Train assignment: Portal or Driver Setup

SP4ever

If you set up a consist's route when it's coming out of a portal, it isn't in Drivers Setup. Is there a way to set up train in DS if it's originating from a Portal?

You do this in the Portal, not in the Driver Setup Rule.

1. Open the Portal Properties window.
  2. Tick the checkbox Produce new trains
  3. Click the link Add new consist
  4. Click the link Add driver to consist
  5. Add a driver name and driver commands.

You can set the route up in the schedule library rule. Then in the portal you give the driver a copy commands from and select the schedule.

Because of a problem I've been experiencing recently, can I ask: should the commands/drivers be put into the portal while in 'edit session' and in the session layer?

You enter the driver commands in Surveyor Mode and they, like all session commands and rules, will be stored and saved as part of the Session Data, not the Route even if the portal has been placed in a session layer (which is something that I would not advise).

By entering the commands directly into the portal itself also adds them to the Session Data, you don't need to open the Session Editor to do that. Entering driver commands into the Driver Setup Rule in the Session Editor also adds them into the Session Data but does not assign them to a specific portal.

To be explicit, one CAN set up the portals with consists in the route, but it is bad practice and leads to all kinds of woe. The consists become part of the route and if a vehicle becomes faulty when Trainz moves on, that makes the route faulty.

Session-specific portals can be created and managed with <kuid2:117746:1024:10> Un-Portal and <kuid2:117746:1013:9> Central Portal Control by sforget. Because the route portals sometimes fail during a session (I have one in particular that often craps out after an hour or so) the Un-Portals may be preferable. Quick Portal Manager also works with them, if memory serves.

:B~)

Just an added note Trainz people:
With reference to the TANE product:
I play around with one of my routes and sessions called Bayside Rail.
Now in a session my programmed trains are added via a exit portal randomly.
The trains arrive at the other end of the route and disappear into an entry Portal that is programmed to accept and consume ALL train consists.
This works well however if one saves the progress of the session then reloads the session at another time a fault happens:
When the train consist arrives at the entry portal to be consumed the train stops at the entrance of the portal and freezes.
Other trains that arrive afterwards hold up the line.
All one can do is delete the train using the (delete icon) then the next train arrives at the portal and also freezes up.
This bug occurs when saving the session.
davies_mike57

Just an added note Trainz people:
With reference to the TANE product:
I play around with one of my routes and sessions called Bayside Rail.
Now in a session my programmed trains are added via a exit portal randomly.
The trains arrive at the other end of the route and disappear into an entry Portal that is programmed to accept and consume ALL train consists.
This works well however if one saves the progress of the session then reloads the session at another time a fault happens:
When the train consist arrives at the entry portal to be consumed the train stops at the entrance of the portal and freezes.
Other trains that arrive afterwards hold up the line.
All one can do is delete the train using the (delete icon) then the next train arrives at the portal and also freezes up.
This bug occurs when saving the session.
davies_mike57

This was always an issue with TANE. I haven't saved a running session in ages to find out if this is still an issue with TRS22+.

TANE and earlier versions had a problem when saving a running session. The current state of some session variables, such as the hide/show state of layers and portal settings, was not saved. So when the running session was reloaded, for example, layers that should have been hidden were now visible.

The layer show/hide problem was fixed in TRS19. I rarely use portals so I do not know about that issue.

Back