Trainz 12 on Windows 7

The main (or the only) issue with Trainz on Windows 7 is that it must be run in Administrator mode.

How do I run it in Admin mode?
What are the other modes? Is this a disadvantage?

There are two ways, either right click and choose 'Run as Administrator' every time you want to run it, or, right click and select 'Properties', switch to the 'Compatibility' tab on the dialog box, and tick the 'Run this program as an administrator' box, and then click OK.

The second method will always run it as an admin just by clicking as normal.

What are the other modes? Is this a disadvantage?

The other mode is normal user mode with the dreaded "User Account Control" turned on and reduced system privileges. Trainz requires access to certain privileged system files which normal users are blocked from accessing.

The other mode is normal user mode with the dreaded "User Account Control" turned on and reduced system privileges. Trainz requires access to certain privileged system files which normal users are blocked from accessing.

From my experience that is only true if you install TRAINZ in the default "Program Files" Folder. I have TRAINZ 2010 installed in the Root Directory of my WIN7/TRAINZ partition and there are no issues with UAC or Privileges of any kind. I am also achieving extraordinary FPS with a relatively modest system.

tomurban

Last edited:
From my experience that is only true if you install TRAINZ in the default "Program Files" Folder. I have TRAINZ 2010 installed in the Root Directory of my WIN7/TRAINZ partition and there are no issues with UAC or Privileges of any kind.

From my understanding, to install anything in the root directory you must be logged on to the system as the Administrator anyway and not as a normal user.

I think it's more a problem with Home Premium than Pro Business or Ultimate. Home premium hasn't got access to fully control permissions, without resorting to registry hacks, even so that doesn't give you full access to all the options available in the higher versions.

I have ts2010 and ts2012 installed in the default locations. I never have to "run as" unless I am patching.

I think it's more a problem with Home Premium than Pro Business or Ultimate. Home premium hasn't got access to fully control permissions, without resorting to registry hacks, even so that doesn't give you full access to all the options available in the higher versions.

That could be the key as I am running WIN7 Ultimate 32bit.

I have TS12 running on a Win 7 64 bit Home Premium system. No run in compatibility mode or run as an administrator but I did install everything on a second harddisk D:. I think it is only if installed in the C:program Files or C:program Files(x86) folders that you have permission issues.

Back