PDA

View Full Version : I only got one nerve left . . .

davesnow
July 24th, 2013, 01:35 AM
. . . and there's some new kids on here who are about to get on it.

I like enthusiastic Trainz lovers/fans just like the next guy--- but there are some newbies who have started posting on these forums lately who really need to calm down. Sheesh--- give it a rest and start thinking (or doing a search) before starting a new thread.

You know who you are.

Cheers, :)

Dave Snow

n8phu
July 24th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Hallelujah and pass the Dynamite......

dej
July 24th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Finally Someone Speaks Up!!!

. . . and there's some new kids on here who are about to get on it.

I like enthusiastic Trainz lovers/fans just like the next guy--- but there are some newbies who have started posting on these forums lately who really need to calm down. Sheesh--- give it a rest and start thinking (or doing a search) before starting a new thread.

You know who you are.

Cheers, :)

Dave Snow

xcrossi
July 24th, 2013, 05:00 AM
My meds help

nicky9499
July 24th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Ignore button works.
But U16 subforum would be a long term solution.

boc61
July 24th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Ignore button works.
But U16 subforum would be a long term solution.

What are you going to do, check everyone's ID at the door? It can get tiresome at times, but I just chuckle and move on for the most part. It would help if the forum search was a bit more efficient. By the time i'm done filtering, I usually forgot what I was looking for.

JackieG
July 24th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Thank you for saying something davesnow, I know I was a little bit of a gimmie pig when I first joined, but I learned acting that way is NOT going to get u anything.

justinroth
July 24th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Can I use paintshed to reskin that nerve?

H222
July 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Only if that nerve is the right design for it. Which it probably isn't

jadebullet
July 24th, 2013, 08:57 AM
We need an update to that nerve, it is looking a bit dated and it is far from prototypical. I demand that someone make one, and it better be freeware.

boleyd
July 24th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I agree that some people still type without thought but use emotion to create their posts. They eventually learn that you need to read other posts to get a flavor of the forums messages. There are, of course, those on the fringes who demand service and are in an age group where you would think that behavior has worn off. If you don't see that guy here you will on the freeway gesturing with less than all of their fingers and so close that you can see their evil expression in your mirror.

UP5521
July 24th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I agree, when I first got here, there was a time when I did make a lot of enemies with the demand for content instead of me making things that I would like to have, then the worse part is arguing which had me on uneven terms with several other members and that made me look very sad, the posting without thinking is another problem I have, but now, I did not act like I did when I first came here, I saw what I have done wrong and the consequences that goes with it and have changed for the great of good , now, if I had a chance to turn back the clock and gained what the others had said to me now, that it is a wise decision to think before you post, and trust me when I say this, I have been on the wrong end of that several times and don't want to wind up like that again oh and one more thing, hold on to that nerve Dave!

metalangel
July 24th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Maybe if you scream loud enough, someone will make you some new nerves?

nicky9499
July 24th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Those new nerves had better be freeware, or else...

nfitzsimmons
July 24th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Those new nerves had better be freeware, or else...
And they probably won't work after the next patch.

enginewhistle
July 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I sure hope they'll be cascade green.

prre6
July 24th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hey hey guys come on now. Look, I'm just as tired of it, but we all used to be newbies here. Give 'em time and they'll learn. It's called growing pains, and

everyone had 'em. 'Yall aint the warmest community anyway. Hell I remember when I joined when I was 13. I made some enemies because I didn't understand

a lot (search for content, PM instead of starting a thread, etc...) I learned quickly and no one knew after a while that I was and still am a kid (17 to be exact.)

Agreed they need to learn, but time will do it (some more than others.) So don't make a hate thread around it. Everyone learns the hard way once ok? Don't take

out the frustration here; correct them nicely (nicer than 'yall did to me) and move on and they will follow. We don't need another hate thread where everyone

vents on some innocent kids who have no idea what they are doing.

bentrain14
July 24th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Hallelujah and pass the Dynamite......
*Gets the dynamite* Drops dynamite* "EVERYBODY RUN!!!!!!!!" Dynamite explodes next to newly painted bnsf sd70ace. me: dies

j_maybury
July 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM
WHY DO THESE NEW NERVES HAVE MISSING DEPENDENCEYS ???????????? I'M MISSING A BRAIN GRRRRRRRR!

n8phu
July 24th, 2013, 03:41 PM
What brand of candles are those?

Dyn-a-mitay brand....

Oh sh........

Drops dyn-a-mitay candle in box of replacement nerves.......

Might want to start running.........

wkwood
July 24th, 2013, 03:46 PM
We need an update to that nerve, it is looking a bit dated and it is far from prototypical. I demand that someone make one, and it better be freeware.

We no longer accept nerves older than version 2.9 also you must include a thumbnail.

justinroth
July 24th, 2013, 05:44 PM
With or without the scooter stick?

captainkman
July 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM
And if you're going to model those nerves yourself, don't do it in Sketchup without putting it in Blender or another modelling program to reduce polys before releasing it.

Zeldaboy14
July 24th, 2013, 06:24 PM
And why would that be? To LOW Resolution?

slabay
July 24th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I've reskinned the nerve, but it is telling me it is not a power of 2????

KingConrail76
July 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM
We no longer accept nerves older than version 2.9 also you must include a thumbnail.

