PDA

View Full Version : Save

funnnyfarm
September 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM
What is the best way to save assets to download to a new TS 12 on a new computer? By "Archiving" the assets or saving the assets to "Save to CDP"? Or is there a different and better way? So I'll never loose them. Thanks funnnyfarm

Scottbe8
September 13th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I never understood the purpose of the "Archive" feature. But my advice is the same as anyone else's: copy the Userdata folder over to the new computer. Once you've got Trainz up and running there, go to Content Manager and import the copied Userdata folder.

Another piece of advice is to install Trainz on an external hard drive. That way, the software will be portable.

JCitron
September 13th, 2013, 08:25 PM
There are two ways of doing this with each way having advantages and disadvantages.

1) Copy the complete Trainz install to a backup device such as an external hard drive as a USB stick would probably be too slow and to small. Then recopy this backup to your new system's hard drive.

The disadvantage of this method is you'll have to associate CDP files with Content Manager and recreate short-cuts to Trainz for your access to the program. The advantage though is you are up and running fairly quickly

2) Alternative is to install and bring the base install up to the latest versions then import your content from your backup device from your Userdata folder in the old version.

This method can take a very long time, but your shortcuts will be all setup and it may also cleanup some goofy things if you are having trouble with your older Trainz install.

I have done both over the years and both with successful results.

John