The Toledo Lake Erie and Western RR Needs your help!

JackieG

adam cant make a hotdog
The Toledo Lake Erie and Western Railway is a small Railway (or was) it is on ex-NKP and then N&W trackage. The Line goes from Waterville OH to Grand Rapids OH. Then line goes much farther on the other side of Grand Rapids but the Railroad didn't buy it. They have a 900ft bridge over a river. But they can't use it now because about 1 mile before it (coming from Waterville) the was a huge washout causing 30,000 dollars in damage. So the stoped running over the bridge and to Grand Rapids in 2003. But in the Spring of 2011 something i think is horribe happened. Ok they have 5 passengers cars. One was scraped in the Sping of 10. The other one is schuled for this summer. The three still running were vandlized. All the seat cushions were pulled of the frame and ripped apart causing 75,000 dollars in damge. They were also in the process of replage all ties for 8 miles. So the RR is only doing speeder riders every weekend for 3 miles. The have amazing equitment. A 0-6-0 Steam loco. (ALCo) A WWII troop car. 2 NKP cabbase, a wooden C&O cabbose (missing the coupla), a plain steel cabbose a 50 ft boxcar unlettered, a blue S-4s and a C&O switcher, and 7 40ft boxes. My Grandfater and mother live near the RR tracks. Here is more indepth History. I have some shots on my camera show u later! A link to donating. http://www.tlew.org/join.html

TLE&W History​

The Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway exists to educate the public what railroading was like in the 1900’s, and to preserve the feel of yesteryear as you travel along the 10 mile stretch of road which was once know on the Nickel Plate as the Cloverleaf District.
The TLE&W began its operations back in 1969 on a portion of track known as the Toledo terminal. The base of the operations at that time was near the University of Toledo on Dorr St. In the beginning the equipment consisted of borrowed cabooses and leased passenger cars. Eventually these items were replaced by donated Wabash Railroad coaches and ex-commuter units from Chicago.

The museum operated a leased locomotive from the Baltimore and Ohio railroad Museum. Number 377, a high steppin’ ten wheeler (4-6-0), built for speed on the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad.

The organization continued to use #377 for five years until the lease was not renewed by the B&O museum. The Michigan railroad Club came to the rescue by offering to donate 202, which had been sitting in Monroe, Mich. for nine years. Provided that TLE&W restore 202 to operation within 18 months they would donate the engine for posterity.

She was built by Baldwin for the Detroit-Edison power company to switch cars on site #202 an 0-6-0 steam engine would be utilized for 10 years until its annual flue time was expired.

In the mid-70s, it was becoming more and more apparent that the Toledo location was undesirable because of the frequent long periods of traffic back-ups where we crossed many busy city streets.

TLE&W was face with the first of several dilemmas; we needed a place to operate our museum. It was discovered that the Norfolk and Western Line from Grand Rapids to Waterville, Ohio was going to become abandoned. After investigation the TLE&W was able to acquire this 10 mile section of track to continue our operations as you see it today.

Some of the highlights of your 10 mile journey include a 900 foot bridge steel overhead girder bridge over the Maumee River, a log cabin dating back to the war of 1812, and the nostalgia of riding the old road. Our line is one of the longest remaining portions of the Cloverleaf Division to have survived.

Currently, TLE&W uses a 1946 Alco S-4 ex-C&O Switcher to power it trains.

I don't live too far from here... It seems like vandalism is all too common on these railroads with two 500LBS re-railing blocks stolen from the bluebird railroad in Water-ville

It i soo cool! Their loco they normal use has a wood cover over the engine area to work on it.

Then that would be why it seems so familiar. I haven't been there in a very long time.. But I remember crossing that bridge in around 2000

Yes i've been over to Waterville on road and that bridge over the river closed because of a track washout 1 mile towards Waterville. So they closed the bridge to Grand Rapids in 2003.

Back