PDA

View Full Version : TPR to close?

teddytoot
October 6th, 2013, 01:13 PM
According to a post on their forum TPR is to close in November. Is this correct and if so, what will happen to the Download Depot?

cascaderailroad
October 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hmmm ... Now ... What do you think, would happen ?

We would all go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QexBIH7mnGE

There's a gas station down the street from me, that closed, and it still displays a sign $1.67 a gallon ... do you think they still sell gas ?

Free Beer ... Tomorrow !

johnwhelan
October 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM
According to a post on their forum TPR is to close in November. Is this correct and if so, what will happen to the Download Depot?

Where was the post?

Thanks John

slabay
October 6th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you better start downloading anything you might want before it is gone forever.

cascaderailroad
October 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Never fear ... As cascaderailroad has twelve 1TB hard drives, stockpiled with hundreds of thousands of CDP's
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?57556-The-last-man-standing-who-has-the-most-toys-wins-!&p=619649#post619649
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?57556-The-last-man-standing-who-has-the-most-toys-wins-!&p=923187#post923187

hholdenaz
October 6th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I couldn't find anything related to closure on the forum, so I think you're just trying to tease us or something. If not, where's the proof?

shaneturner12
October 6th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'm afraid it looks genuine. Here's the relevant forum post: http://www.trainzproroutes.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7677

Shane

EDIT: Logging in to TPR is required to view the thread in question.

clam1952
October 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Ouch! Looks pretty final to me, that's going to hurt the 2004 gang.

captainkman
October 6th, 2013, 04:37 PM
What we need to do now is plan a new Download Depot for TRS2004 content. I'd offer a large portion of my website but then there's the problem of accounts which my website can't do; only password protected pages.

Kieran.

robin_hoods
October 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Here is a copy of the post by kdshanks
It is sad to say that the TPR site will be shutting down in Nov. http://www.trainzproroutes.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Reason: Lack of interest by the TPR board members.

If someone or a group of individuals wish to keep the site going please contact me. It is not a cheap endeavor. If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks for all the good time and God bless

I am the admin for the TPR depot so its in my interest to keep the site open, at this time I dont know what the impending closure will affect I dont know if it will affect the depot or not as I have not been informed about any of this.
I myself would be willing to donate some money but it needs to be shared out among all TRS2004 members who get there content from TPR.
It also not just a one off payment that would be needed but a yearly fund to continue the site in its current state
So is there any one out there among the TRS2004 users who would be willing to contribute?
Let me know via PM I can then contact kdshanks

hholdenaz
October 6th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Here is a copy of the post by kdshanks
It is sad to say that the TPR site will be shutting down in Nov. http://www.trainzproroutes.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Reason: Lack of interest by the TPR board members.

If someone or a group of individuals wish to keep the site going please contact me. It is not a cheap endeavor. If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks for all the good time and God bless

I myself would be willing to donate some money but it needs to be shared out among all TRS2004 members who get there content from TPR.
It also not just a one off payment that would be needed but a yearly fund to continue the site in its current state
So is there any one out there among the TRS2004 users who would be willing to contribute?
Let me know via PM I can then contact kdshanks

You could still take the site onto Jimdo.com, and it won't cost a thing.

shaneturner12
October 6th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I doubt Jimdo will allow the amount of data that would be required for the TPR Download Depot.

Shane

captainkman
October 6th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I doubt Jimdo will allow the amount of data that would be required for the TPR Download Depot.

Shane
Maybe not, but it could be combined with a file hosting site such as MediaFire or DropBox (I use the first but recommend the second) to upload the stuff.

I could start a section for TRS2004 content on my site, or any site, and then split that page up into the sub-categories that TPR has, and then provide an image and download link to a file on a file-hosting site. It would be free too, but then again, it would be difficult to have some sort of sign-up and members access feature. Those luxuries usually need to be paid for.

Kieran.

shaneturner12
October 6th, 2013, 05:11 PM
A site that can support a CMS system (Content Management System) may be able to help there, but even if using MediaFire/Dropbox, there may still be a limit on how much can be stored, especially if it's all under one user account.

Shane

amigacooke
October 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
What seems to be missing here is regret that a group of fine content makers have lost interest in Trainz. TPR go back a long way and produced many innovations for Trainz.

Sorry to see you go and thanks.

captainkman
October 6th, 2013, 05:26 PM
A site that can support a CMS system (Content Management System) may be able to help there, but even if using MediaFire/Dropbox, there may still be a limit on how much can be stored, especially if it's all under one user account.

Shane
If that's what happens, then I'll handle the British stuff. :)

Kieran.

shaneturner12
October 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sounds reasonable. Even my site can handle a certain amount thanks to the hosting plan, but I'm not sure on the hosting company's stance when it comes to that kind of thing.

Shane

gremlin1812
October 6th, 2013, 05:34 PM
G'day All, as I see it it's a bit of a no brainer, "If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr." lets see 10 people with $14 a year, 14 people with $10 a year or 28 people with $5 a year. There must be enough people out there that want to keep the site going and I for one would be happy to put a share in to keep it up as the amount of good assets and invaluable information there is more than worth a few $$$.
Regards
Barrie

ryanstrains
October 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
G'day All, as I see it it's a bit of a no brainer, "If I remember right the cost per year is approx. $140/ yr." lets see 10 people with $14 a year, 14 people with $10 a year or 28 people with $5 a year. There must be enough people out there that want to keep the site going and I for one would be happy to put a share in to keep it up as the amount of good assets and invaluable information there is more than worth a few $$$.
Regards
Barrie
Hosting24 offers unlimited stuff for like $60-80 a year, if anyone at TPR wants to go that route, I can help lower the list cost a bit more with a code if you contact me.

