PDA

View Full Version : Beware there are two types of fixed track

deisan
November 10th, 2013, 03:57 PM
It took me almost a year to find that the "Fixed Track" are not the same gauge regardless of the length. Some sections the rail is just slightly wider gauge than other sections of fixed track. The only way to tell the ones that are a slightly wider gauge is to note that the edges have more of a ballast line outside the rails. I seem to recall that I saw a setting where you could set your running operation to no derailments but I never did this. I do know that you will derail running from one section of fixed track to this wider gauge fixed track. Deisan

PEV
November 10th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Most track is a spline which is calculated in the game. Fixed track is a scenery object (in effect) with an invisible spline attached to it. The trains run on the centre line of the spline regardless of the apparent gauge so changes in appearance of track will not cause derailments. Trains will derail only when splines are broken. (meaning non-continuous)

NSWGR_46Class
November 10th, 2013, 05:26 PM
do not use the fixed track there is no need for it at all
It took me almost a year to find that the "Fixed Track" are not the same gauge regardless of the length. Some sections the rail is just slightly wider gauge than other sections of fixed track. The only way to tell the ones that are a slightly wider gauge is to note that the edges have more of a ballast line outside the rails. I seem to recall that I saw a setting where you could set your running operation to no derailments but I never did this. I do know that you will derail running from one section of fixed track to this wider gauge fixed track. Deisan

Azervich
November 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Fixed track can be useful in many ways, like if you put one on the start of a curve and the end of a curve you can rotate one till you get the correct radius, another use for them is to align double track to the correct width on main lines, and of cause you can also use them to set grades more accurately,

JackClare1995
November 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I also find them very useful when aligning a track with a platform (rather than a platform with a track). It's much easier to accurately align the platform with the track because all you have to move is the platform, to align the track with a platform already in place you have to take the train off the track, move it then put it back on. With fixed track it's very easy :)