:38 AM
For the original poster (best watched full screen and in HD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGwbogFY9U

WindWalkr
March 1st, 2014, 05:17 AM
For the original poster (best watched full screen and in HD):

Very cool :)

chris

harpman
March 2nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
I never got the full set to 'show' in my install. I had the latest patch applied, did all the 'database repairs' prior and when it installed, one of the locos would been seen, the other would be invisible. The caboose could come and go as far as being seen after numerous attempts to install, reinstall, etc. I sent in more than one ticket to the support desk, got replies and some help but the issue was never fully resolved from the help desk. So, I've never received the full benefit of having purchased it.

clam1952
March 2nd, 2014, 10:33 AM
Try this? Delete it from the packages folder or move it out of there and run a QDR, that will remove any reference to it from the database, then allow it to download again, that I think should sort it out.

cascaderailroad
March 2nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Great video ... But why does everybody use the tag along, helicopter view, tracking mode ?

Trackside rotating cameras would really show off the loco and route.

norfolksouthern37
March 2nd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Really? To think that Auran/N3V stopped using .texture files quite some time ago. Well, can't you copy the .textures then use Images2tga on them, or has N3V cast a magic barrier lock on the files?

Actually .texture files are used on every asset.

They've somehow prevented conversion of the files - not sure exactly what method though.

Shane

It is actually quite simple.

Once locked ... It is almost, or entirely, impossible, for even the content creator that made the original asset, can not open it for edit.

How do you know this?

Great video ... But why does everybody use the tag along, helicopter view, tracking mode ?

Trackside rotating cameras would really show off the loco and route.

We were all waiting for you to do it is why.

I got this set, and I think it is great aside from some small annoyances like the safety always being popped when I am not in direct control of the engine, and the engine specs may not be the best. It looks very nice and certainly deserves some recognition for that!

cascaderailroad
March 2nd, 2014, 12:43 PM
You can add a tag to a config file, and it locks the asset or route, permanently, so locked that you yourself can't view/open the config file of your own locked asset.

If I filmed it ... it would be 0.05 FPS on my cheepo laptop

norfolksouthern37
March 2nd, 2014, 01:24 PM
That isn't true. this tag only applies to items inside .ja files. If you place it in any other file it will have no effect. My engines that I included in TS12 have this tag, but since I have installed local versions of them I can still open them, even with the tag set.

luvintrainz
March 2nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
I know that I can for some reason open the SP SD40T-2.

cascaderailroad
March 2nd, 2014, 01:32 PM
Example: Even old assets like Phil_C SD70's ... Can you open them ?

They are locked.

I even tried to clone them ... and it is unauthorized.

You can not even "View Config File"

norfolksouthern37
March 2nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
No because they are built-in and inside of a .ja file. You can normally view the configs though.

I'll say it again. the tag only takes effect when the asset is in a .ja (i.e. built-in).

see: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/%22privileges%22_container

Trust me I have these set on a lot of things in case they are included in trainz and it does not only apply to TS12 as the container has been around for a very long time.

cascaderailroad
March 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
It really would be nice if the NKP Berkshire could be edited by legal purchasers of TS12 ... But I think it is hopelessly locked.

The PRR Fleet Of Modernizium has a really lame, barfy, whistle and bell, that I would like be able to edit ... But that DLC asset may be locked as well.

philskene
March 2nd, 2014, 04:01 PM
Justin --

" ... small annoyances like the safety always being popped when I am not in direct control of the engine, and the engine specs may not be the best."

Try downloading "US Big Steam enginespec".

Change its kuid to
kuid2:276266:100041:2

Edit it so that
safety-valve-low-pressure = 2496

This overcomes the almost continuous popping of the safety valves. And I think it's a better enginespec.

I've also done the same to "Steam Engine Sound - 2 cylinder". Clone it and make it
kuid2:123250:100141:2

Phil

cascaderailroad
March 3rd, 2014, 04:33 AM
How are you going to open it, to edit it, or clone it ?

Jananton
March 3rd, 2014, 06:25 AM
Justin --

" ... small annoyances like the safety always being popped when I am not in direct control of the engine, and the engine specs may not be the best."

Try downloading "US Big Steam enginespec".

