PDA

View Full Version : TS12 SP1 - warning to dial up users/capped internet users

shaneturner12
April 10th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Hi Trainzers,

As some of you may have seen in the Announcements forum, TS12 SP1 has been released.

However, the size of this download is 1.76GB (yes, you read that right).

This means that anyone who is still using dial-up may want to get someone with a fast broadband connection to download the file, and anyone with a capped internet connection will need to be careful that they do not go over their limit by downloading this.

Shane

April 10th, 2013, 02:14 AM
HOLY COW!! :eek:

I wonder if it can be acquired on DVD?

Bruce

oknotsen
April 10th, 2013, 02:21 AM
People that have read the announcement also have read the size of the patch, as it is mentioned directly next to the link ;).

For those that have skipped the annoucement forum, here is a link to the topic:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?100435-Trainz-12-Service-Pack-1

Auto-patch will not work yet, but will be available soon.

shaneturner12
April 10th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Indeed, but I know that some people will be unable to download this update due to the reasons stated above, or for some reason are unable to convert KB to GB (which may result in them not realising how big the patch is)

Shane

nugget2225
April 10th, 2013, 02:43 AM
if some of you are within the u.s , i am in florida, i will put the patch on a blank dvd and mail it to you, just private message me, i just cant do it for 1,000 people, but i am willing to do it for people on a really slow connection.

shaneturner12
April 10th, 2013, 02:45 AM
That may help some - I've found that the N3V server connection is really slow though (~240KB/S), so it will take anyone ages to download the file even if they have a fast connection.

Shane

oknotsen
April 10th, 2013, 03:03 AM
I had the file in about 40 minutes, which I do not consider slow for the 1.8gb.

Expect faster and slower speeds, based on location and time of day/number of people downloading the patch.

shaneturner12
April 10th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Indeed - I can see it taking a long time to install though, and I hope that people do not cancel the patch half way through.

Shane

April 10th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Well, unless it's available via DVD, I will be forgoing the patch.
1.8Gb is more than my monthly ISP account allows and I'm stuffed if I'm paying a premium for a one-off.

Bruce

mjolnir
April 10th, 2013, 04:55 AM
I'm not nugget, nor related to him, but it would seem to me that anyone taking him up on his offer might be well served to ask him for his address, and send him a blank DVD, and the price of return postage. Alternatively, most libraries in the US have a high speed connection, and if you are a patron, you can sign up for time on the Library's computer to download the file to a thumb drive, or burn a DVD. Regrettably, I have no knowledge whether, or under what terms, internet services might be available in other parts of the world.

ns

nugget2225
April 10th, 2013, 05:00 AM
I'm not nugget, nor related to him, but it would seem to me that anyone taking him up on his offer might be well served to ask him for his address, and send him a blank DVD, and the price of return postage. Alternatively, most libraries in the US have a high speed connection, and if you are a patron, you can sign up for time on the Library's computer to download the file to a thumb drive, or burn a DVD. Regrettably, I have no knowledge whether, or under what terms, internet services might be available in other parts of the world.

ns

i considered saying something about the library, down here in florida i know you can use the computers, but they dont allow you to download or insert cd's in the computers, i am sure it is difrent everywhere, most library pc's they want to keep them as secure as possible, and mainly used for web surfing, now i could be wrong, its been a couple years since i have been to one, i just happen to be lucky and be on a 100 mbps connection.