Don't forget that those nerves must also be based on a childrens television program, be it new or 3 decades old.

captainkman
July 24th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I've reskinned the nerve, but it is telling me it is not a power of 2????
And now the texture.txt file is missing. :(

Scottbe8
July 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I'm having trouble with a few of the attachment points. a.spinalcord isn't in the mesh at all.

wkwood
July 24th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Let me put a comment in on that in the config file to fix that later... Oh sorry, can't help.

prre6
July 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Hey guys can anyone help me with this error: ! Commodity "Patience" is missing or corrupt, please try again. :wave:

wkwood
July 24th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Hey guys can anyone help me with this error: ! Commodity "Patience" is missing or corrupt, please try again. :wave:

Humm, no actually let me fire up my Steam locomotive and run over to Murchison and get the reference manual.. Wait, no boiler pressure.. can't help. :o

wkwood
July 24th, 2013, 10:31 PM
WHY DO THESE NEW NERVES HAVE MISSING DEPENDENCEYS ???????????? I'M MISSING A BRAIN GRRRRRRRR!

You can find them on Jointed Rail for $50.. :D

illinoiscentral
July 25th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Dave, you have my respect for speaking up. I genuinely appreciate that in a forum member. There has been a flood of new members, which is not a horrible thing, but they have been spamming this forum full of useless garbage. No, I am not poking jabs at their screenshots or content (or am I? :o), but moreso, pointing out all the silly, un-needed comments that are being posted in threads pretty much daily right now. A flood of threads asking you what video you watched on YouTube today, what train you like best, what did you eat last night, does your cat take a crap regularly...........etc. Look, we all love getting to know eachother, I guess, but seriously. This forum should have some protocol, and with some of us, it does. Here's a few of them. When someone has a thread, like Mr. Snow, where they offers their creations and update you on their progress...please have some "freaking" common courtesy. These assets are time consuming, frustrating and difficult to create. He releases them FREE to you. By the way, to that person on here that makes it so clear that they want freeware and have no respect for those who charge for their work via your signature banner, please check yourself. You know who you are, but it'd be against the CoC for me to call you out any more directly. Furthermore, and not to mention, dealing with uploading the content is time consuming and frustrating as well. I am not simply speaking in defense of Mr. Snow, but for many creators...including some with rather big names and well know services. Yes, even the greats at Jointed Rail are not swimming in money. Their freeware offerings are dips in their personal money and time as well. Don't even tell me none of you people are complacent on their threads. I have seen it before and its disgusting. Stop asking for more freeware. You'll get it when you do. Point next, in respect to various threads on here. If you have nothing constructive or even mildly entertaining to say, please don't say it. Why, you may ask. Because when a few forumers who are actually engaged in a conversation on said thread are constantly interrupted with silly comments, it gets annoying. Sure, no rule against it, but its courtesy. Next up, content. Have some common sense, would you? Just today I saw a thread where someone was posting something they had "questionably" acquired. If you have any doubts about the content you are using, don't use it and please do not post it here. Perhaps the creator did kindly give you a BETA product that was still in development, that's great. That doesn't mean you need to post it everywhere for the express purpose of showing off. Look what you have! No one cares, except the people wanting to know when it will be released as FREEWARE! Something else that peeves me, please don't flood the screenshots forum with the SAME screenshot of a steam engine and overly high mountains over and over. Please shake it up, I consider that spamming. I understand I'm not a moderator, so I have no control. I'm just exercising my right to post how I feel. Anyway, I feel the main sentiment Dave had was the constant unappreciation and begging on announcement posts, and I don't blame him. Please kids, check yourself and have some respect. BTW I apologize for not being grammatically correct and using paragraphs, but for some reason I can not format my posts anymore...... Cheers, Woody

nicky9499
July 25th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Dave, you have my respect for speaking up. I genuinely appreciate that in a forum member. There has been a flood of new members, which is not a horrible thing, but they have been spamming this forum full of useless garbage. No, I am not poking jabs at their screenshots or content (or am I? :o), but moreso, pointing out all the silly, un-needed comments that are being posted in threads pretty much daily right now. A flood of threads asking you what video you watched on YouTube today, what train you like best, what did you eat last night, does your cat take a crap regularly...........etc. Look, we all love getting to know eachother, I guess, but seriously. This forum should have some protocol, and with some of us, it does. Here's a few of them.

When someone has a thread, like Mr. Snow, where they offers their creations and update you on their progress...please have some "freaking" common courtesy. These assets are time consuming, frustrating and difficult to create. He releases them FREE to you. By the way, to that person on here that makes it so clear that they want freeware and have no respect for those who charge for their work via your signature banner, please check yourself. You know who you are, but it'd be against the CoC for me to call you out any more directly. Furthermore, and not to mention, dealing with uploading the content is time consuming and frustrating as well. I am not simply speaking in defense of Mr. Snow, but for many creators...including some with rather big names and well know services. Yes, even the greats at Jointed Rail are not swimming in money. Their freeware offerings are dips in their personal money and time as well. Don't even tell me none of you people are complacent on their threads. I have seen it before and its disgusting. Stop asking for more freeware. You'll get it when you do.

Point next, in respect to various threads on here. If you have nothing constructive or even mildly entertaining to say, please don't say it. Why, you may ask. Because when a few forumers who are actually engaged in a conversation on said thread are constantly interrupted with silly comments, it gets annoying. Sure, no rule against it, but its courtesy.

Next up, content. Have some common sense, would you? Just today I saw a thread where someone was posting something they had "questionably" acquired. If you have any doubts about the content you are using, don't use it and please do not post it here. Perhaps the creator did kindly give you a BETA product that was still in development, that's great. That doesn't mean you need to post it everywhere for the express purpose of showing off. Look what you have! No one cares, except the people wanting to know when it will be released as FREEWARE!

