PDA

View Full Version : Content Manager Screwing Up My Assets

Kris94
May 23rd, 2013, 08:39 PM
Far too often CM has labeled a lot of content I've downloaded from the DLS and JR as faulty and I had to go and view the errors in order to make them work again when there were no errors to begin with. It did that on my payware EMDX SD70ACe units. Anyone else had this issue?

frogpipe
May 23rd, 2013, 09:08 PM
It ain't nicknamed "Content Mangler" for nothing. :D

I've had it happen once or twice, and big time after the SP1 update, but not chronically.

boc61
May 23rd, 2013, 09:11 PM
It happens to me occasionally. Sometimes CM freezes up and I have to force quit. When I open it again, it shows all those faulty's and I have to revalidate everything manually. It's a pain, but no big deal I guess.

frogpipe
May 23rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
It's better then the other thing I've had it do - REALLY screw up an asset, although technically that's Content Creator Plus. You learn what NOT to do with that thing - one misplaced quote in a manual edit in notepad and BOOM....

boyerm25
May 24th, 2013, 06:15 AM
That's what it's for -- screwing up your assets.

JCitron
May 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I've had occasional issues as well, but not too often.

The errors are pointed out due to the increased error parsing. This is why a misplaced quote will cause an error just like something spelled incorrectly, or if a container is built incorrectly. With previous versions of Trainz, especially with TRS2004 and before, the Jet engine would "horse" through the errors and load the content anyway. The problem with this is there is more work to do causing major stutters, like there aren't enough already, as well as outright game crashes when the program can't figure out how to get past the errors. By making the code "cleaner" right from the get go, the program will actually be more reliable and more responsive.

Regarding the broken payware....

If you have upgraded to SP1, JR has supplied some updates to their content. The SD70 was easy to fix if there is no update for that item. The asset it refers to is missing a thumbnail, which is now a requirement in TS12 SP1 and up. Simply create a thumbnail image and put the appropriate code in the config.txt for the faulty item. You should be good to go after that.

John

BLACKWATCH
May 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
How about todays 'Updates' ?

'Commercial Coal Company' kuid2:210518:1018:5 by bendorsey (not the first of his assets with this fault).............

CM3.3 gives it as 'faulty' it expects 2 values but only has 1 in the sound file tag 'Repeat', for a creator like bendorsey, this sort of
error should never occur, is this another instance of N3V moving the goalposts & not informing the content updaters ?

This is the bit referred to, it says this line should have 2 values.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z260/trainz_album/bendorsey_zps8f402b9a.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/trainz_album/media/bendorsey_zps8f402b9a.jpg.html)

shaneturner12
May 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM
That particular fault is partially related to a change by N3V relating to TS12 SP1, which appears to allow one number instead of two.

Simply adding a comma, then repeating the number before the comma, will fix that error.

Shane

BLACKWATCH
May 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks Shane, I didn't think bendorsey would make that mistake on his own, that's
why I suggested "another instance of N3V moving the goalposts", I had figured out the fix (more luck than knowledge), but it's
nice to know that is all the problem is.

shaneturner12
May 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM
No problem. It may be worth contacting bendorsey directly if any more things like that crop up just in case it's something that he's either missed or not got as far in terms of fixing yet.

Shane

Scottbe8
May 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM
That's why you creators should take care when typing your tags. I've seen too many assets that are faulty for reasons such as "The required tag 'length' is missing, and the tag 'lenght' is invalid".

There should be a utility to repair these kinds of errors; if such a program expects 'length' and encounters 'lenght', it should automatically correct the misspelling and see if that resolves the error. Of course, it won't be any solution for human carelessness.

BLACKWATCH
May 24th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I'll leave it for now, cos I don't know if bendorsey is fixing his own stuff, or whether it's being done by a third party.
If he sees this & it is something he's missed, problem sorted, if it happens again with any of his assets, I'll fire him a pm.

(With my reputation, he might not even read a pm if it has my name on it, but that's my fault in all fairness.)

obirek
May 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM
The only working and long-term solution to this and similar problems is to force asset creators to compile their content in similar way programmers compile their source and run an exhaustive suit of tests before checking into the central repository (DLS). But even such strict procedure would not eliminate all problems and the content would get broken occasionally.