PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

AUDANTE
June 28th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I have just installed Trainz 12 (Build 46957) I am updating it and am currently 'stuck' on update from 49922 to 57720 (SP1) It has currently been 'updating' for over 2 hours now. Is this normal??

boc61
June 28th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I have just installed Trainz 12 (Build 46957) I am updating it and am currently 'stuck' on update from 49922 to 57720 (SP1) It has currently been 'updating' for over 2 hours now. Is this normal??

Yes. Don't touch it. it can take many hours for the patch to go through.

AUDANTE
June 28th, 2013, 02:27 PM
@boc61

Many thanks. Thanks for quick reply.

AUDANTE
June 29th, 2013, 03:00 AM
It has now been some 14 hours and it still shows half done! (Although it has been on overnight and computer 'sleeps' after 30 minutes!) How much longer is it likely to take?

AUDANTE
June 29th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Just about 24 hours now and nothing!! It's only an Update after all. The main program didn't take this long so there has to be a fault in the software. I have deleted the lot and Trainz 2012 Anniversary Edition is now in the trash where, I believe, it belongs. The only good thing is I got it cheap. Thank goodness I never bought at the full price! I 'returned' to Trainz after a spell away. Bad decision in this case.

oknotsen
June 29th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I suggest you do a re-install, manually patch to 49922 and leave it with that. Then you have a working game.
If on a fresh install it takes 24 hours to do the patching, then you probably have an old PC that cant handle the game to its full potential anyway.

AUDANTE
June 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM
New, top-of-the-range computer so can't blame that. Tried just installing to 49922 and I keep getting told it is out of date! That's why I tried what I did. As I have said, it simply should not take that long to update software. If it does, and there is nothing wrong with machine, then it is poor software. People moan about Microsoft but at least their Service packs install in an hour max! I have read elsewhere on this Board that it is taking an undue length of time to install SP1 for Trainz 2012. It shouldn't. Simples.

shaneturner12
June 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM
There's a good reason why Microsoft ones patch quicker - the patches are smaller. TS12 SP1 is a 1.8gb patch, which in most cases can be expected to take a while.

However, turning off antivirus software during the patching will reduce both the time taken and the chance of a failed patch.

Shane

AUDANTE
June 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the input, Shane. I did turn off Antivirus. Indeed, I turned off everything I could in 'Code Stuff Starter'. I appreciate the size (1.8Gb) but 24 hours!?

shaneturner12
June 29th, 2013, 03:08 PM
It shouldn't take that long but in extreme cases it can. Someone reported that it took them around 36 hours, but I cannot seem to find the thread.

Have you tried doing it in Windows safe mode?

Shane

boc61
June 29th, 2013, 03:39 PM
My machine is good, but it's far from cutting edge. It takes me about 4 and a half hours to do a fresh install all the way through HF 3 including reimporting content and EDR. I'm aghast when I hear it takes so much time for others. I don't blame you for getting frustrated.

Zeldaboy14
June 29th, 2013, 03:43 PM
It is usually slow, as i've also known that.

cascaderailroad
June 29th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I don't know what happens to a PC when it goes into sleep mode, during a patch ?

Perhaps you can direct your PC to not sleep ?

I once hung my mouse (taped to a piece of cardboard as a sail) draped over a window fan, so that it swayed violently, banging back and forth, in the breeze ... and my PC could not sleep.

See min 28:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn7JAE5D39o

Never cancel a patch ... it may take in excess of 12 hours overnight while you sleep, and a portion of the next day.

boc61
June 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
You can tell your computer to not sleep in the power options.

Robert2d6
June 29th, 2013, 06:01 PM
It shouldn't take that long but in extreme cases it can. Someone reported that it took them around 36 hours, but I cannot seem to find the thread.

Have you tried doing it in Windows safe mode?

Shane

36 hours to update a piece of software. Talk about bad programming, that is totally ridiculous.

shaneturner12
June 30th, 2013, 02:40 AM
It may not be bad programming. Sometimes, it's indicative of a problem with the system hardware (which may be running slower than it should be for whatever reason).

Shane

clam1952
June 30th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Looking at this from outside the box rather than constantly blaming Trainz for everything.;) This may improve things a bit or maybe not.

There are known issues with Win7 and Vista with file copying speed which may possibly have a bearing on the amount of time patching takes, especially I suspect if the Trainz install is on a different disk. Basically XP file transfer is a lot quicker than out of the box Vista or Win7.

Things can be drastically improved in Win7 by removing the tick from Remote Differential Compression from Programs and Features ( Control Panel - Turn Windows Features on or off)

And run the following commands from the command prompt

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

I did both and there is a noticeable improvement in anything that require file copying and transfers. Also improves transfers across a lan.

To restore to normal

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

H222
June 30th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Just about 24 hours now and nothing!! It's only an Update after all. The main program didn't take this long so there has to be a fault in the software. I have deleted the lot and Trainz 2012 Anniversary Edition is now in the trash where, I believe, it belongs. The only good thing is I got it cheap. Thank goodness I never bought at the full price! I 'returned' to Trainz after a spell away. Bad decision in this case.

Oh boy. LOL

36 hours to update a piece of software. Talk about bad programming, that is totally ridiculous.

Said software is probably one of the biggest ones on your hardrive. What's the size of your total TS12 folder? You have to remember, the patcher has to integrate that 1.8gb of software into that something-hundredgb folder

Jamie

eclifford
June 30th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Hi,

I have just purchased Trainz Simulator through Cult of Mac as an offer.
They have provided me with the Product Key for the game but no software.

Can anyone tell me where I can download the game without having to purchase it again

Really stuck - Thanks in advance