Something else that peeves me, please don't flood the screenshots forum with the SAME screenshot of a steam engine and overly high mountains over and over. Please shake it up, I consider that spamming. I understand I'm not a moderator, so I have no control. I'm just exercising my right to post how I feel. Anyway, I feel the main sentiment Dave had was the constant unappreciation and begging on announcement posts, and I don't blame him. Please kids, check yourself and have some respect.

BTW I apologize for not being grammatically correct and using paragraphs, but for some reason I can not format my posts anymore...... Cheers, Woody

Did you a favor. Good post Woody, I completely agree with you but was never quite bold enough to lay it out.

opus722
July 25th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Trainz is really lucky to not only have freeware creators, but also droves of them with pretty good, sometimes payware quality, skills. Every time I see that signature denouncing payware I have to think about Railworks and how the few freeware items out there are usually reskins of, or otherwise dependent upon, a payware item. I'm always afraid that Trainz will turn into that if creators become fed up with demands and an overall lack of appreciation. Honestly, I never used the ignore button until about a month or two ago. Now it seems like I need to add a person a day to that list because they became overwhelming and flat out irritating. I guess I'm not so jaded yet as to find screenshots in a pre-existing thread over the top, but the piles of new threads like "post your pictures of 4-axle GE products in states beginning with N between the years of 1968 and 1970 during a hurricane" are getting under my skin. Ok, so they aren't that specific, but my point remains. Then these threads get no responses and the thread starter acts as if they have been personally insulted. On a semi-related note, and this has been around for a while, it is annoying when screenshot threads are started with no screenshots and only an IOU-esque note of "I'll post shots tomorrow when I take them" is there.

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Trainz is really lucky to not only have freeware creators, but also droves of them with pretty good, sometimes payware quality, skills. Every time I see that signature denouncing payware I have to think about Railworks and how the few freeware items out there are usually reskins of, or otherwise dependent upon, a payware item. I'm always afraid that Trainz will turn into that if creators become fed up with demands and an overall lack of appreciation. Honestly, I never used the ignore button until about a month or two ago. Now it seems like I need to add a person a day to that list because they became overwhelming and flat out irritating. I guess I'm not so jaded yet as to find screenshots in a pre-existing thread over the top, but the piles of new threads like "post your pictures of 4-axle GE products in states beginning with N between the years of 1968 and 1970 during a hurricane" are getting under my skin. Ok, so they aren't that specific, but my point remains. Then these threads get no responses and the thread starter acts as if they have been personally insulted. On a semi-related note, and this has been around for a while, it is annoying when screenshot threads are started with no screenshots and only an IOU-esque note of "I'll post shots tomorrow when I take them" is there.

You better not be referring to me with what you said there.

boc61
July 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I blame it all on Facebook and Twitter.

And on Al Gore for inventing the Internets.

H222
July 25th, 2013, 07:55 AM
You better not be referring to me with what you said there.

There are plenty of new n00bs attacking the forums. You're one of them

leksie
July 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM
There must become new newbees i think becouse most of us are getting older but ...........................................they have to follow the rules of the forum .
Not make for every question a new topic and learning to read (search) old topics with the same subject.

I think........................

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 08:31 AM
There are plenty of new n00bs attacking the forums. You're one of them

And since when have i been a noob? The first Trainz simulator i played was the demo, so what else would you expect? Read my signature. It says it all right there. And the one i have now is different then the old 2006 demo. And at least i have the full retail game, like most of us on these forums.

AMTRAKwannabe
July 25th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Don't get a flame war going, do we really need another closed thread? No.

@Zeldaboy14 You know there were versions of Trainz before 2009, right?

-Trainz:
Community edition
Retail edition
Ultimate collection

-TRS2004

-TRS2006:
Driver
TRS2007(?)
Classics(1-3)
The complete collection

-TS2009

-TS2010-Engineers edition

-Trainz Driver

-TS12

justinroth
July 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM
This is a waste of time, shouldn't we be driving? or building? or creating? come on now.

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Yes, i do know that, and i'm not wanting any flame war to start. Don't need another thing to worry about, as i already have 1 infraction on this account. And I've seen countless videos on YouTube of Trainz 2004. And I heard of Trainz 2006 in 2009, didn't know there was a retail Trainz 2009 out there in 2009. And I played Trainz 2006 demo.

boleyd
July 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM
The Ignore Button has found a place in my heart. All the messages exchanging less than amusing remarks about nerves are an example of needing to post but with nothing to say. At least they allowed me to expand my list.

PS: Dave I really like your stuff. It is automatically downloaded. So thanks for the "stuff" and thanks for hopefully restoring adult commentary. The few who cannot ever become adults will make the list.

metalangel
July 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM
How well does the ignore function work here? I've been to places where it blocks someone's posts but then you can still read them when someone else quotes them...

shaneturner12
July 25th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I've been debating whether to reply to this or not and have decided to, hopefully to help calm things down before the thread gets locked.

I've also noticed quite a bit of problems over the last couple of weeks that can be attributed to new users. Whilst I can understand that they are new, it is also important to politely show them the right way of doing things when it comes to this forum (which I quite often end up trying to help in that area).

On a slightly unrelated note, I've also noticed an increase of new users without registered serial numbers - not sure if this is related or not, although I normally politely tell them how to register their serial number with N3V.

Just my 2 cents worth on this topic.

