Texture glitch help

bdubtrain

On the Strasburg railroad route I turned off the grass textures and this happened with some of the ground textures. Click the link to see what I mean. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2789566510
filedetails
filedetails
filedetails
filedetails

That looks identical to the "artifacts" I see along track and road splines my current route. It is, in my case, due to using PBR textures. These textures work by changing the terrain height slightly (just a few centimetres) but it is enough to create the "shadow-like" effect you see plus another effect where the texture "overlaps" the track/road spline like the corner of a sheet of paper.

The good news is that it is easy to resolve. In my case I simply reapply the texture that is under the spline, you will probably have to "sweep" the texture brush to each side of the spline at the affected places. But, in both cases (shadow and overlap) the problem can be removed.

Peter

To give an example from my current project, here are two screenshots - before and after.

Before texture fixing. The TRS19 Grid pattern is a PBR texture as are all the other textures shown in these screenshots.

PBR-Artifacts-Before.png

You can see both "artifacts", the "shadow" effect and the "overlap" effect on the road spline from the two PBR textures (the Grid pattern and the "dried mud" texture).

By painting a third PBR texture beneath the road spline, representing the road base as shown below, these effects can be removed.

PBR-Artifacts-After.png

The new texture may have to be applied to either side of the spline to completely eliminate the effects.

My observations.

Back