TER: Screenshot of the week!

CP Slocan Lake Division? How did you fit those 2 Tri-Axels, and that long of a train onto a railbarge? The Slocan Lake division was a small mountain route that served a lumber mill. The trains would leave Slocan City, B.C., via a small railbarge, and head up the lake to a barge slip near the yard at Rosebery. The small train, normally about 5-10 (40ft) cars long, would be assembled in Rosebery yard, before heading up into the mountains to the sawmill at Nakusp. Here the cars would be loaded, and the train would head back down the mountain and would be loaded onto the barge, which would head back to Slocan City. CP ran these small trains up into the 1980s, when they were discontinued. Tri-axel locomotives were not allowed to run on the rails due to the tight curves and light track used on the line. The trains were also small, and normally used a caboose as a spacer car. The locomotives used were things such as GP9s, and FM H-16-44s, mainly the older power. The trains would normally run once per week, and the line was completely unsignaled due to the fact that there wouldn't be more than one train on the line at any time.

I did a bit of research on the prototype before I created my version of the sub, which is available on USLW. Mine isn't actually prototypical, but is instead based on a HO route that was found in an issue of model railroader. Anyone interested in the trackplan, can find it here.(you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.)
http://www.trains.com/mrr/objects/pdf/mrr-i0708_a.pdf

I hope I didn't bore anyone with the history lesson. I was just a little confused at the name of the route under the picture.

Last edited:
CP Slocan Lake Division? How did you fit those 2 Tri-Axels, and that long of a train onto a railbarge? The Slocan Lake division was a small mountain route that served a lumber mill. The trains would leave Slocan City, B.C., via a small railbarge, and head up the lake to a barge slip near the yard at Rosebery. The small train, normally about 5-10 (40ft) cars long, would be assembled in Rosebery yard, before heading up into the mountains to the sawmill at Nakusp. Here the cars would be loaded, and the train would head back down the mountain and would be loaded onto the barge, which would head back to Slocan City. CP ran these small trains up into the 1980s, when they were discontinued. Tri-axel locomotives were not allowed to run on the rails due to the tight curves and light track used on the line. The trains were also small, and normally used a caboose as a spacer car. The locomotives used were things such as GP9s, and FM H-16-44s, mainly the older power. The trains would normally run once per week, and the line was completely unsignaled due to the fact that there wouldn't be more than one train on the line at any time.

I did a bit of research on the prototype before I created my version of the sub, which is available on USLW. Mine isn't actually prototypical, but is instead based on a HO route that was found in an issue of model railroader. Anyone interested in the trackplan, can find it here.(you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.)
http://www.trains.com/mrr/objects/pdf/mrr-i0708_a.pdf

I hope I didn't bore anyone with the history lesson. I was just a little confused at the name of the route under the picture.

Just as your route; Mine isn't actually prototypical, but based in part off the HO route.

The 6 axles are on the mainline, that connects to the switching route.;)

Ah, I see. So you removed the whole barge thing, and had the sub be serviced by a mainline instead? That's cool, though I prefer the barge myself, just because of the rustic-ness of it, but to each his own.

So, are you going to be releasing this route at any time? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Ah, I see. So you removed the whole barge thing, and had the sub be serviced by a mainline instead? That's cool, though I prefer the barge myself, just because of the rustic-ness of it, but to each his own.

So, are you going to be releasing this route at any time? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

I never said anything of removing the barge to rail operation.

I never said anything of removing the barge to rail operation.

The route will be a free summer gift to all of my customers.

Last edited:
Ah, well there would really be no point to the barge if it is serviced by a mainline, as I am sure that it would be faster just to bring it to a yard and run the mainline to Slocan City, but the choice is yours.

Anyway, is there any way that I can grab a copy of the route, because I am interested in seeing other people's interpretations of things that I have done as well. I promise that I will not post any screenshots of it or anything like that. I am truely curious, as I am sure you would be if I did a Y&S route.

Ah, well there would really be no point to the barge if it is serviced by a mainline, as I am sure that it would be faster just to bring it to a yard and run the mainline to Slocan City, but the choice is yours.