Shane

P.S. Dave Snow - coincidentally, I do have a few of your assets installed in my TS12 SP1 installation, and I do make good use of them.

boc61
July 25th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Remember, we were all young once, and enthusiastic about something. If there was something like Trainz, not to mention the internet or computers when I was a Tyco Tyke, I'd probably be a babbling idiot too.

We should welcome the young ones, guide them gently but firmly, as they are the future of Trainz. We should set the example for them here, to do otherwise would make us no better than they are.

That being said, Zeldaboy (I'm not even going to ask about the origin of that name, it conjures up bizarre imagery)...relax and enjoy Trainz. Think before posting something, forum regulars don't like a lot of useless repetitive posts. I know Search isn't that great, but try it. Being new and young entitles you to a few "Get out of Jail Free" cards. Don't use them all up at once. Most of all, as Mick Jagger said: "You can't always get what you want."

ETA: Dave is a wonderful contributor to the Trainz Community, I pretty much have DES as one of my search filters. I thank you for your work, and as a fellow veteran, for your service as well.

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks Boc61, and I thought of the name, Zeldaboy back when I started webkinz, only then, i was known as Zeldaboy07. You can find me still on Webkinz, using the same old username, and even Club penguin... But's that's another story. And I also like Zelda games alot also.

boc61
July 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks Boc61, and I thought of the name, Zeldaboy back when I started webkinz, only then, i was known as Zeldaboy07. You can find me still on Webkinz, using the same old username, and even Club penguin... But's that's another story. And I also like Zelda games alot also.

Having no idea what any of that means I will just say you are welcome....and no need to explain.

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Ok, thanks again!

wkwood
July 25th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Having no idea what any of that means I will just say you are welcome....and no need to explain.

:hehe: You're getting old..

nicky9499
July 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
How well does the ignore function work here? I've been to places where it blocks someone's posts but then you can still read them when someone else quotes them...

Go to user's profile page, hit the ignore button. However, when quoted, the text now "belongs" to the the user who quoted it and hence you'll see that. It's the same across all sorts of forums I've come across.

Zelda, nobody really cares since which version you've been playing. You could've started with Trainz from 1.3 but if the exhibited behavior is not mature, it's very hard for people to take you seriously.

nicky9499
July 25th, 2013, 11:46 AM
http://www.languagevalue.uji.es/public/journals/1/pageHeaderTitleImage_en_US.png

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM
WHAT!? Fine then...

leksie
July 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Zeldaboy14 , you will become an icon of Trainz !!..............................Did i say dat?

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Really! Thanks!... Wait, what does that mean?

nathanmallard
July 25th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Really! Thanks!... Wait, what does that mean? http://www.troll.me/images/rainbow-spongebob/sarcasm.jpg The answer to your question Zeldaboy14.

Zeldaboy14
July 25th, 2013, 12:48 PM
shoot, and i thought I was starting to become "Liked" with the trainz community...

JCitron
July 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I've been debating whether to reply to this or not and have decided to, hopefully to help calm things down before the thread gets locked.

I've also noticed quite a bit of problems over the last couple of weeks that can be attributed to new users. Whilst I can understand that they are new, it is also important to politely show them the right way of doing things when it comes to this forum (which I quite often end up trying to help in that area).

On a slightly unrelated note, I've also noticed an increase of new users without registered serial numbers - not sure if this is related or not, although I normally politely tell them how to register their serial number with N3V.

Just my 2 cents worth on this topic.

Shane

P.S. Dave Snow - coincidentally, I do have a few of your assets installed in my TS12 SP1 installation, and I do make good use of them.

I've noticed the above as well, Shane.

I have this thread on my "watch" list so I can keep an eye out for nastiness.

John

shaneturner12
July 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Good idea, as it looks like it could turn nasty (although I hope not)...

Shane

rickf77
July 25th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Why don't you just close it? This "kid" just wants people to pay attention to him/her. I can see the day coming when mature, serious folks are going to give up coming here.

Cheers...Rick

JCitron
July 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Why don't you just close it? This "kid" just wants people to pay attention to him/her. I can see the day coming when mature, serious folks are going to give up coming here.

Cheers...Rick

Howdy, Rick,

We're not going to give in that easily. :)

Dave has brought up an excellent point and I'm letting the posts fly around a bit before they need to be swatted.

John

nicky9499
July 25th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Thank goodness you feel that way John, the last thing we want is for the Auran forums to become like Train-Sim, where it is run like a dictatorship. These are actual sig pics of actual mods over there. Shows alot about their attitude. *shudders*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/BNSF733/Train-sim/Kenborgchieftssiggy.jpg
http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic57099_2.gif

IlfaGoods
July 25th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I have to say I hope the thread doesn't become locked, it's been both a good thread because it says what a lot of people, myself included, have been thinking, and, more to the point, it's been funny.

Some of us learn by getting kind and gentle help, but others, (and I've been one of them), learn by trying things and making mistakes. I don't know which of those is the better way, I just know not everybody fits into the same mould.

davesnow
July 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I didn't mean to start anything "nasty". I just want some of the new youngun's to calm down, use good judgement, and try to act here with a little maturity.

Heavens, we know we NEED new people here all the time. I surely wouldn't want to see Trainz fold. Too many good people (creators and otherwise) have left Trainz because of problems here and there. So we need new people to join us and have fun. That's the main thing I hope others are here for... to HAVE FUN. Isn't that the real name of the game? Isn't that what we are all searching for? A place where we can have fun?

