PDA

View Full Version : Linked turnouts

nahgallaco
May 28th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I have lost this instruction where you link two turnouts to change direction together.
Can someone please remind me of its title so I can add it to the session.
Thanks.

JCitron
May 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM
There is the junction link asset which allows you to link two junctions together so they work as a unit if this is what you're looking for.

Junction Link,<kuid:122381:10003>
Created by Mizi for 2.2 but it works fine in TS12.

John

Scottbe8
May 29th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Do you have Junction Link, <kuid:122381:10003>? If not, download it. Then add it to your route near the junctions you wish to link, edit the properties, and follow the on-screen prompts.

nahgallaco
May 29th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Thank you both very much.
Exactly what I was looking for.

puffer1
May 29th, 2013, 04:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone as tried this instead of ATLShttp://hostthenpost.org/uploads/3a4e39c85e8c8fa80aee850965c579ca.jpg I find I have no problems with it

boat
May 29th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone as tried this instead of ATLS I find I have no problems with it

Not sure how this would replace ATLS. ATLS does not switch Junctions but is for traffic and level crossing control.

The above is a different application.

Boat. :)

obirek
May 29th, 2013, 09:33 AM
The problem I had with the junction link is that after a train passes the crossover (two turnouts in pair) one of the turnout direction is not re-set to the default value. For this reason I stopped using this asset. But I would like to find out if anyone experienced similar problem.

Scottbe8
May 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM
It may be that the script only listens for an active switch and not a passive switch. The script should instead read the junction states on a regular interval (say, once a second) and compare it to the previous states as bits (0 = left, 1 = right), and if the state does not match the preset (symmetric (00 or 11) or asymmetric (10 or 01)), it should determine which junction was switched, then switch the other junction.

I take it the script degenerates for 3-way junctions (L-C-R).

obirek
May 29th, 2013, 05:54 PM
The link between the junctions does not work if one of the junction is locked by a train.

Imagine there is a crossover in main tracks between two turnouts: J1 and J2. The turnouts are linked using the junction link in synchronized mode (i.e. both turnouts are set to the same direction) and you issue driver command to diverge from the right to the left track. When train approaches turnout J1 and comes within turnout trigger radius (say, set to maximum distance of 500 meters) both junctions are set in the left direction. This is expected behavior. When end of the train passes turnout J1, the driver attempts to unlock the junction and set it to the right direction, but this attempts fails, because turnout J2 is locked and both turnouts are linked. When end of the train passes turnout J2, the driver unlocks it and junction link attempts to synchronize both turnouts. But because both turnouts are already set to left direction, the junction link does nothing. Turnouts J1 and J2 are in sync, but now they are set to diverged direction, which is not the default direction. If turnouts are protected by a signal, this signal is likely to display red and cause a signal before to display yellow. This will force the next train to drive at half speed, despite the train drives in forward direction and it should be able to maintain maximum speed permitted for the line.

I think the problem is that the junction link script does not look into the default (i.e. set in Surveyor) turnout setting when synchronizing linked junctions. A solution would be to use the method suggested by Scottbe8 above, but not to synchronize only to set both turnouts to their default setting. It would be really nice to implement such solution, as properly functioning junction link would add safety and efficiency to driving trains in AI mode. As it is now, it is more of a burden and I removed the junction link from all my routes.

JCitron
May 29th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Your thoughts on this make sense to me, obirek. Perhaps the rule could be updated to include what you want.

On another note though, I find that it's good for lines crossing over the main line where a main line splits for a branch. This keeps the AI trains taking the branch from driving through those going straight on the main.

John