Utter Confusion

BentFrog

Hi, I'm located in the US, so this post is directed to those who live here and can address the situation in this country.

I just read a recommendation for Trainz in Model Railroad Planning 2007. However, when I looked into purchasing a copy, I found numerous versions for sale, apparently from different companies (not retailers, but OEMs), including but not limited to Auran itself. User reports ranged from superb to junk. Complaints included bait and switch (add ons required for full functionality) and lack of documentation. Exactly what is included and what is not included in the various versions remains a mystery to me.

A visit to the Auran web site did not help a bit. I still can't make sense out of which version has what bits and pieces, and I remain with no clue as to which, if any, I should purchase. I am aware that Auran is in receivership.

So, can someone please clue me in on what I should buy? My interests are strictly US railroads in the mid 30s to mid 40s era, including but not limited to heavy interurbans with freight traffic, such as the Piedmont and Northern.

FWIW, I do NOT have high speed Internet access.

Thanks.
BentFrog

Trainz Railwayz is the most current version that being publish in the USA by Merscom. It can be found in most game stores. Best Buy, EB, etc.

It includes both Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006 & Trainz Classic. It goes for around $19.

I use Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004. I also have Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006, but I personally perfer 2004. You'll find mixed reactions here regarding 2006 vs 2004. I don't have Trainz Classics, but you can do a search here on the fourm and find many discussions regarding it. I believe that Drucifer is correct that here in the US, the latest version is Trainz Railwayz and includes 2006 and TC. I haven't actually seen it on any shelves where I shop yet. Every now and then, you'll run across a copy of 2004 or 2006 on a shelf somewhere.

Any version you buy from Auran direct does not require you to have the disk in the drive when played. The same cannot be said for the versions you buy from other marketers. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

You will get alot of different recommendations on which version to get but I would suggest reading through these forums and make you're own conclusion.

These forums are divided into three main groups. The hardcore TRS2004 users, TRS2006 users and the Trainz Classics (TC) users. You will get different views and opinons from each group of users.

Personally, I use TRS2004. I also have TRS2006 but do not use it. Trainz Classics is not of any interest to me so I have not purchased it.

Ultimately, the choice is yours to make.

Last edited:
Any version you buy from Auran direct does not require you to have the disk in the drive when played. The same cannot be said for the versions you buy from other marketers. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
None of the US releases require the disk to be in the drive....Just Trains is the only version I've heard about that does require it.....:cool:

Back