PDA

View Full Version : converting 2004 routes to 2012

maverick87
September 17th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Is it possible to transfer a custom route built in TS2004 to TS1012?

cascaderailroad
September 17th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Yes ... routes can be upgraded to higher versions ... but can not be downgraded to lower versions.

RRSignal
September 17th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Is it possible to transfer a custom route built in TS2004 to TS1012?

The short answer is yes, the longer answer as whether or not this is a good idea is a big subject of debate, since it will break compatibility will all older versions and possibly make said route into a time-limited product.

sparky15
September 17th, 2013, 10:48 PM
You can bring older routes into newer versions. N3V has obsoleted some older content, though. Trees will not show well or be replaced by Speedtrees. Original MP track may not show up.
Be prepared for some reworking but it shouldn't be too bad.

JCitron
September 17th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I have done this numerous times. Sometimes it's worth it and then there are other times it's too much work. Do keep in mind about backward compatibility, but this is pretty normal for most programs anyway. There are newer features in TS12 that TRS2004 and other versions never had. Bringing those things, with newer content back, can and probably will mess things up a lot. Besides, the map files and ground files are totally different format-wise than they were in the previous versions.

Keep in mind that SpeedTrees do work okay if you:

1) Replace them with better ones such as Pofig's offerings on his own website. They are not on the DLS, however. If you are looking for DLS available trees check out those by 2) Use McGuirel's wonderful trees instead of use both if you wish.

2) Thin them out. Yup. The old flipboard trees are bit closer and denser, making the Speed Tree replacement way too thick. This I found can really hurt the frame rates.

After that it's all up to you what you'll replace. There are some really nice track options now such as those by samplaire (username) His track begins with SAM. There are plenty of others as well others. The newer roads, such as the YARN series and the newer YARNISH roads are awesome. They're thick enough so that cars don't float. Remember that in '04 and '06!

John

sparky15
September 17th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I'll take the float over them going sideways through intersections in the Mac version.

maverick87
September 18th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks to all for the responses... I just did not want to re-do all the track work I had on a custom layout that is a copy of a real model rail road layout I have under construction. It's just fun to see what my real model will function like when it's done. Thanks again to all!