Spline lag in route Surveyor

jrfolco

Route Builder
I'm been having trouble, for some time, with sluggish spline loading on my current route the "PRR Pittsburgh to Harrisburg". It takes as long as 3 or 4 minutes for yard trackage to appear. This happens with track, road, and bridge splines. I'm currently constructing the route in Trainz Plus, build 119380. I've been constructing the route on and off for about 5 years. It originated in TANE.
I've also run extended and regular database repairs, but that doesn't help much.

I have my antivirus program and backup software set to not run in Game Mode.
My vertical sync is set to Full, but I'm only showing 20 to 25 FPS in Surveyor, while I'm getting 60 FPS in other routes. For example, another of my routes, the "Baltimore to Connellsville and West Mega Route", which is 1.5 times the size of the "PGH to Harrisburg", and also originated in TANE, is showing 60 FPS in TRS22 Surveyor, and has no spline lag. Both routes run well in Driver.

I recently replaced my 6 year rig with a new setup. The specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i9-11900K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX
GPU: EVGA Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070T
Memory: 32 MB Crucial.
Power Supply: Corsair RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt.

Every so often, the route opens without any spline lag, and shows 60 FPS in Surveyor, but the next time it's opened, the spline lag reappears along with 20 to 25 FPS max. Why this occurs, I don't know.
I use HWMonitor to check temperatures, and I'm not having a problem with overheating.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

I have the same issue. The data loads up quickly in Content Manager but when it comes to the routes in Surveyor and Driver, it's horrible.

I was told it's the data not being precached, but I've precached the data and it's still slow loading. I lowered the resolution too I'm operating at and it's still an issue but not as bad. I also found lowering the V-Sync to half also helps. I think it's this particular version of TRS22+ because the beta version loads the same routes a lot faster.

The worst part is having tracks and roads draw themselves in as we drive along and sometimes completely disappear when switching from one location to another on the route. Zooming out, we can see the track splines, but moving in close the tracks and everything will be there then it all disappears and then loads back in S L O W L Y before finally appearing.

Possibility - power-off/on then see if faster load

Is the basic version of this route the one on the DLS?
I tried that with my old PC and it was not useable.
New PC similar to yours but less memory.
Need to try the DLS version again.
Dick

Dick

It doesn't work, I tried.

Similar specs as well except I have a GTX3080, i9-12600K and 64 GB of RAM. It's a new Dell system because my older system died in late January.

Hi Joe,

I have the same issue. The data loads up quickly in Content Manager but when it comes to the routes in Surveyor and Driver, it's horrible.

I was told it's the data not being precached, but I've precached the data and it's still slow loading. I lowered the resolution too I'm operating at and it's still an issue but not as bad. I also found lowering the V-Sync to half also helps. I think it's this particular version of TRS22+ because the beta version loads the same routes a lot faster.

The worst part is having tracks and roads draw themselves in as we drive along and sometimes completely disappear when switching from one location to another on the route. Zooming out, we can see the track splines, but moving in close the tracks and everything will be there then it all disappears and then loads back in S L O W L Y before finally appearing.

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply.
What you just described is exactly the problem I have, except my route runs well in Driver. As I mentioned in my OP, The Baltimore to Connellsville and West Mega route, which is 1.5 times larger than the Pittsburgh to Harrisburg route, works well in TRS22 Surveyor, without any spline lag. Both routes are build 5.2. Also, in my other routes, I'm getting 60 FPS in Surveyor, but in the Pittsburgh to Harrisburg route, the frame rates in Surveyor are only 20 to25 FPS.

Joe

Dick

Hi Dick,

Yes, it is the basic version on the DLS merged with an Altoona to Harrisburg DEM.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply.
What you just described is exactly the problem I have, except my route runs well in Driver. As I mentioned in my OP, The Baltimore to Connellsville and West Mega route, which is 1.5 times larger than the Pittsburgh to Harrisburg route, works well in TRS22 Surveyor, without any spline lag. Both routes are build 5.2. Also, in my other routes, I'm getting 60 FPS in Surveyor, but in the Pittsburgh to Harrisburg route, the frame rates in Surveyor are only 20 to25 FPS.

Joe

I had the same framerate issue with my big route. I found lowering to half helped with that by keeping the framerate consistent at 30. Now, I'm wondering if it's the kind of track. You have the older Jointed Rail track in your B&O route, correct? Are you using the new procedural track in the Pennsy route? It may be all the extra mesh bits that are causing a drag on the video card and causing the splines, and other objects, to load slowly until they're cached.

Driver for me is okay in some routes, I should've clarified that. I mean, loading is the slowest but once in everything is fine until I switch locations on the route.

Just for kicks, I'm going to swap out the track on my big route. I'll lose the nice switches, but if this works, to heck with the fancy stuff and I'll deal with that another time. The switch out will be pretty simple, I think.

Last edited:
I did some track changing and I can confirm that it's the track. I switched from procedural track to one of the JR tracks, well two actually one new and one a rusty version and the session loads up quickly without the lag as the splines and other assets load.

I then loaded up a copy of the original version with the procedural track in the TRS22+ beta and the route and session loaded up just as fast. This means that we can confirm that this is the track that's causing the issue and that it's been fixed, or appears to be fixed, in the new version set to be released soon(tm).

I have had the same situation off/on with a fairly large route, 180mb. I call the lag "the wait a minute," In my case it was all splines and fixed track, very frustrating! I have the same set-up as the OP has but with a RTX 3060. I did what was advised by Christopher824, changed post processing setting to low. I also fiddled with Nivida's settings as well, don't ask. It looks that the lag has been fixed in my case, stay tuned.

John

I did some track changing and I can confirm that it's the track. I switched from procedural track to one of the JR tracks, well two actually one new and one a rusty version and the session loads up quickly without the lag as the splines and other assets load.

I then loaded up a copy of the original version with the procedural track in the TRS22+ beta and the route and session loaded up just as fast. This means that we can confirm that this is the track that's causing the issue and that it's been fixed, or appears to be fixed, in the new version set to be released soon(tm).

Hi John,
I've ben using Msgsapper's SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG since it came out, and I think it's really great track, however I decided to temporarily substitute JR's non procedural track. It had no effect on the lagging.

Yesterday I decided to reinstall TRS22 and it made a big improvement in performance. I didn't have much time to try it out last evening, but this morning while going through the Forum, I noticed that TRS22 SP-1 (Build 119450) had been released, so I downloaded and installed it. It seems to have solved my problem, but time will tell. It's possible that you and I may have totally different problems ending with the same situation.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
Joe

Last edited:
I have had the same situation off/on with a fairly large route, 180mb. I call the lag "the wait a minute," In my case it was all splines and fixed track, very frustrating! I have the same set-up as the OP has but with a RTX 3060. I did what was advised by Christopher824, changed post processing setting to low. I also fiddled with Nivida's settings as well, don't ask. It looks that the lag has been fixed in my case, stay tuned.

John

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. It seems that you've solved your problem. I hope it's permanent.

Joe

Back