PDA

View Full Version : NSWGR Z25 Class - Connecting Rod Animation out of sync with speed

Falken442
May 21st, 2013, 05:31 AM
How do I fix the problem on the Z25 class where the connecting rods are really slow and the loco is going fast?

-Eno

Azervich
May 21st, 2013, 06:04 AM
in the config where it says animdist, you change it to the wheel diameter and makes sure it has direct-drive 1

Cheers.

Falken442
May 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM
in the config where it says animdist, you change it to the wheel diameter and makes sure it has direct-drive 1

Cheers.

How do I know what the wheel diameter is?

-Eno

captainkman
May 21st, 2013, 06:29 AM
This Wikipedia link says 4ft. This needs to be converted to metres and the value in metres used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_Z25_class_locomotive

Kieran.

edh6
May 21st, 2013, 06:49 AM
According to the CCG it should be the circumference of the wheel (in metres), this is of course pi times the Diameter of the wheel.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/CCG/Bogey#TAGS_AND_CONTAINERS

I'm quite interested in how this actually works, as I recently created some bogies, and completely failed to change the animdist tag from the one in the config file I used as a basis. It turns out I used the wrong value, but the bogies seem to turn at the right speed any way.

Falken442
May 21st, 2013, 07:08 AM
According to the CCG it should be the circumference of the wheel (in metres), this is of course pi times the Diameter of the wheel.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/CCG/Bogey#TAGS_AND_CONTAINERS

I'm quite interested in how this actually works, as I recently created some bogies, and completely failed to change the animdist tag from the one in the config file I used as a basis. It turns out I used the wrong value, but the bogies seem to turn at the right speed any way.

So how do I fix my problem? Does the diametre really matter?

-Eno

Bill69
May 21st, 2013, 07:16 AM
Hi edh6,

If your animdist tag is reasonably close to what it should be you will only see that it's wrong at a very slow speed. If the animdist is too big it will look like the loco is being dragged along the track, if the animdist is too small it will look like the wheels are slipping or going too fast for the speed of the loco.
The correct animddist calculated from drivers given in feet is, to use the above example 4feet, 4 x 12 = 48 inches x 25.4 = 1219.2mm x 3.142 = 3830.726 mm cirumference over 1000 = 3.830726 metres circumference. So in this case you would use 3.831 as your animdist.
You could also work out the circumference direct from the 4ft dia but I prefer to change it to mm to multiply by Pi.

Cheers,
Bill69

pcas1986
May 21st, 2013, 07:16 AM

Did you set the animation to 30FPS?
It seems to vary a little from PC to PC as well. When I made Big Bertha for Kieran, he said the animation was out but it looked fine on my PC.
The animation for drivers is reversed from real life. In real life the wheels, conrods, etc, are driven by the pistons. In my Blender animations, the wheels are "driven" by an animated lattice attached to the wheels. The conrods and pistons are constrained to "follow" the wheel lattice. It's all an illusion.

Bill69
May 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM
Did you set the animation to 30FPS?
It seems to vary a little from PC to PC as well. When I made Big Bertha for Kieran, he said the animation was out but it looked fine on my PC.
The animation for drivers is reversed from real life. In real life the wheels, conrods, etc, are driven by the pistons. In my Blender animations, the wheels are "driven" by an animated lattice attached to the wheels. The conrods and pistons are constrained to "follow" the wheel lattice. It's all an illusion.

Hi pcas1986.

The 30fps is the true speed your computer needs to run at while running Trainz. If your FPS is drastically different the bogies will not look quite right, there will be a slight differance but only noticable at slow loco speed.

Cheers,
Bill69

pcas1986
May 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Hi pcas1986.

The 30fps is the true speed your computer needs to run at while running Trainz. If your FPS is drastically different the bogies will not look quite right, there will be a slight differance but only noticable at slow loco speed.

Cheers,
Bill69The reason I mentioned it is that Blender defaults to 25fps. But maybe it's meaningless if Trainz is controlling the frame rate. i.e. maybe its only the display rate when viewing animation in Blender.