But anyhow, I didn't intend for this thread, or any threads I start, to become "nasty" and turn potential good people off to Trainz. I remember when I was a new guy here (back before the Forum crash of 2006) and I asked some pretty idiotic questions and started a few too-crtitcal threads (anyone remember my pre-forum-crash thread about all the poorly made routes on the DLS? Unfortunately, I fear I made a few people really upset with that one...). But I matured and learned and "calmed down" and figured out what is good for Trainz and what is a no-no. I guess most of us went down that track, eh?

Cheers,

Dave

prre6
July 25th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Agreed and could have been said better myself. I was concerned that this would start a flame war.

The unfortunate thing is there is no real way to correct the issue. We have two choices as I see it:

1. Let them learn the hard way once or twice and give it time

2. Ban them. This wouldn't necessarily work because different e-mails can be used anyway. Forum discipline does need some maintenance.

But really, with new guys you just need to understand they don't understand. Now occasionally you'll get certain users who don't mature (insert user with a Dreyfuss Hudson icon here) but that is rare from what I know here. I already got 2 guys under my wing and there are in good control and understand what is good/bad/ugly Betty and etc. The sense I get from the new guys is that they are over-creative people, good content creators by the way, who just want some attention. There are old cliques here that are exclusive I will say that, and it caused even me to outcry a few times when I was new. I will say that once you understand where you stand in the political system here, you calm down quickly.

In short, these guys have a lot of potential to provide a new insight for us and some new ways of discussing how we operate here and in trainz. Patience is key though, we must remember that.

P.S. Davidsnow, I knew you didn't mean anything nasty; you never start a thread like this or vent this way. We thank you for providing a place for discussion (I would say bringing it to our attention, but I think we all knew about it. :hehe:)

shaneturner12
July 25th, 2013, 03:31 PM
That makes sense - I've also been helping certain users to stay on the right track as well.

Shane

prre6
July 25th, 2013, 03:31 PM
In addition to what I wrote about, I need all the younger guys to promise me something: THINK BEFORE YOU POST. All us older guys will (try to) be patient with you, but we need 'yall younger guys to listen and correct. We have a set way of doing things here and we will welcome you if you accept our ways of doing things. That means no arguments (I saw one earlier here in this thread) no demands, asking where you got this, etc ok? You will get more attention paid to you if you make good content, make it free :hehe:, post smartly, and/or play your part here on the forum. I we can get a mutual agreement to disagree and learn from eachother all these issues will go away form it. The two n00bs I know even agreed this whole situation is stupid and they are in your class of user.

prre6
July 25th, 2013, 03:33 PM
That makes sense - I've also been helping certain users to stay on the right track as well.

Shane

Good good good. I know they will be fine; everyone here ran out of: KUID:<PATIENCE> is all that happened. Speaking of which can anyone supply me that location? I still haven't found it.

dragonharh
July 25th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Dave you know I code say alot but I wont even get started My nerves with trainz forums are shot and you covered most of the reasons I also have to agree with you I understand the feeling far too well.

Its not just the younger ones its some of the older ones as well and whats sad is that they know better too.
To Be blunt I given up on people here.

KingConrail76
July 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM
...SNIP...
...SNIP...
Shane

My biggest frustration is when you DO try to explain/help/educate/guide someone, and they turn around with "NO, nvm, OMG! I Know, stop posting in this thread!!"
--sometimes it takes a swift kick in the pants to get through...

prre6
July 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM
...To Be blunt I given up on people here...

I see. Certain older ones yeah but (to me and others who share this opinion) two things are tearing this forum up:

1. Entangling alliances and old cliques that exclude new users,

2. Newbies who have no idea what they are doing (includes gimmie-pigs.)

People here mob around a single post for attention a lot, this thread is by far the best example of that, and most of the time they get pad-locked. I hope this one doesn't. This is healthy discussion here, and I think we need a thread like this, but people, no. THE PERSON has to be open to changing. Until the person changes and becomes open to a new wave of others, you get rifts in groups. That simple.

dragonharh
July 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I see. Certain older ones yeah but (to me and others who share this opinion) two things are tearing this forum up:

1. Entangling alliances and old cliques that exclude new users,

2. Newbies who have no idea what they are doing (includes gimmie-pigs.)

People here mob around a single post for attention a lot, this thread is by far the best example of that, and most of the time they get pad-locked. I hope this one doesn't. This is healthy discussion here, and I think we need a thread like this, but people, no. THE PERSON has to be open to changing. Until the person changes and becomes open to a new wave of others, you get rifts in groups. That simple.

Ya I hate to say it but your right I agree on that you just hit the nail on the head.

GeorgeCW
July 25th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Jus "Ignore this post", "it gets on my nerves". Sorry I couldn't resist! George

AMTRAKwannabe
July 25th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I wonder about some of these newbies...

unable to add any commodities to the rolling stock, ideas? also what are these for?, <kuid2:82412:20113:1>
Download Station: <kuid:160048:1067>
Download Station: <kuid:206307:100096>
Download Station: <kuid:206307:100099>
Download Station: <kuid:206307:100112>
Download Station: <kuid:206307:100144>
Download Station: <kuid:206307:100145>
{continued like for 30 more assets all starting with "Download Station:​"}

thanks

Tami1
July 25th, 2013, 10:27 PM
What are you going to do, check everyone's ID at the door? It can get tiresome at times, but I just chuckle and move on for the most part. It would help if the forum search was a bit more efficient. By the time i'm done filtering, I usually forgot what I was looking for.

