W.I.P Altoon-Cresson pics

CSX5220

Trainz Bum for now
W.I.P Altoona-Cresson pics

Hello all

Some of you may know that I've been working on the Altoona-Cresson area for some time now. This thread is to show some of my work on the line.. Between some Trains Magazine articals, various web photos, a few hours of video footage and a few railfan tirps to the area, here are some what I call work in progress shots of Horseshoe Curve. I'd figured I would deateal the curve first as this is a major attraction. I havent been to the curve in a few years now (about 5) and im sure sence the last time I was there they removed the trees and foliage from the park.. Heres my interpartion of Horseshoe curve.
Im using real scale feet for the route so Its going to be very proto.

First Up: a "Sattelite pic" with a Westboud in the center of the curve. I stayed up all night long deaitling this area with trees. I will try to get some nice pics of some trains in a bit but for now here are these two shots:D ;)
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1015/highpicofhsc1ky9.jpg

Secondly, heres a shot a the visitors center at the bottom of the hill looking up-Notice the finicular and the stairs leading to the top of the hill?:cool:
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5185/roadhsc1iv3.jpg

Thats it for now hope you all enjoy

Happy Trainzin'
Mike S.

Last edited:
Looks like a good route, well done !

As for the funicular, there are two versions on the DLS, search for the username "Cyberstorm" (without quotemarks)

Thanks,
Gangsta_Boi

thanks Gangsta_Boi-

I was debating on how to make that look proto-In my case, I used the narrow gauge track only-
I figured there prob was something better than that thats out on the DLS.
thanks for the name Ill have to DL that

Mike:wave:

Cool, I go to school in this area. I assume you're also going to have the galitzin tunnels as well?

If you need pictures, I'll be back in school next september

rocketman321:
Yes the Tunnels will be included:D
I am working on Slope-Alto area right now then the Tunnel's will be next;)

Happy Trainzin'
Mike S.

Let me help!!!!!! I know more about this area then my hometown (no Altoona area is not my home town)

ok, if you do then K4, answer this:
what year was the first and foremost track added at Horsehoe?
I surely know it, and its been 5 yrs since i've been to Horseshoe.
BTW:
Nice route CSX5550. FYI, John B. of TER has made something similar to this, but i'd have to talk with him and see if he ever released it.
-- Sean

Awesome Project!!!! The Horseshoe Curve!!!

Oh yes, the enginering feat of the nineteenth century....:udrool: :mop: The conquest of the Allegheny Mountains the gateway to the West.....The Awesome Horseshoe Curve!!!!! (Trumpet Sounds)

Great start look forward to the rest of it!!!

ok, if you do then K4, answer this:
what year was the first and foremost track added at Horsehoe?
I surely know it, and its been 5 yrs since i've been to Horseshoe.
BTW:
Nice route CSX5550. FYI, John B. of TER has made something similar to this, but i'd have to talk with him and see if he ever released it.
-- Sean
it was built in the 1850's? and btw the one track was taken out in 1986. and the layout ter has is payware

Don't forget the museum and the turntable. and put a display loco on horshoe to look realistic

Back