TRAINZ RAILWAY SIMULATOR- working on laptops?

grahamgregson

i am currently using trainz 2004 and it is working perfectly but i thought it is about time i upgraded to a newer version, just as i was about to purchase TRAINZ RAILWAY SIMULATOR i noticed on the back there was a * and a not compatible with laptops next to it, was this refering to the specific graphics card in mention or the game in general?:confused:

thanks graham :)

I only use Trainz on laptops. It's not certain that it will work though unless you have a 'good' graphics card such as an Nividia or an ATI - cheap laptops often have integrated graphics (avoid SiS like the plague). That's why the statement is on the box.

Paul

Yeah, I've been using TRS06SP1 on this HP dv6575us for almost a year now, and I've never run into any problems (aside from the fact that it wasn't necessarily built for gaming). :)

I use TRS06 and TC on my Gateway Laptop right now. No Slow-downs, and the frame rates are pretty good.

Asus Z92T runs TC/TRS2006 brillaintly (and its fast!)
Clevo M37EW runs TC/TRS2006/TRS2004 with no trouble as well.
an IPC I had refused to run TRS at all and the Powerbook still has a copy of 06 on it! :)

Hello Graham, I used various versions of Trainz on a HP laptop for 4 years with very little problems, only the graphics and video cards may not have the same strength for playing simulator games on them, but as already stated, laptops were not originally intended for this type of entertainment....:hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

I've had no problem running on a Dell Precision M90, Precision M70, or Latitude D830 all with some version of Quadro M.

I also run 2006 on a fujitsu siemans with no problems - actually it is better than my full system. 2Gigs RAM, separate video card (not integrated) and 6700 dual core 2 processor with 17" monitor - great!

I have the latest version of TRS2006 running on a Dell Inspiron 1520 Vista laptop. The same laptop ran TRS2004 Version 2370 after a bit of tweaking for Vista.

I previously had TRS2004 running on a Compaq Presarion with a @800mhz Athlon chip, supposedly well below the required spec. The key seems to be having a proper graphics adaptor (Nvidia or ATI) rather than built in/integrated Intel graphics chip.

I suspect "laptops not supported" on software is a catch all caveat emptor to avoid tech support calls from those disillusioned laptop owners who can't run the game.

Last edited:
I have the latest version of TRS2006 running on a Dell Inspiron 1520 Vista laptop. The same laptop ran TRS2004 Version 2370 after a bit of tweaking for Vista.

I previously had TRS2004 running on a Compaq Presarion with a @800mhz Athlon chip, supposedly well below the required spec. The key seems to be having a proper graphics adaptor (Nvidia or ATI) rather than built in/integrated Intel graphics chip.

I suspect "laptops not supported" on software is a catch all caveat emptor to avoid tech support calls from those disillusioned laptop owners who can't run the game.

I run 2006-TC & 2008 on my laptop
ACER 9920
no problems

Cheap laptops often have integrated graphics (avoid SiS like the plague).
Paul
:eek:...... unless you think £450 is cheap, then you are wrong! I didnt know the SiS cards were so crap until i had a laptop with one! It can still run UTC, but thats about it. And my desktop is older than time itself.... only has 2.2GHz (slow.....:sleep:), 750MB odd RAM, and a crap nVidia GeForce MX 440 SE.... the one that wont run DX9, which virtually all games use now....:'(
Im hoping to replace the 256MB RAM Card with a 1GB soon, but depends how much a new Graphics card will be.....

Well, SiS graphics are not crap, they are just not designed for 3D graphic applications. They can barely run Windows and Office software.

Paul

I bought a second copy of TRS2004 for use while I was traveling. After a lot of emails back and forth with the Helpdesk I was informed that it (being TRS2004) was not tested nor was it intended for laptops. I have a Sony Vaio that exceeds the box specifications (greatly in some cases), but will will not run on my laptop. The box does NOT have the caveat about laptops on it. Had the statement been there I would have been spared the expense of a second copy.

Bill

trs2004 on MacBookPro

Running windows xp with bootcamp on my MacBookPro, mac osX 2.33 GHz Ingtel Core 2 Duo with 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and ATY,RadeonX1600 graphics.

TRS2004 runs with no problem.

TOM from Innsbruck

Back