PDA

View Full Version : trainzoptions.txt not working?

dstelley
May 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Before I completely removed TS12, I backed it up.

I reinstalled, and applied all the SP's and hotpatches.

I copied back the trainzoptions.txt file.

When I run TS12 though the framerates jump all over from the mid 40s through to near 200. This causes all kinds of stuttering.

The file is in the root of the folder (Railroad Simulator)

and has the contents:
-DepthBits=24
-StencilBits=8
-Jet=bin
-cabinfov=60
-DefaultAutoMip=none
-DynamicVertexBufferSize=4194304
-DynamicIndexBufferSize=196608
-VBO
-framerate=35

Any reason why the framerate is ignored?

shaneturner12
May 22nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
If you have installed SP1, the trainzoptions.txt file must be in the UserData folder.

Shane

P.S. Some of the entries in your file above are now obsolete anyway.

boc61
May 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Could you or anyone else perhaps briefly run through what is now hardcoded in and perhaps add some recommendations as to what could be put in the file to tweak the game further?

shaneturner12
May 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
There's not much information provided by N3V regarding what is hardcoded into the game unfortunately. However I know that -VBO is obsolete and -ShowKUIDS is an in-game option.

Shane

norfolksouthern37
May 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
-cabinfov=60
-framerate=35

out of all of the original that you posted, these are the only ones you will be able to use. the others in your original file are part of the game code.

nicky9499
May 22nd, 2013, 10:23 AM
I have a little related question: I have "-noctrlrightclick" in the trainzoptions.txt in TS12 root folder (SP0) but the silly tooltip is still showing up in game. Why?

boc61
May 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I have a little related question: I have "-noctrlrightclick" in the trainzoptions.txt in TS12 root folder (SP0) but the silly tooltip is still showing up in game. Why?

Trainzoptions.txt needs to be in the User Data Folder now

boc61
May 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
-cabinfov=60
-framerate=35

out of all of the original that you posted, these are the only ones you will be able to use. the others in your original file are part of the game code.

Is setting a specific framerate recommended?

shaneturner12
May 22nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
That's the case in SP1, although I think the issue is related to the misnaming of the switch - from memory, it's '-allownoctrlrightclick'.

Shane

nicky9499
May 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
Is setting a specific framerate recommended?

It's to prevent "over-rendering" or the case of too many frames per sec which causes the graphics to "surge" on some computers. If you're seeing framerates in excess of, say, 60 (but because trains are so slow 30 is actually all you really need) then you can put a limiter number so that excess resources can be used to calculate physics, sound, etc. If your computer cannot consistently achieve x fps, setting it to x fps in trainzoptions.txt will not improve performance.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

boc61
May 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
It's to prevent "over-rendering" or the case of too many frames per sec which causes the graphics to "surge" on some computers. If you're seeing framerates in excess of, say, 60 (but because trains are so slow 30 is actually all you really need) then you can put a limiter number so that excess resources can be used to calculate physics, sound, etc. If your computer cannot consistently achieve x fps, setting it to x fps in trainzoptions.txt will not improve performance.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

OK, thanks. I am usually topping out between 40 and 50 at the most.

dstelley
May 22nd, 2013, 09:49 PM
OK, thanks. I am usually topping out between 40 and 50 at the most.

So then having a max frame rate set will help somewhat. It sounds backwards but setting a max rate of 35 will actually increase performance for you. In my case I have several areas in certain routes with many objects and the game jumps all over the place but with the limiter in place, its much much smoother. Others have mentioned in several posts that most anything over 40 or so is overkill, not needed and can drag the game down. It works wonders for me and my speeds jump from 30 up to 190.

frogpipe
May 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
It is said that the human eye can't really see much over 30fps, yet things seem more fluid the higher the FPS go. OTOH, a stable framerate, no matter what it is, is MUCH better then one that's swinging all over the place.

fran1
May 22nd, 2013, 10:59 PM

Because it's -allownoctrlrightclick

Way to late on that one.

boc61
May 23rd, 2013, 08:31 PM
Because it's -allownoctrlrightclick

Way to late on that one.

Doesn't seem to work, I put that into the file but the tooltip still shows in game.

frogpipe
May 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Tooltip? -allownoctrlright click only does this:

When you right click an asset in driver, you are presented with the menu to choose from. Normally, you have to press control while right clicking.

(As of SP1: At the moment it also causes clicks in cab view to jump your pov to the train or car, if any, that's BEHIND the controls, like a consist on a neighboring track)

boc61
May 23rd, 2013, 09:16 PM
Tooltip? -allownoctrlright click only does this:

When you right click an asset in driver, you are presented with the menu to choose from. Normally, you have to press control while right clicking.

(As of SP1: At the moment it also causes clicks in cab view to jump your pov to the train or car, if any, that's BEHIND the controls, like a consist on a neighboring track)

Oh, I thought it eliminated the hover text from showing up totally. OK.

boleyd
June 1st, 2013, 07:55 AM
GPU(Graphics Processor Unit) aka video card temperature is significantly reduced. With warmer weather my room temperature is higher. With unlimited frame-rates the GPU was at 99% for detailed areas (most are). The temperature was at 73C. Setting the Framerate to 35 drops the GPU usage to 25% and the temperature to 61C. I will miss seeing 100fps but frying a card is worse.

cascaderailroad
June 3rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Turn up the AC: http://hacknmod.com/hack/diy-pc-cooling-with-crisp-winter-air/