Absolutely correct boc61! The forum search is for the most part useless, even advanced search. 95% of the time I get a list of posts that have NOTHING to do with what I'm looking for.

IlfaGoods
July 26th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I have a thought: there seems to have been an increase in this need to vent since the spate of 2012 service packs, I wonder if this isn't just a case of frazzled nerves all round following the spate of "It's broke, take 12 hours, chokes me broadband...." threads. Plus, it's sweltering here in the Northern hemisphere, that doesn't help when you read something and instantly disagree with it :)

clam1952
July 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Absolutely correct boc61! The forum search is for the most part useless, even advanced search. 95% of the time I get a list of posts that have NOTHING to do with what I'm looking for.

Try this use Google, search for site:forums.auran.com whatever you are looking for. I bookmarked the site:forums.auran.com bit, saves time.

Link that will do the job http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aforums.auran.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=YlV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:forums.auran.com&oq=site:forums.auran.com+clam1952&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.2...0.0.1.71318.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0 .0.2d7JoskXGm8&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1422&bih=683&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

boleyd
July 27th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I've noticed the above as well, Shane.

I have this thread on my "watch" list so I can keep an eye out for nastiness.

John

Ridiculous should be your criteria. This babble is useless. I am ashamed I even opened the thread. Goofy back and forth amongst juveniles is the stuff for Social Media not a train forum. Please clean this up.

JCitron
July 27th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Ridiculous should be your criteria. This babble is useless. I am ashamed I even opened the thread. Goofy back and forth amongst juveniles is the stuff for Social Media not a train forum. Please clean this up.

I'll let the thread fester a bit more. There have been a few good tidbits here and there.

It must be the heat and people trapped inside that's got these threads going. :)

John

Zeldaboy14
July 27th, 2013, 12:20 PM
really! Like yesterday with the thread I posted! The person who didn't have a serial key registered just bugged us until we were mad and he also started the flame war!

AMTRAKwannabe
July 27th, 2013, 12:35 PM
You know most of the people who have commented in this thread are older than 20, right?

KingConrail76
July 27th, 2013, 12:37 PM
really! Like yesterday with the thread I posted! The person who didn't have a serial key registered just bugged us until we were mad and he also started the flame war!

Just a thought, but maybe don't POST so much....it takes two to tango, as they say.

KingConrail76
July 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM
For those of us in the 40~70 age group, 20 is still a "kid". Trust me, you'll understand in another 20 years.

Zeldaboy14
July 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Just a thought, but maybe don't POST so much....it takes two to tango, as they say.
If i didn't post anything, probably something similar would have happen on a good post and then that good post would of been locked instead.

rickf77
July 27th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Thank you King! I thought it was just me!

Cheers....Rick

Zeldaboy14
July 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Well, it's better to know more then less!

KingConrail76
July 27th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Please see this post:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?104032-Why-the-flame-wars-(And-just-to-state-this-again-No-Flame-Wars-here-please)&p=1181574#post1181574

slabay
July 27th, 2013, 09:24 PM

I'll have to admit that I'm responsible for my share of the "senseless babble" in this thread- I'm 44- I chimed in with what I did because there were quite a few of my fellow over-aged juveniles having a bit of fun. Sorry for having a little fun in a no-fun zone. :(

haddock56
July 27th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I'll have to admit that I'm responsible for my share of the "senseless babble" in this thread- I'm 44- I chimed in with what I did because there were quite a few of my fellow over-aged juveniles having a bit of fun. Sorry for having a little fun in a no-fun zone. :(

No need to think like that Scott, everyone's allowed some fun no matter how old they are. I'm only 20 and I've been responsible for some of the babble on the forums (a few posts in the RRMods thread thingy, PLEASE no flame wars, I don't need that powder keg opened again) so a healthy dose of good clean fun isn't something to squash out. Need I mention the "Ignore this Post" Thread?

gg14835
July 27th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Where can I get one of these "nerves" you speak of? (they better be freeware) lol!

haddock56
July 27th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Warning.............you may want to ignore this extremely long post. http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s387/LehighValley8104/Post1_zpsd56fc54d.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/LehighValley8104/media/Post1_zpsd56fc54d.jpg.html)

prre6
July 27th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Warning.............you may want to ignore this extremely long post.

Warning: Viagra overdose!

Tami1
July 28th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Try this use Google, search for site:forums.auran.com whatever you are looking for. I bookmarked the site:forums.auran.com bit, saves time.

Link that will do the job http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aforums.auran.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=YlV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:forums.auran.com&oq=site:forums.auran.com+clam1952&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.2...0.0.1.71318.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0 .0.2d7JoskXGm8&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1422&bih=683&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

Thanks. Now maybe Ill get somewhere.

davesnow
July 28th, 2013, 01:39 AM
No need to think like that Scott, everyone's allowed some fun no matter how old they are. I'm only 20 and I've been responsible for some of the babble on the forums (a few posts in the RRMods thread thingy, PLEASE no flame wars, I don't need that powder keg opened again) so a healthy dose of good clean fun isn't something to squash out. Need I mention the "Ignore this Post" Thread?

