PDA

View Full Version : Should JR Diversify?

nathanmallard
July 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Jointed Rail is a very, very good website with some very talented content creators, and extremely reasonable prices. However their one problem, I think, is that the payware section is more or less totally devoted to modern US diesel freight locos. There are notable exceptions such as the F40PH and the WIP P42, but apart from that, it's all US freight. I think that JR should now move away from this and do different things. Some more modern US passenger stuff like AEM-7's, Acelas, HHP-8's and Amfleets would be a great start. More steam would be nice as well, but I can't ask for too much. Perhaps some more European and Australian stuff could be offered. I once suggest they do an LNER Gresley A4 as a joke but in all seriousness they would probably gain more customers if they released that than if they released another Dash 9. I reckon (this is a personal opinion, not a fact) that around 15% to 20% of Trainz users are solely interested in modern US freight operations. That basically means it's mostly the same set of customers buying new releases. Should they actually do an A4, the entire UK Trainz community is going to want one. There are all sorts of niche interests in Trainz such as narrow gauge railways, trams/streetcars, ships and planes that JR has yet to explore. All of the examples listed could be potential bestsellers if promoted sufficiently. So what do you want JR to produce? Think different, rather than of what JR produces currently. I would quite like to see that A4 although I think is unlikely. For example, how about an NYC T Motor? They are truly unique locos, if not as good looking as the A4's ;))

hert
July 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM
So basically you dont want diversified you just want JR to make UK Steamers. JR has and is continuing to diversify. We now got early diesel and steam era stuff, Amtrak P42 is on its way. And the introduction of European electric engines. Just give it time, iam sure they will get to the UK and AUS stuff.

matruck
July 20th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I think you'll find they only create US Stuff cause that's what they are best at and understand best, Nothing would be released till it's near perfect. When modeler's who model the content your after turn up at JR then i'm sure you'll see the content your after released to a very high standard.
Mick.

opus722
July 20th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Given what I read on this forum and the quality of JR's work I assume that there is an incredible amount of research and field work that goes into every new JR release. This is especially true of pretty much everything made since the SD70MAC and SD80MAC in late 2011. Given the geographic location of their modelling team it means that modern US freight operations are the most accessible to get the accuracy that customers have come to expect. That being said, they have diversified quite a bit with some recent additions to their team. lilb's steam-era rolling stock, the SP GS-4, and future products have really expanded their catalog into a totally different direction. simulatortrain's RS1 and recently released rolling stock have started branching into 1950s to 1970s operations. Given the rarity of operational ALCO products it is really a testament to their leg work that they were able to accurately portray that model.

I can't speak for everyone, but in general people model what interests them. If someone cares nothing about UK steam they probably couldn't be bothered to model an A4 unless someone threw a huge wad of commission cash at them and even then they might not want to do it. If anything I would put my money on Australian stuff being produced if they went international.

jaymacnally
July 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM
You do know that there are a bunch of sites out there that carry a lot of Quality European and Steam Content for Trainz? You just have to Google them up or I could give you some links. I personally think the JR team are doing an exceptional job for releasing content that trainz lovers have been lacking forever. Besides JR and maybe few others are putting out high American quality content for Trainz.:D

boc61
July 20th, 2013, 10:18 PM
JR should make whatever they want to make. As artists, they know what they are capable of, where their strengths and interests lie. They are an American company, I see no reason why they "have" to make "foreign" content. If they choose to, great. But I am guessing they know what they can make keeping up with their high standards.

I am a big payware fan. I was in the 2004 days as well. I remember a lot of the JR guys from back then, and I am happy seeing how far they have come, as well as some of the other payware people like cloakedghost and the RRMods guys. They should make what they feel they should, hopefully also listening to their customers for suggestions.

I do agree that JR Amtrak would be great. I would love to see them do an entire Amtrak catalogue, all lcos and rolling stock to cover all eras. I would buy it in a heartbeat. If I bet on the right horse, I'd even commission it.

prre6
July 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I see where the opinion comes from. I asked a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away if they would ever diversify because as a young trianzer, I saw that pattern of only modern US freight develop. Now, I will say this, JR's quality if through the roof on all aspects of their content creation, but diversity is key. I recently went through the college process (US college) and I had an advantage over all other students because I did three things decently: music, academics, sport. I didn't get in to a few places because there were student who focused on one thing and became really good at it. JR is that student who is just better at making modern US freight stock. Now with the addition of lilb and simulatortrain the have expanded their resources quite a bit back in time, but just do what y'all do at JR. No one likes us 30ng'ers anyway. :hehe:

pdkoester
July 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Just so you guys know, who do you think got them starting to put good ol' GP7 and GP9 units over there? Me, not an old timer, but old enough to remember those when they were in service. I am sure they get enough input and feedback, just a matter of time before the guys creating this stuff are not overwhelmed to get on with other types of eras, etc. I will agree, it does look like most of the stuff is pretty modern, until recently.

Paul

simulatortrain
July 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
Speaking for myself here, though I expect many of the other guys would echo a lot of this. I like to create things that I see a need for, as well as things that strike me as just plain cool. Things that get requested a lot are factored in too; they have a better chance at completion if they fit at least one of the categories above. I am primarily interested in eastern US railroads, especially in the 1970s, which influences what I do to a point; however, as you are able to see from my RS1's, sometimes the east in the '70s is not what ends up getting made at all. There are other factors that explain why I did a lot of the schemes I did in particular, such as thinly represented 1950s paint schemes, availability of research material, what I feel the community would (or does) request most, and for a few of them, a desire to build a certain roadname just because it has cool details. As far as building locomotives/rolling stock that comes from outside North America, I don't feel qualified in any way to do so, because the understanding of those items just isn't where it is for US pieces. If I have a question about something on a US model, I can usually find it fairly easily on Google, because I know what it's called, or, I can figure out the likely answer based on typical US practice. It would take years, probably, and a few field trips, to study foreign prototypes to a point where I know them on the same level.

Particularly speaking to the comments about narrow gauge above, I am definitely interested in narrow gauge, but there isn't a whole lot out there that's to the same quality level as things we try to release. Not that things are necessarily bad, just that they can sometimes be a little out of place next to something that's got high resolution, baked textures. So, it just takes a little extra motivation to work on those things, because it usually means more new stuff gets made. I posted a picture of the EBT hopper elsewhere not too long ago, I can't find the shot at the moment, but that gives you a little sample from that area. That's sort of gone under the radar since because I plan on making it a part of a donationware (going to the real EBT) rolling stock pack, which isn't fully complete.