PDA

View Full Version : Free-form texture surface

PortlandBill
September 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Is it possible to make a 2d (or is 3d) spline surface that will accept any texture? I have in mind something with a spline point at each corner that would be height adjustable so that as you moved the spline points the surface would stretch like a rubber sheet. You would be able to do all the operations on this surface that you can with a normal spline. For example add or remove spline points and smooth between points. Also if you place to splines next to each other they would attach together unless you press shift.
I can see many applications for such a surface particularly where there problems producing the specific shape required from the baseboard:

you could for example more closely mould a hill or mountain to a precise shape;
you could produce cuttings that more closely represent real life rather than the canyons that smoothing track produces;
you could use the surface as a mask to cover parts of the ground while you precisely cover the areas you need with a specific texture;
you could produce specific shapes matched to the surface textures of your ground cover to cover the hole left by dig hole around tunnels or turntables;
there are walls available now with a fixed texture surface, how much better would they be if they could take the texture you want to use where you want put it?
you could produce a surface that is not necessarily level but flat to run a yard over this particular one I always have problems with.

These are some of the uses that come to mind. I can imagine that if you are not careful there are potentially weird shapes that can be formed with fitting mathematical surfaces together. I am not a content creator but I can imagine that this is not a simple piece of content to create. I am not even sure that it is possible to create a surface that the user can define the surface texture.
If a content creator thinks this can be done can I be a gimme pig and ask for it? Is this a good idea or am I being unreasonable in thinking that such an object would be useful?

justinroth
September 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I think it's a good idea..sort of like how a gecko script works.