Change its kuid to
kuid2:276266:100041:2

Edit it so that
safety-valve-low-pressure = 2496

Phil

One small question Phil, what to do with the high pressure part, wouldn't that fire instead as it's about 900 KPa lower then the low value now?
Confirm with the 'How to' description on the wiki for steam engine specs I've changed the safety-valve-high-pressure to 2531.

Greetings from drizzly Amsterdam,

Jan

philskene
March 3rd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Hi cascade --

Changing a kuid must be done externally:

Find it in Content Manager
Open for edit (Ctrl-Shift-E)
In Windows File Manager, copy the folder to a temporary location
Open the config.txt
Change the kuid
Save
Drag and drop the whole folder back into Content Manger
Commit.

Hi Jan --

The whole enginespec thing is, I still suspect, something of a black art known to only those with decades of specialised training and who follow a ritual and make up enginespecs only when the moon is full and Saturn in ascension.

That Big Steam involved a whole lot of trial and error that worked just fine in TS12 without the Service Patch but not so well in TS12 with the SP. So something changed internally.

Changing the low-pressure seems to improve it - though of course it's difficult to be absolutely sure.

If anybody has a better solution ... .

Phil

jbaxter1964
March 3rd, 2014, 09:16 PM
Phil,
I'm trying to follow you on the process to fix the "stuck" safety valve on the NKP S-2. I have downloaded the Big Steam enginespec, and made the change to the config and kuid#. Now, how do I go about changing the enginespec pointer for the S-2 to Big Steam? This asset is listed as built in and it won't let me commit any changes. I understand why I think, because it is N3V payware, but it seems I am missing a step to get around that. I feel like I am so close to fixing this very annoying problem. Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

norfolksouthern37
March 3rd, 2014, 09:53 PM
you wont be able to change the asset.

philskene
March 4th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Hi jb --

If you look at the config.txt file (highlight "NKP S-2 Steam" in the main pane of Content Manager / Right Click / "View Config File"), for the S-2 it contains the line:
enginespec <kuid:276266:100041>

That is, the engine spec used by the locomotive is kuid:276266:100041

If you look at the config.txt file of this kuid, you will find all the parameters used to eg generate steam.

The easy way of altering the enginespec used by S-2 would be to edit the S-2 locomotive's config.txt file and substitute another enginespec, eg kuid2:69871:2132:1 which is "US Big Steam enginespec".

But unfortunately all the NKP DLC is locked down. It just cannot be changed.

So the work around to this that I'm suggesting is to obsolete kuid:276266:100041 with kuid2:276266:100041:2 where kuid2:276266:100041:2 is the enginespec that you think will perform at least as well but without the safety valve noise.

And the one that I'm suggesting is "US Big Steam enginespec" which works just fine in TS12 without the Service Patch but not quite so well with the SP.

So we have to download and install "US Big Steam enginespec", make it kuid2:276266:100041:2 and then modify one (or more?) of the parameters.

My Post #62 describes how to change the kuid of US Big Steam enginespec to kuid2:276266:100041:2

Phil

Phil

jbaxter1964
March 4th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Phil,
I really appreciate the detailed response. I believe I have it now. Followed all the steps last night, but still had the safety lifting as before. Will retrace my steps and check it again. Maybe a higher setting will do the trick.

Not a huge deal, but when the AI is driving this great loco the constant steam dump gets old fast.

Thanks again!

Edit:

Got it! I had fat fingered a kuid number. Good to go, and the engine sounds great!

Thanks, Phil!!

philskene
March 4th, 2014, 01:43 PM
jb --

It's always good to have feedback. Thanks.

Phil

ingha
March 5th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Dear Phil,

Thank you for this workaround. I am not so bright and do not understand: '3. In Windows File Manager, copy the folder to a temporary location'. How do you do this please?

Ingha

Jananton
March 5th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Hi Jan --

The whole enginespec thing is, I still suspect, something of a black art known to only those with decades of specialised training and who follow a ritual and make up enginespecs only when the moon is full and Saturn in ascension.
<snip>

Phil
Hi Phil,

Actually I just deducted the KPa equivalent of 15 Psi from your low-valve value and added 20 Psi to that result for the high-value. Haven't checked Saturn, but maybe playing the 'Moon' song from the musical 'Hair' in the background would help. :hehe:

A short test looked like the constant popping of valves is remedied by this. Didn't have the time to do a long run yet though.

