War Trains

magickmaker

Thought I'd pass this along. Happened upon a rather interesting series of shows (old news reels) on one of my local channels. I'll talk to them about getting a copy of it, but here's pretty much waht it was.

War Trains.

How material was moved during WW2 to be exact. rather interesting in itself, but even neater was the information it gives.

Like this:

War trains were usually mixed. Meaning that they would have heavy weight passenger cars in front of several flat cars which carried the armored and unarmored vehicles. Interestingly, there were no cabosses. Rather they had a single little flag in the coupler.

Also, most every war train had one or two boxcars at the head end of the train (for gear and baggage) and a RPO car in the center. However the RPO didn't move mail, rather it was used as a kitchen car for the troops. Food would be carried in heavyweight baggage cars packed with ice, or in milk cars where available.

I have an article buried in a box that said some locomotive builders were tasked by the American government to regauge American steamers for use on European track.

Back in WW Deuce, improvising was the key word. If it was on wheels, it could be used to transport troops, arms and supplies. If it was usable, it could be scrapped to build more.

Back