Trainz2009

srude

Hello to everyone in Trainzland and beyond.

As has been announced, TRS2009 will be a major step forward. Changes will be made in Surveyor, incorporating a number of needed improvements.

What about content creation?

Gmax and its associated gamepack have been the staple for producing content. However, the TRS2009 Dev site suggests that Blender will be the new platfrom.

I have investigated Blender to considerable length and it is not an intuitive program--not even close. Since this package is of European origin, the default measuring units are ostensibly meters. The smallest unit is one meter, though no one is sure of that, according to the responses provided on the Blender forum.

If Trainz 2009 goes with Blender, they would do everyone a huge favor by making easier for people to create objects in Blender, especially for those who still use foot measurements -- like us yanks, for instance!

Or, will TRS2009 still allow people to use the tried and true gmax based content creation pack?

The thing to remember is that Blender is freeware and whatever documentation there is, it is produced by those who have high software skills vs the rest of us, who, don't.

I hope that those who are working on TRS2009, give some thought to what I have posted.

However, if you have the money, you can buy 3Ds Max, which most all of the game developers use. Then your problem is solved.

I would hate to walk away from TRS2009 because content creation becomes too much of a burden.

Thanks for your attention,

A hopeful Trainzer.:)

see also here for more on this subject. You're not the first and will certainly not be the last to notice that the creation world is about to undergo a fundamental change. Wonder what it will look like once the dust settles? :eek:

I find it interesting that you do not like that blender uses meters. Personally I think this fits in very well with trainz CC; since TRS uses meters as its default measuring size (the grids are 10m (soon to be 5m). but for you yanks who don't get the more logical metric system; just remeber that 1m= ~1yd wich is 3ft.

peter

Blender and 2009

Hi,

I thank-you all for your responses.

Posting my concern about the Blender issue was the only way I could get a wide-ranging information base.

Myself, I have no problem using meters but others in the great U.S. of A. have no clue that the metric system even exists.

I have made simple models in Blender but could not quite get the hang of bending tubes, turning them into pipe elbows, etc.

I thank-you all again,

A Trainzer in the U.S.

I'm not having dig at you, but I think youll find that the US of A officially went metric many years ago, but almost the entire population ignored, and continues to ignore the fact. When Australia went metric around the same time, (I think it was 1966) our population bit the bullet and accepted it. Some people like myself sitll use both systems depending on what ruler we're holding, but metric makes so much sense nobody should have used feet and inches in the first place.

And yes, I agree that Blender is one tough nut to crack. I'd love to see some Trainz related tutorials which I'd only be to happy to host on my new web site.

Or, will TRS2009 still allow people to use the tried and true gmax based content creation pack?

From everything I've read at TrainzDev, there's nothing stopping you from using GMAX with TRS2009. You'll run into problems however if you want to incorporate some of the new features, such as normal maps. I'm not sure of the specifics because I use 3D Canvas.

I would hate to walk away from TRS2009 because content creation becomes too much of a burden.

I've worried that the new "standards" for content creation may well require more time and effort than I'm willing or able to give. However, remember that you can still do things the "old fashioned" way. Sure, the content might not be up to TRS09 standards, but that doesn't mean it's not good. As long as you're happy with it, who cares? At the very least, you can still create stuff for your own enjoyment. That's what I intend to do. So, there's no reason to walk away from TRS2009 as you can still enjoy all of the other features and improvements.

Patrick

i have a question too!

if the grid size changes, will older layouts from tc, 06 and 04 be compatible with 09???

I find it interesting that you do not like that blender uses meters. Personally I think this fits in very well with trainz CC; since TRS uses meters as its default measuring size (the grids are 10m (soon to be 5m). but for you yanks who don't get the more logical metric system; just remeber that 1m= ~1yd wich is 3ft.

peter

Incorrect:hehe: 1m = 39 1/2 inches. or there abouts.;)

Gmax and its associated gamepack have been the staple for producing content. However, the TRS2009 Dev site suggests that Blender will be the new platfrom.
No, you can create content in any program that can interface to the XML converter (although I believe only Blender can do this ATM).
I have investigated Blender to considerable length and it is not an intuitive program--not even close. Since this package is of European origin, the default measuring units are ostensibly meters. The smallest unit is one meter, though no one is sure of that, according to the responses provided on the Blender forum.
Who suggested that? Blender works in 'Blender Units' which can be anything you like. The current exporter assumes one Blender unit is a metre, but that could be changed to feet if enough people want it.
Yes.

Paul

if the grid size changes, will older layouts from tc, 06 and 04 be compatible with 09???

From what I've learned over at TrainzDev, the answer is yes. The old grid size can still be used. You have the option to choose between the new and the old when laying a baseboard. The idea is that more detailed sections of the map would benefit from the smaller grid, while farther away or less detailed sections could still use the old one to help with frame rates and such.

It's also my understanding that an old-style baseboard can be "switched" to the new 5m grid, so you could easily add extra ground detail to an older layout without having to re-built anything.

That being the case, there's no reason that older layouts wouldn't be useable. I'm sure there could be other issues with older routes, as there often are when a new version comes along, but I doubt this will be one of them.

Patrick

Back