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

ingha
March 9th, 2014, 05:18 AM
With reference to philskenes' post 62, after opening the 'big steam' asset for edit he continues, '3. In Windows File Manager, copy the folder to a temporary location'.

How do you do this please? Help appreciated.

Ingha

philskene
March 9th, 2014, 06:32 AM
When you Open for Edit (shortcut Ctrl-Shift-E), Windows File Manager should open at the relevant folder. If not go hunting for it in NV3\ ... \UserData\Editing (or some such - done from memory because I don't have access to my Trainz PC).

Copy this folder to eg C:\temp.

Now you can edit the kuid number in config.txt

Hi Jan --

Which just confirms this whole enginespec thing really is voodoo black magic.

ingha
March 9th, 2014, 06:52 AM
'When you Open for Edit (shortcut Ctrl-Shift-E), Windows File Manager should open at the relevant folder. If not go hunting for it in NV3\ ... \UserData\Editing (or some such - done from memory because I don't have access to my Trainz PC).

Copy this folder to eg C:\temp.

Now you can edit the kuid number in config.txt'.

Yes, I can do that, but then I cannot get the edited file back into Content Manager. If I do and then try and commit, it just says 'cannot commit because wrong kuid'.

Sorry to be so thick.

Ingha

shaneturner12
March 9th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Once that is done, you need to import from the folder you copied the asset to using Import Content. Make sure you revert the original version first though.

Shane

philskene
March 9th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Shane --

A quicker way is to just drag and drop the folder into the main pane of Content Manager.

shaneturner12
March 9th, 2014, 07:27 AM
True, but in some case this does not work hence my suggestion which always works.

Shane

ingha
March 9th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Success! Many thanks. Nobel prizes for you both.

Ingha

axe1970
June 5th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Just bought this DLC at $15. Download is really slow. only getting 29.28kb/sec should be getting 400+kb/sec.

regards

sdiesel
June 5th, 2014, 09:41 AM
by far the best [looking] steamer in the game, ocemy really knows his texturing. thanks much phil for the payware workaround!

flyboy559
June 5th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I like the set except for the crew for the crew building and the caboose. I just don't like the really fat guy. I think he looks weird. But other than that I love the set.

Zeldaboy14
June 6th, 2014, 12:20 AM
I like the set except for the crew for the crew building and the caboose. I just don't like the really fat guy. I think he looks weird. But other than that I love the set.
Is it the Fat Controller that's on the train?:hehe:

axe1970
June 6th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks Phil, I just added the new engine spec. Pretty good result.

Regards

Santafe1945
August 17th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Hi all.

I was looking at the NKP Freight Set and I was thinking of getting it because the classic PM 1225 will be included, not to mention it is high quality.

However, is it worth getting?

Thanks!

I have the NKP and it is utterly beautiful - photo-real, highly articulated right down to chains swaying on the tender. There is, however, one MAJOR issue (that from what I've read exists with many steam locos in Trainz) -- the exceptionally LOUD hissing of steam releasing. It is almost incessant!

I've read numerous posts on this forum from people who, like myself, are aggravated and frustrated that rather than implementing what should be a very easy volume fix (a simple config. adjustment of volume value or a slider in-game), the devs are saying that in the real world, release of steam is quite loud....but, as many others have pointed out - to no avail - they are interested in the nostalgia and beauty of this exceptional steam engine but the constant, blaring hiss, basically ruins the experience.

It's one thing to be a "purist" about the physics, etc., but many people who paid for the locomotive are rightfully are frustrated at the overly loud hissing, and are frustrated that the devs apparently will do nothing other than post long excuses as to why they won't make a simple volume change that would definitely improve the experience.

Sorry for the long post but I did want to advise you of that issue in the event you have not followed the posts about it. I sincerely hope the devs will make the often-requested changes to the volume.....

sdiesel
August 17th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I sincerely hope the devs will make the often-requested changes to the volume.....

thankfully, you have found the thread to fix that very problem. =D

(well, maybe not the volume of the sound file, but an espec change to fix the problem.)