PDA

View Full Version : SP1 install issue

jadebullet
April 14th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Wouldn't you know it but I was halfway through installing SP1 when someone hit a pole and my power went out. Now the patch refuses to update the game. To make matters worse, I now can't even launch the launcher.

Also, my backup appears to have dissapeared. Is there anywhere that I could find the files to revert the game to its previous SP so I can try again. Surely Auran must have them somewhere since this is an issue that has been happening for a very long time.

WindWalkr
April 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Wouldn't you know it but I was halfway through installing SP1 when someone hit a pole and my power went out. Now the patch refuses to update the game. To make matters worse, I now can't even launch the launcher.

Also, my backup appears to have dissapeared. Is there anywhere that I could find the files to revert the game to its previous SP so I can try again. Surely Auran must have them somewhere since this is an issue that has been happening for a very long time.

Ouchy, that's bad news.

If you look inside the Trainz program folder, you'll probably see one or more backup files (eg. *.bku or similar) which contain the original versions prior to patching. For any such files, repeat the following process:

* You've got two files called "Trainz.exe" and "Trainz.exe.bku".
* Delete "Trainz.exe"
* Rename "Trainz.exe.bku" to "Trainz.exe"

You'll have to look in all subfolders except UserData.

I can't promise the above will work, but it's the first thing that I would try. Failing that, you'll need to back up your content files and reinstall the game from the original media.

chris

mcguirel
April 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
The SP1 has so much updated content, you are best to just reinstall. Go To Planet Auran and Legacy Order to download TS12 if that is what you are referring too with backup.

jadebullet
April 14th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Ugh. I don't see anything that looks like any sort of backup. Where exactly are these backup files located? I have checked within the c/progfiles/n3v/ts12 folder but I haven't found anything.

I really don't want to reinstall because 1) I have a crap ton of content so it will probably take 4 days, and 2) The last time I was forced to do such a thing the content didn't transfer over properly and I lost 90% of the content I had downloaded.(over 40 gigs)

fran1
April 14th, 2013, 09:53 AM
User data, back ups.

jadebullet
April 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I tried that, it was just content backups.

shaneturner12
April 14th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Ouchy, that's bad news.

If you look inside the Trainz program folder, you'll probably see one or more backup files (eg. *.bku or similar) which contain the original versions prior to patching. For any such files, repeat the following process:

* You've got two files called "Trainz.exe" and "Trainz.exe.bku".
* Delete "Trainz.exe"
* Rename "Trainz.exe.bku" to "Trainz.exe"

You'll have to look in all subfolders except UserData.

I can't promise the above will work, but it's the first thing that I would try. Failing that, you'll need to back up your content files and reinstall the game from the original media.

chris

Small correction Chris - they're .pbk (Dial Up Phonebook) files.

Shane

riddy19
April 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Well, what is up with this update!

I've tried with a complete original fresh install and still the update stalls half why through for the third time, I then end up with no use able program.

What I can see is within the "bin" folder a file called "difFile" keeps appearing and disappearing with different "size" figures each time it appears.

This was after it took 1.5hrs to download the update file in the first place.

Good to know there is a back up file though. Good God!! The update has deleted ALL files in the back ups (or not made one), Local and Original folders in the "Usedate" folder.

What the hell is going on N3V

Riddy19 (aka Steven Ridpath)

NICKEL
April 14th, 2013, 10:20 AM
It actually doesn't stall half way through. I has to update the 8 JA files in the builtin area. It gets to the halfway mark when it has done the first file and it still has 7 more to do. If you want to watch it do its work as the longest part is the upgrade to the JA files go to the builtin directory and watch it add .pbk (Dial Up Phonebook) files to each ja files as it modifies them. When it has done all of them it will actually patch your software.

WindWalkr
April 14th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Small correction Chris - they're .pbk (Dial Up Phonebook) files.

Yes those, thanks. (It's probably for "Patch BacKup", i guess..)

chris

riddy19
April 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
It's been 1.5hrs since SP1 started to update, so how long should it take? It still has not moved passed the half way mark either...........................

Steven

riddy19
April 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Well its been 1.5hrs now and I can see that it has add ts12a.pbk to ts12d.pbk there is no disc sound activity at all. So how much longer should I wait?

Steven

WindWalkr
April 14th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Well its been 1.5hrs now and I can see that it has add ts12a.pbk to ts12d.pbk..

If you're seeing files progressing, then just let it keep running. I've heard reports of anything from ~30 minutes, to nearly 12 hours, with about 2 hours seeming most common.

If you've got a virus checker running, you may want to consider turning it off temporarily. They have a tendency to interfere and may *really* slow things down, or even break the patch in some cases.

chris

shaneturner12
April 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM
That would make sense. They're created by one of the files added during the patch process from memory - one with a funny name).

Shane

SuperSpeedMaglev
April 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Wouldn't you know it but I was halfway through installing SP1 when someone hit a pole and my power went out.

O_O That's a bit...weird...

riddy19
April 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM
God, it has finished after 3hrs and reported 1 error, I wonder what that will be..............................

Steven

Azervich
April 14th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't you know it but I was halfway through installing SP1 when someone hit a pole and my power went out.

O_O That's a bit...weird...
It's probably some idiot attempting a power slide to show off and hit the pole, I've seen that a few times, I was almost run over by a car once as it lost control power sliding the wet road and went onto the foot path.

Last week I saw someone power sliding and almost wiped out a Parked Car, lol.

Hey all,

I did a new install on TS12, Started install about 09:30, installed both patches by 10:20, SP1 only took 30 mins to install, then a extended Data Base took 15 mins, so all up it wasn't that bad, also, Norton Anti virus doesn't affect the patching as I've never had to disable it at all during the time I've had TS09 to TS12.

Cheers.

kenneth18278
April 14th, 2013, 01:08 PM
That's encouraging, Azervich. I was planning on doing a clean and patched install and then waiting for the automatic SP1 (which I assume will be a week or so to incorporate the promised hotfix), and your post encourages me that this is the way to go, leaving my current install unmolested.

Did you have much in the way of faults with your assets, given that a new install is all built-in?

Regards,

Ken

shaneturner12
April 14th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Coincidentally, I also patched mine from a clean install as well.

Shane

norfolksouthern37
April 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Ugh. I don't see anything that looks like any sort of backup. Where exactly are these backup files located? I have checked within the c/progfiles/n3v/ts12 folder but I haven't found anything.

I really don't want to reinstall because 1) I have a crap ton of content so it will probably take 4 days, and 2) The last time I was forced to do such a thing the content didn't transfer over properly and I lost 90% of the content I had downloaded.(over 40 gigs)

even if you clean reinstall and patch back to where you were, items in your userdata folder should not be changed. even so, you can move you userdata folder someplace else if you like, install, then patch, then patch... then before you run the game, place the folder back in that location and do an extended database rebuild. all of your content should reappear.

jadebullet
April 14th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I am just going to do that. 1.5 hours remaining on the transfer of my user data folder to the external. I have way too much crap.