I didn't intend for this post to turn into FUN--- but, Yes, we definitely need some FUN on these forums. Heck, there's too many stuffed shirts who just don't appreciate a little fun. Life is a banquet and there are a lot of poor souls out there starving to death.

justinroth
July 28th, 2013, 01:52 AM
well put Dave Snow

nicky9499
July 28th, 2013, 02:40 AM

Oh, you! Naughty. Took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about.

slabay
July 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Actually, no offense was taken. I should have said
Sorry for having a little fun in a no-fun zone. No, I've never read the "Ignore this post" thread..... I actually did ignore it the first time around, but saw that it ran on for quite a while. So now look what you have me reading! LOL

To quote one of my Aussie friends "They all need a cup o concrete and harden the f up." (you know who you are ;))

In all seriousness (staying in the no-fun zone), that is why I stick to myself in the content creating world. I do what I want, when I want, and how I want, and don't have any of the associated drama that comes with it. Too many cliques, attitudes, and conflict. I'm a manager at work and I have that with my crew- I have two distinct factions that I constantly have one problem or another from. I don't need to put up with that crap here too. I have my own kids, 16 & 13x2 girls, and an 11 boy. I put up with them and their immature childish fights all day. I am here to have fun. I watch all of the penny ante fights and bickering going on around here and say to myself "Really? Do we really need all of this here?" For the immature kids that can't get along with their "siblings" here at home, like I say to my own kids, "get the heck out of the house and go find someone else to play with. Go play with the neighbor kids." And I'm constantly telling them to grow a backbone because it is a big tough world out there. Maybe a little less Playstation and a little less Facebook and a little more "real" interaction with people.

Here's the trap of this community- building routes takes a LONG time. Building quality content takes a long time. Running trains takes a long time. That's why I don't have something new come out every day. I spend time with my wife and family. I enjoy being part of this community (however dysfunctional some members can be), but there is more to life than this. If your every free moment in life is the forums and Trainz to the point that you have nothing better to do with yourself than sit around and fight with everybody, I feel sorry for you. You need to GET A LIFE!

JCitron
July 28th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Actually, no offense was taken. I should have said No, I've never read the "Ignore this post" thread..... I actually did ignore it the first time around, but saw that it ran on for quite a while. So now look what you have me reading! LOL

To quote one of my Aussie friends "They all need a cup o concrete and harden the f up." (you know who you are ;))

In all seriousness (staying in the no-fun zone), that is why I stick to myself in the content creating world. I do what I want, when I want, and how I want, and don't have any of the associated drama that comes with it. Too many cliques, attitudes, and conflict. I'm a manager at work and I have that with my crew- I have two distinct factions that I constantly have one problem or another from. I don't need to put up with that crap here too. I have my own kids, 16 & 13x2 girls, and an 11 boy. I put up with them and their immature childish fights all day. I am here to have fun. I watch all of the penny ante fights and bickering going on around here and say to myself "Really? Do we really need all of this here?" For the immature kids that can't get along with their "siblings" here at home, like I say to my own kids, "get the heck out of the house and go find someone else to play with. Go play with the neighbor kids." And I'm constantly telling them to grow a backbone because it is a big tough world out there. Maybe a little less Playstation and a little less Facebook and a little more "real" interaction with people.

Here's the trap of this community- building routes takes a LONG time. Building quality content takes a long time. Running trains takes a long time. That's why I don't have something new come out every day. I spend time with my wife and family. I enjoy being part of this community (however dysfunctional some members can be), but there is more to life than this. If your every free moment in life is the forums and Trainz to the point that you have nothing better to do with yourself than sit around and fight with everybody, I feel sorry for you. You need to GET A LIFE!

Well said, Scott.

I've been telling the kids here to go out and play. They spend too much time picking on each other on the forums here. There's a lot more to life than forums, Facebook, and video games, although, that can become an all out world in its own.

I too am here to have fun as this world is my escape from the rotten things that face me every day.

John

dragonharh
July 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Well said, Scott.

I've been telling the kids here to go out and play. They spend too much time picking on each other on the forums here. There's a lot more to life than forums, Facebook, and video games, although, that can become an all out world in its own.

I too am here to have fun as this world is my escape from the rotten things that face me every day.

John

That is soo Ture I can't agree anyless

Zeldaboy14
July 28th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Actually, no offense was taken. I should have said No, I've never read the "Ignore this post" thread..... I actually did ignore it the first time around, but saw that it ran on for quite a while. So now look what you have me reading! LOL

You better not be referring to me... again.

Zeldaboy14
July 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
That is soo Ture I can't agree anyless
You misspelled True as Ture

haddock56
July 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM

One more post like that and I'll report you. Don't try and correct Dragonharh, he's had enough of this already. So unless you want to be reported, don't correct his spelling.

haddock56
July 28th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Lmao XD You had to say that didn't you!

gg14835
July 28th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Does anyone really care? just saying.

kenneth18278
July 28th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Yes, Dragonharh is an excellent creator of quality content who happens to have a problem spelling. Despite this he is a reasonable bloke who never starts a flame war when criticised, although sometimes he does have every excuse to do so.

Leave the guy alone, and appreciate his generous contributions to Trainz, and these forums.

rickf77
July 28th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah, D is a real nice fella. I've had the honour of "talking to him" on PM and email. I had a sneak peek at a local route he's been working on. We live in the same area. Boy, that route just about looks like the real thing! After seeing his work, I realized I have a whole lot more to learn when it comes to route building!

Cheers....Rick

dragonharh
July 28th, 2013, 12:43 PM
So another one to add to the list I see.

prre6
July 28th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Lmao XD You had to say that didn't you!

You should know me off these forums; I'm terrible!

JCitron
July 28th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Yes, Dragonharh is an excellent creator of quality content who happens to have a problem spelling. Despite this he is a reasonable bloke who never starts a flame war when criticised, although sometimes he does have every excuse to do so.

Leave the guy alone, and appreciate his generous contributions to Trainz, and these forums.

