What's the most common cause for a pc stuttering,freezing up?

Not enough or Bad RAM. Or a poor video card. Computer overheating. Computer just flat out isn't powerful enough to handle the load of a hi-poly game.

Start up Task Manager and go to the PerformanceTab. If you are maxing out on CPU, memory or disks then your computer is very busy. Lots of applications like to leave processes (programs) running in the background. These all use CPU time and memory. Trainz itself, and especially T:ANE, can be very CPU, memory and I/O (disk access) intensive. The temporary freezing is because the program is waiting for data so it can update the screen.

Kind of like sucking a thick shake through a skinny straw. You will get there eventually, but it takes time. :)

Just freezing up, or stalling and stuttering while doing other things? There are many causes, but here's a few things to look at...

Just freezing can be failing hardware due to heat or bad components, or even corrupted data because the bits are scrambled and the computer goes off to bit heaven when it tries to process something, for a lack of a technical term for that. Sometimes even not enough CPU horsepower, or computer processing power overall can do this as Paul says, it's like sucking a Wendy's Frostie through a straw.

Stuttering in general is caused by background processes interrupting the general operation of everything else. Malware and other viruses will cause this as these applications run in the background and interrupt everything else as they collect information, install, stuff, and plain make your computer work harder.

Other things too such as, again, a corrupted operating system, a badly fragmented hard drive, or even a too full hard disk can cause this. A disk that's fragmented will cause programs to stutter as they try to load data. A too full a drive will have trouble trying to swap between memory and temporary space. Yes, even with lots of RAM you still need room for scratch space, and if the disk is full, this can cause issues here too.

Some things to look at and think about.

John

Simple answer ;o) Often due lack of preventive maintenance otherwise known as PC housekeeping.

I get stuttering and jumping in one particular place on a route: When a train goes past my railyard where there are 75 long parallel tracks close to each other, full of rolling stock, like half a square mile. The layout pattern seems to act like an interference mechanism on the video processor or something. :)

FxvCxuJ.jpg

Last edited:
I get stuttering and jumping in one particular place on a route: When a train goes past my railyard where there are 75 long parallel tracks close to each other, full of rolling stock, like half a square mile. The layout pattern seems to act like an interference mechanism on the video processor or something. :)

I think you answered your own question. It's most likely the requirement to load an awful lot of new asset data including assets with scripts. Again, its sucking thick shakes through a skinny straw. The answer - get a bigger straw.

(I don't know what a Wendy's Frostie is, but I guess it's something made from ice cream).

I think you answered your own question. It's most likely the requirement to load an awful lot of new asset data including assets with scripts. Again, its sucking thick shakes through a skinny straw. The answer - get a bigger straw.

(I don't know what a Wendy's Frostie is, but I guess it's something made from ice cream).

Me neither, but my Skinny Straw is using: Gigabyte HD4650 graphics (1 GB), with i5 Intel processor on a Gigabyte GA-Z68 board and 16GB ram. and Wendy still gets kinked!

Having seen your screenshot I think it supports my earlier assertion.

Your graphics card might not help. Although I used to run TS10/TS12 on a similar capability machine although with a better CPU.

T:ANE would probably make your PC disappear with a puff of smoke! :hehe: It is very demanding.

LOL, great shot, yep, that will sure make your GPU and CPU want to haemorrhage. :Y:

Back