Anyway, is there any way that I can grab a copy of the route, because I am interested in seeing other people's interpretations of things that I have done as well. I promise that I will not post any screenshots of it or anything like that. I am truely curious, as I am sure you would be if I did a Y&S route.

Island town - barge - switching branch - mainline. Simple.

I would be very interested in viewing your YS route, as would my local friends who run the real route everyday;)

I have been seriously thinking about it for a while now. (before yours was released BTW.) A small route would actually be pretty cool. Though right now I am focusing on my Mayburry Northern route. Maybe for my next project.

The island town thing sounds about right, actually it makes alot more sense then running the mainline through the thick mountains around the sub. My suggestion is to not make it an island though. Just make it that the barge is coming further up the lake before making the connection to Slocan city. It would be a bit more like the prototype. I was actually thinking of doing something similar, but with the restrictions of railbarge travel in TRS, it just didn't seem feasable. But if you have a way, I would be VERY interested in hearing it.

But anyway, like I said, I would be very interested in seeing your interpretation of this route.

I have been seriously thinking about it for a while now. (before yours was released BTW.) A small route would actually be pretty cool. Though right now I am focusing on my Mayburry Northern route. Maybe for my next project.

The island town thing sounds about right, actually it makes alot more sense then running the mainline through the thick mountains around the sub. My suggestion is to not make it an island though. Just make it that the barge is coming further up the lake before making the connection to Slocan city. It would be a bit more like the prototype. I was actually thinking of doing something similar, but with the restrictions of railbarge travel in TRS, it just didn't seem feasable. But if you have a way, I would be VERY interested in hearing it.

But anyway, like I said, I would be very interested in seeing your interpretation of this route.

Thanks for the advice.

You were considering creating the Youngstown Southern. Its a really cool railroad; you have very good taste in routes.

Thank you. I just like random shortlines, and PA is a beautiful area to model. (Hence why my Mayburry Northern has moved from Vermont, down to Central Pennsylvania.) Plus, the boxcabs were pretty cool.

Another advantage of doing it is that the tracks are pretty much still there, (unlike the Reading Shamokin Division) so it would be pretty easy to reproduce. But like I said, that is project for another day.

By the way, to tell you the truth, I was surprised that you actually decided to take on a project in the Canadian Rockies due to the pine forests. I mean, your strength is in placing alot of vegetation and not as much in texturing because of the vegetation covering the textures, and as most people know, Pine Forests aren't really grassy at all, due to the acidity of the pine needles making it so the soil cannot support its growth.
That is actually another reason why I am interested in seeing your work on this route. I always like seeing what people can do when they are forced to focus on making something with their weaker skills, than with their strengths. (plus my computer might actually be able to run it without slideshowing. lol)

Last edited:
By the way dude. Do you have any idea where I can find some good images of YS stuff? My internet search isn't coming up with much.

Well, if you are willing, you can send them my way. I am really interested in creating this route once my Mayburry Northern route has at least a major chunk of it done.

So are the Catenaries still up, or are they long gone. It is the Younstown Southeastern now right?

By the way, do you have any plans on sending your Slocan Lake sub my way when you send it out.

Well, if you are willing, you can send them my way. I am really interested in creating this route once my Mayburry Northern route has at least a major chunk of it done.

So are the Catenaries still up, or are they long gone. It is the Younstown Southeastern now right?

By the way, do you have any plans on sending your Slocan Lake sub my way when you send it out.

I,ve spent over $200 collectively in gas alone; visiting all the sites multiple times along the route, in order to obtain the photographs.

I'm not going to send them to you; only to build the route for free.

The Slocan line will be a gift to my customers, and your not one of them.

Last edited:
Hey Guys

If you want to have a personal discussion of this, maybe PM is a good alternative.

Cheers

AJ

Okay, I understand the cost of the photos Grogstop.

If you really don't want to give me a copy of the route, that is your decision, though I think that I might have been the inspiration for you creating it. I was just curious to see what another person's version of it was.

Unfortunately AJ_Fox, PM won't work because Grogstop's inbox is full, and has been for some time, so this is the only alternative. Though it is off topic, is our conversation really bothering anyone?

Bothersome ? Quite, the contrary, as he is a payware creator, the discusions are adding some good advertisement for his routes. Looking forward to more screenshots from both of you !

Back