JCitron
October 6th, 2013, 06:08 PM
What seems to be missing here is regret that a group of fine content makers have lost interest in Trainz. TPR go back a long way and produced many innovations for Trainz.

Sorry to see you go and thanks.

I agree. They were the ones that were in the midst of the high times of Trainz with the SCS and other great stuff such as the LARS industries and interactive content.

I do know that the Download Depot is on a separate server and requires a separate login. Perhaps this could be preserved. It's more than just support for the TRS2004 community here as there are still many, many assets on the DLS with dependencies going back to the TPR website. We lose this resource and this will break a lot of routes, industries, and even rolling stock.

John

boyerm25
October 6th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I WOULD start a TS2004 asset hosting website if the download depot is going to close, people could email me their assets and I would upload them.

narrowgauge
October 6th, 2013, 06:42 PM
First off - I will contribute 10% per annum for the next two years in advance. At my age there may not be too much future beyond that.

Secondly, we need to know two things before offering web space. How many GB of space is required and what is the permitted monthly traffic?

I have two virtually empty sites that were used to support to the DHR, they cost nothing apart from the annual cost of the domain names. Is there anything specific about the TPR hosting and password system that may be a problem. I nay case they would be available as temporary storage if there is a hiatus between closing of the current site and finding a new one.

Peter

narrowgauge
October 6th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I have just checked. The sites I refer to are free with domain - 10GB space and 300GB per month traffic. The only cost is the domain name renewal at about $10.

Peter

sparky15
October 6th, 2013, 07:44 PM
The authors of the content allowed TPR to host it. I don't think you can just take their content and host it without their permission.

boyerm25
October 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I didn't mean without permission, I meant someone could email THEIR 2004 content to me.

johnwhelan
October 6th, 2013, 08:31 PM
We could try virtual Bittorrent sync http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html?utm_source=bittorrent&utm_medium=web&utm_content=banner&utm_campaign=general

I've put my GWR coaches in a read only folder the password is BEL7WFP36ZVEHQM7BMXH7QZNQS3OZBDF7 if any one wants to try it out.

Thanks John

frogpipe
October 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Here's a question:

How many Mb per month downloading bandwidth?

How many Mb of files?

mikeaust
October 7th, 2013, 12:52 AM
As one of the many that prefer to use older versions of Trainz, I think it is time to put our money where our mouth is.
We should back Robin Hoods if the closure comes to pass and keep the main repository for older assets outside the DLS.
cheers,
Mike

H222
October 7th, 2013, 01:20 AM
I find it funny how all you guys can put money where your mouth is to help TPR but you can't buy an FCT or a new version...

KenGreen
October 7th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Regards
Barrie

This seems to be the most sensible idea. A FCT cost about 15 per year. Surely an annual subscription of 5 per year is not unreasonable. Robin could start ccollecting pledges on a year by year basis.

just noticed we are in dollars so it's even cheaper!

Ken

AJ_Fox
October 7th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I'm the one who came up with the name Trainz Depot. I've been a member there for a long time. I hope TPR doesn't go away.

Cheers

AJ

Vern
October 7th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Users could upload their stuff at Trainsim.com or even UKTS. I have a couple of Trainz routes located at the former which for various reasons I won't go into here didn't make it on the DLS. TS.com does allow free downloads at a moderate speed with the option of premium membership, UKTS is a bit crippled for free downloads but does have the advantage you can purchase premium in monthly chunks for a nominal price if you like.

mikeaust
October 7th, 2013, 02:28 AM
H222 just so happens I have a FCT and I have TS12 but choose not to go to SP1.
Just another one of your usal posts,
Cheers,
Mike

H222
October 7th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Block me if you don't like the truth :) albeit not sugar coated

JCitron
October 7th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Keep it peaceful, please and ON topic.

John

meridious
October 7th, 2013, 02:14 PM
TPR Is Not Going To Close !!

I talked with Kevin and we have decided that robin_hoods & myself will keep the site going for at least 1 more year. We have put alot of time and effort into the Depot & we do not wish to let it die. AJ was very instrumental in pushing me to get the depot going. Yes we do have 2 servers. I pay for the one out of my own pocket. The other is kept going by donations. If it comes down to it, I will host the Depot at my business server.

cascaderailroad
October 7th, 2013, 02:49 PM
You just saved yourself from server download overload, as hundereds of people would all be trying to log in, and download a million, billion, trillion, gazillion, assets

I think your site is great, and very useful indeed !

Thank You !

matruck
October 8th, 2013, 03:09 AM
I've donated in the past and will again if need be, I've grabbed heaps of stuff from TPR over the year's and don't mind supporting site's that do a wonderful job of storing content for us to grab when we feel like.
Cheers Mick.

AJ_Fox
October 8th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Mer : )

Great to hear from you again and glad to hear the good news.

Cheers

AJ

robin_hoods
October 8th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Can I ask that if anyonre can donate money to keep TPR going can they please do so on the TPR Donate page where it says make a donation = http://www.trainzproroutes.org/