Yeah, D is a real nice fella. I've had the honour of "talking to him" on PM and email. I had a sneak peek at a local route he's been working on. We live in the same area. Boy, that route just about looks like the real thing! After seeing his work, I realized I have a whole lot more to learn when it comes to route building!

Cheers....Rick

This is something that we should all say. Mr. D. is really upset now with the forums and very frustrated with everything. I've been helping via PMs and hopefully things will straighten out for him at some point.

John

steamboateng
July 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Just logged on after a two and a half month absence from Trainz and these forums.
After reading this thread I think I'm gonna slip back into my hole for another month! :wave:

gg14835
July 28th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Just logged on after a two and a half month absence from Trainz and these forums.
After reading this thread I think I'm gonna slip back into my hole for another month! :wave:
Wise choice

kenneth18278
July 28th, 2013, 06:59 PM
This is something that we should all say. Mr. D. is really upset now with the forums and very frustrated with everything. I've been helping via PMs and hopefully things will straighten out for him at some point.

John

Well, I for one hope we don't lose him to the trolls. That would be a shame, he's an asset!

prre6
July 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Well, I for one hope we don't lose him to the trolls. That would be a shame, he's an asset!

Indeed! A nice freeware asset at that! :hehe:

slabay
July 28th, 2013, 08:26 PM
You better not be referring to me... again.

I don't recall mentioning any names. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Zeldaboy14
July 28th, 2013, 08:29 PM
that's what happen last time...

Mikejn1190
July 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I can understand your frustration. I have had many years in customer service and have seen or heard just about everything. A forum is not that much different, you have someone with a situation and they are looking for help. I found that sometimes just talking with them, they figure out the answer for themselves. We all have to start somewhere. I know some try to take the easy route and ask for help before doing their homework. Sometimes they try to look, but they are not really sure of what they are looking or asking for that will provide them with the correct answer..

Maybe some of the Trainz 12 veterans could take some of the new people under their wing and teach them.. I for one would love to gain the knowledge of some of the folks that have been using Trainz 12 for a while. It would help me to become a more well rounded user. I know that when I get rolling with my Trainz, I will have questions I am sure. I will do my best to look for an answer before asking.

Mike

bentrain14
July 29th, 2013, 12:31 AM
I know I'm probably the worst here. people would kill me right now. being a gimmie pig, that track issue, reskinning payware, creating useless posts, quoting all the responses, big pictures and just getting on peoples nerves in general. And people are calling me a noob. a noob to the forums yes, but to trainz, 8 years. Please guys, if im annoying you it isnt intentional, and I just want to say im sorry. And I want to especially apologize to simulatortrain and hert.

JackClare1995
July 29th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I completely agree, bentrain14. I've been using Trainz since Trainz Railway Simulator came out, with Banks Heath, Robe River Iron and that German route with the hot-air balloons and fairground rides included (the game with the BR Class 323 on the cover). I don't know when this was but it must have been 2004-ish as I was living in my old house at the time. However, only a month or two ago I only registered my serial number with Auran and downloaded things for the first time. I've hit problems with things, we all do, and I know I've probably annoyed a couple of people over the last two months but it really is unintentional and I am genuinely sorry. I just want to learn more about Trainz. It's a brilliant franchise. I also want to just say thank you to people for taking time out to help me. I don't consider myself as a newbie because I've been playing Trainz since I was 9 years old but others might due to me having basic knowledge of what 2 months ago, I would have considered advanced things.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I've upset anyone but the help that people give me is brilliant and very much appreciated.

Regards, Jack

dragonharh
July 29th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Speeking of annoying A curten some one is been posting 6 times a day and annoying the hell out of everyone I wont say who because most of you know who I'm talking about he needs to stop being a know it all I'm already at the end of my robe as it is with this kinda of foolishness!

JCitron
July 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I can understand your frustration. I have had many years in customer service and have seen or heard just about everything. A forum is not that much different, you have someone with a situation and they are looking for help. I found that sometimes just talking with them, they figure out the answer for themselves. We all have to start somewhere. I know some try to take the easy route and ask for help before doing their homework. Sometimes they try to look, but they are not really sure of what they are looking or asking for that will provide them with the correct answer..

Maybe some of the Trainz 12 veterans could take some of the new people under their wing and teach them.. I for one would love to gain the knowledge of some of the folks that have been using Trainz 12 for a while. It would help me to become a more well rounded user. I know that when I get rolling with my Trainz, I will have questions I am sure. I will do my best to look for an answer before asking.

Mike

Mike,

A sub-group within Trainz is doing just that. We're in the process of redoing the Wiki to include tutorials as well as technical information on the product. It's a long process as you know, and hopefully we'll see some fruition come out of our efforts. It's funny you should mention customer service. I too worked as a support technician and a customer administrator/order admin for a number of years. As you've said sometimes people will solve their own problems as they talk through them. I love those! :D

John

Mikejn1190
July 29th, 2013, 11:00 PM
John,

That sounds great! I look forward to reading the Wikis when they are ready as well as the other information that will be made available. Gotta love customer service :-) You and I should swap stories sometime.. I bet you have some good ones, as do I.. My favorite response to some, was "you're trying to do what!?"

haddock56
August 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM

John
I also have had the opportunity to converse with him many times and at one point was involved in helping him with the DPR upgrades. I can honestly say he's a really nice guy, and I hope things will straighten out for him too. I'd hate to see him leave Trainz, his content is quite interesting even though I've yet to run the DPR route.